• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is great. I'm all for natural remedies. Something about radiating a cancer victim and killing their immune system seems to be counter-intuitive to saving their life.

Scientists discover how broccoli fights cancer
    Broccoli has been hailed as a 'superfood' after several studies suggested it had anti-cancer properties.

Now scientists have identified a chemical in the vegetable which interact with genes involved in cancer development.

The chemical called sulforaphane seems to counteract a fault with the gene called PTEN which is involved in prostate cancer.

The gene normally stops cancer from developing but in certain cells it is missing and this is when the disease can begin. However sulforaphane seems to dampen the effect of these cells that are missing PTEN and prevent them from triggering cancer growth.

The study was conducted by a team at the Institute of Food Research at the Norwich Research Park, using prostate tissue from men and cancerous cells from mice.

The discovery could lead to new treatments for the disease which affects 36,000 men a year.

The findings are published in the journal BioMed Central, Molecular Cancer.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I wonder if there is a significant difference between frozen/fresh broccoli and raw/cooked.

I definitely prefer steamed broccoli over raw and I usually buy it frozen because it lasts so much longer.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I wonder if there is a significant difference between frozen/fresh broccoli and raw/cooked.

I definitely prefer steamed broccoli over raw and I usually buy it frozen because it lasts so much longer.

There's not a huge difference. It changes molecules and such when you cook it, but it doesn't decrease the healthiness.

Now, steamed in the bag vegetables, stay away from those. Very bad.

I buy frozen and fresh vegetables.

Top Bottom