• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    Agreed on the ammo issue. I would only trade ammo with very close friends, and no one else.

Something I've been thinking about is the basic medium of exchange, or at least how to measure it. My thoughts are that it will be the amount that it takes to keep a person fed and watered for one day. That would basically be 2 quarts of clean water and the equivalent to 3 cans of food.

Instead of saying "dollars", maybe people will say "days". Trade your labor? If it's unskilled, your work might be worth "1 day". If it is skilled (mechanic, electrician) you could possibly charge 2 or 3 days. If it is specialized (doctor, with basic tools of the job), you could charge even more for your time.

There are a few wild cards that come to mind. Bartering for sex would depend on how cute the person selling it is. Maybe single veterans without families of their own to watch could trade security for room and board.

chrisjross85

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville,IN
    As far as the not returning items from a hundred yards, well you got to think there are going to be alot of desperite people out there that will band together. I say I keep everything I can and give no ammo out or lead anyone including friends to thinking I have much of a stock.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Like I said, they can come and get anything. Just because you traded them a can of Spam doesn't mean they are unarmed and won't try to shoot you and take everything you have.

The key is to be careful as chrisjross said and don't let on that you have a whole lot of anything.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I would have to know someone very well to barter with them....I think if SHTF there will be market places for barter eventually. Someone who is bartering for water is already a Zombie.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Chicory roots can be dried, roasted and ground and used like coffee...I have been looking for some non-gmo chicory seeds.

Done the chicory root thing and dandelion roots too. Personally I think it tastes horrible.

But something most don't think of is yeast, baking powder and baking soda. Very important for making any kind of bread.

We are experimenting with sourdough yeast which my wife read about. The yeast renews almost indefinitely if done right. A little sourdough yeast can be also be used to make more. Apples also can be used to make yeast so I'm told but my wife is becoming the expert on this so I don't know all the details.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Done the chicory root thing and dandelion roots too. Personally I think it tastes horrible.

But something most don't think of is yeast, baking powder and baking soda. Very important for making any kind of bread.

We are experimenting with sourdough yeast which my wife read about. The yeast renews almost indefinitely if done right. A little sourdough yeast can be also be used to make more. Apples also can be used to make yeast so I'm told but my wife is becoming the expert on this so I don't know all the details.
    Any yeast can be grown into an unlimited amount. Just activate it, feed it and keep it warm, the more you feed it, the more you get. We keep yeast, soda and powder.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010

There are dozens of different 'coffee substitutes' you can find, none of them that I've found have caffeine. I have some Ma haung/Ephedra seeds ready to be planted this spring. They make a caffeinated tea.

Seeds would be a good barter item at the beginning of a long term event, but a season or two later they will be very plentiful and f low value, at least of low value to anyone who has anything going for them.

Top Bottom