• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Good advice! I do wish he would have mentioned non-gmo heirloom and heritage seed though. They will replenish themselves annually!

:yesway:

All the seeds used to be "heritage seed" but today with all the GMO crap the industry is producing it's getting harder to find heritage seeds.
    This way they make you buy new seeds each year. :noway:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Barter items would be a good thing to have but unfortunately I don't think a lot of people in general will have much to barter with. I'm definitely not going to say to not have stuff put back for bartering but I have little faith in others.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Barter items would be a good thing to have but unfortunately I don't think a lot of people in general will have much to barter with. I'm definitely not going to say to not have stuff put back for bartering but I have little faith in others.
    There are more reasons to consider than just trading for goods....perhaps a genny goes kapoot and you find someone with the skills or parts you don't have? Suppose you break your leg and need someone to put up wood or labor in the garden? What if someone gets injured or ill and needs meds you didn't put up? Last pair of glasses broke? Barter doesn't necessarily mean setting up a store and is an essential part of surviving in a post TEOTWAWKI society.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    There are more reasons to consider than just trading for goods....perhaps a genny goes kapoot and you find someone with the skills or parts you don't have? Suppose you break your leg and need someone to put up wood or labor in the garden? What if someone gets injured or ill and needs meds you didn't put up? Last pair of glasses broke? Barter doesn't necessarily mean setting up a store and is an essential part of surviving in a post TEOTWAWKI society.

I get what you are saying and services would be the main purpose for barter that I can see around here. Obviously glasses and meds would be a major bartering tool if someone really needs them.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Ive been buying 200ml/half pints of my favorite burbon and drinking it
    Clean the bottles and stored, then have a couple of half gals of rotgut and will refill the small ones with it
    I will tell them they are refills of cheap stuff but if its bad enough people wont care, as long as they can get a drunk on they will drink it

And unused bottles will make nice little molotov cocktails

ironstarr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    mishawaka
    Cats , I have hundreds of cats . Best barter item ever.. Who will turn down a cute kitty in a disaster? No one.. Besides a friendly companion, excellent entree as well ;)

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I like ammo. .22 will be a good currency and people are not very likely to come after you with it. Heck, you can even wrap it up so it is hard to get out of the package very quickly.

chrisjross85

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville,IN
    I believe seeds are where it is for many reasons there are so many seeds you can germinate and eat right away so in the case that the disaster last longer than you thought than you have a source of food by placing them in a damp paper towel. Otherwise you can help by growing crops and bartering either the crops or seeds. I my self have buckets of seeds and use them every year in my garden and restock what I use. I can see and understand the liquor because there are a lot of motors that can run on anything 100 proof or better and well yea the world as we know it is coming to a end lets get drunk. Ammo on the other hand last thing I'm giving away, if you have enough to barter with then they will know theirs more where that came from. Food for thought

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I believe seeds are where it is for many reasons there are so many seeds you can germinate and eat right away so in the case that the disaster last longer than you thought than you have a source of food by placing them in a damp paper towel. Otherwise you can help by growing crops and bartering either the crops or seeds. I my self have buckets of seeds and use them every year in my garden and restock what I use. I can see and understand the liquor because there are a lot of motors that can run on anything 100 proof or better and well yea the world as we know it is coming to a end lets get drunk. Ammo on the other hand last thing I'm giving away, if you have enough to barter with then they will know theirs more where that came from. Food for thought

Very good point.

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Everyone has listed good points, however I feel like there is one item that has been left out. That item is black pepper,this is a food staple time that is in everything that people consume. The most important thing about black pepper it is not even grown in this part of the world. Further more it is a item that everyone can afford to buy and have stock piles of. Just remember when buying any spices in bulk whole is king.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    skills. tobacco and coffee are luxury items. sure, yeager might get rich off his stores of tobacco, but skills will last a lot longer than things you horde. learn a trade. know things. know how to build shelters, work metal, wood, first aid, etc. there's going to be a lot of useless people in the coming future, the man that knows things will rule them.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    skills. tobacco and coffee are luxury items. sure, yeager might get rich off his stores of tobacco, but skills will last a lot longer than things you horde. learn a trade. know things. know how to build shelters, work metal, wood, first aid, etc. there's going to be a lot of useless people in the coming future, the man that knows things will rule them.

THIS!

Mechanical, electrical, medical, agricultural skills, the more advanced the better. I, personally, believe that a person's ability to be useful will be his greatest asset when things go tribal.

-Paul

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Other items that I think could prove to be useful;
    Barber skills
    Tanning hides
    Spinning wool/cotton into yarn

Just to name a few

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Everyone has listed good points, however I feel like there is one item that has been left out. That item is black pepper,this is a food staple time that is in everything that people consume. The most important thing about black pepper it is not even grown in this part of the world. Further more it is a item that everyone can afford to buy and have stock piles of. Just remember when buying any spices in bulk whole is king.
    LOL, funny you mentioned this. I keep a pretty large stash of spices and was just going through and inventorying them this afternoon.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have a few boxes of these

picture.php

Top Bottom