• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Anyone else experience going in and looking at new guns and want to ask if a gun is used because it looks used? I keep going into this store and I swear some of the guns just look filthy and nicked up. I keep looking at this 1911 and it looks like it has a sticky residue with dirt on it. Maybe I'm just too picky but if I owned a store I would at least wipe down the merchandise sometimes. I never buy from him because he is usually much higher and then hovers about 200 more than most once you get in the higher priced pistols/handguns.

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    I looked at a "new" stainless 1911 in a LGS recently that had black oily residue in every crevice and every other place residue could accumulate. I double-checked the price tag and it did say "new". I realize guns are test fired and this was an import so maybe it was test fired a second time(?) but how many rounds does it take to test a gun? This one looked mighty suspicious.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Some companies take the time to run at least one magazine through the pistol instead of just one or two to collect the empty cartridges for the data base.

Heck my new FNX45 looked like it had at least a box of ammo run through it. :):
    I see these same comments when someone buys a AR15 BCG from Bravo Company, they wonder if it is "used".

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have bought several new pistols that were filthy. I think they were test fired, sighted and stuffed in the box. Lazy on there part I guess.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    Colt 1911 I bought was coated in goop. XD I bought had the same gunk on the slide, but not to the extent that the Colt had. Seems to be the same stuff that comes on milled accessories IMHO.

Both came from a distributor, they weren't pieces from a LGS.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I tear down and completely clean and lube any new or used piece I bring home. I have my own ideas on lube and want to start out with a clean slate.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    As long as there's no actual damage to anything, just tear it down and clean it once you get it home (you should do this anyway). As has been said, different companies test their parts to different extents, and they may get more or less grit and grime on the parts depending on the extent of the testing.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I tear down and completely clean and lube any new or used piece I bring home. I have my own ideas on lube and want to start out with a clean slate.

This^
    I know RIA sends their pistols packed in a shipping grease/oil that's heavier than normal oil but not as heavy as cosmoline.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Anyone else experience going in and looking at new guns and want to ask if a gun is used because it looks used? I keep going into this store and I swear some of the guns just look filthy and nicked up. I keep looking at this 1911 and it looks like it has a sticky residue with dirt on it. Maybe I'm just too picky but if I owned a store I would at least wipe down the merchandise sometimes. I never buy from him because he is usually much higher and then hovers about 200 more than most once you get in the higher priced pistols/handguns.

teach you to touch an RIA 1911. :D

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Seems like most of the new guns I buy are pretty heavily coated in oil. The barrels usually have evidence of test firing. As long as they're not scratched, nicked or corroded, dirty new guns don't bother me. Even the most pristine new gun should be cleaned and lubed when you bring it home.

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    A lot of companies are doing this as of late Rossi has been going over bored. I help out at a shop and usually you can whip them down 3 or 4 times. Some of it is just like slim. Even the inside mags are covered

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    There's a local gun shop that lists things "Used as New". Now what the heck is that? If it's used it can't be new now can it? And it ain't like it's priced any cheaper for being used.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I used to go into a prominent gun shop on Indy's south side and it used to drive me nuts that the pistols seemed to be almost stacked onto each other. I know you might be short of space, but who wants to buy a new pistol that has scratches on it because of mishandling by the stores employees. Their display almost looked like a jigsaw puzzle they were in there so tight.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    I used to go into a prominent gun shop on Indy's south side and it used to drive me nuts that the pistols seemed to be almost stacked onto each other. I know you might be short of space, but who wants to buy a new pistol that has scratches on it because of mishandling by the stores employees. Their display almost looked like a jigsaw puzzle they were in there so tight.

Sounds like my LGS in my post. He also leaves out your paperwork out on the counter. I returned after 2 weeks of purchasing a gun and he said I was just looking at your paperwork. My personal information was just laying out on the counter with several others just open for everyone to see. I usually have to slide over his paperwork just to window shop. He also has a couple days worth of deliveries by the front door.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Have had a few well lubed new models. I also clean and inspect/ reassemble with light lube per manuals. Found some gunky stuff usually on slide rails and on the dust cover(slide), mags as well. Most manufactors advise cleaning before firing, so I try to follow their guidelines. Never an issue.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I looked at a pistol in that suspected gun store and was interested in purchasing it.....1911 in the $1200 range. I decided not to as I have pistols that have more than 1k rounds through em that look to be in bettter shape than the said pistol. I even asked, "Are you guys sure this is new" and they gave me the standard "manufacturer test fire" statement. This pistol has even has a little wear at the muzzle and copper fouling in the barrel if I remember correctly. Just makes you wonder about business practices.:twocents:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Sounds like my LGS in my post. He also leaves out your paperwork out on the counter. I returned after 2 weeks of purchasing a gun and he said I was just looking at your paperwork. My personal information was just laying out on the counter with several others just open for everyone to see. I usually have to slide over his paperwork just to window shop. He also has a couple days worth of deliveries by the front door.

He's obviously doing something right if you're not only spending money there, but keep going back.

Top Bottom