• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    How many rounds do you reload, and, does your left thumb / hand / etc. get sore from turning that index wheel repeatedly?

I don't want to pay the money and find there's an irritating ergonomic issue I could have avoided by paying a little more...thanks for your help!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I reloaded about 5K rnds this past year and usually do at least 500 at a time. My thumb never gets sore indexing the press. It moves quite easily.

Have you ever tried loading on one? If you're close by I'd let you come give my 550 a test drive if you wanted.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My left hand sometimes gets cramped/tired from holding and placing the bullets, mainly the smaller ones (9mm, .224), but not at all from turning the shell plate. I've done 20k+ per year at times, sometimes a couple k per day, at a rate of ~10 minutes per 100. Now that I'm shooting less and have a more permanant setup, I load smaller batches more frequently vs marathon sessions and I don't notice it at all.

The shell plate turns very easily.

-rvb

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I usually load 200-500 at at a time and I don't have any thumb issues.
    I will say that the auto indexing feature of the 650 along with the case feeder would speed things up

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you're susceptible to repetitive stress injuries, I'd say stay away. Otherwise, unless you chain yourself to the machine for 4+ hours at a time, I'd say you'd be OK.

I load 500-1000 at a time. After 1k, I'm ready for a break and a beer.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I can't wait to see if my thumb gets sore. I'm going to be buying a 550 this spring and am very excited to get going. I think I watched a video on utube of setting up this machine and when tightening the center down u make sure it turns easily when done. Sound right?

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    I only load 1-200 in a setting so no probs here. If you are going to regret not getting the 650, it's because it loads twice as fast. I don't load enough to justify one (3-5k per year), but I also think how nice it would be to load twice as much in the same time...

Honestly, if you are new to progressives or reloading and won't be loading a ton, the 550 is the way to go. If you are going to do fewer calibers in high numbers and have a solid reloading background, the 650 is probably your best bet.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    How many rounds do you reload, and, does your left thumb / hand / etc. get sore from turning that index wheel repeatedly?

I don't want to pay the money and find there's an irritating ergonomic issue I could have avoided by paying a little more...thanks for your help!

As a Dillon 550 and 650 longtime owner I am inclined to recommend the newer Hornady LNL AP. My priming systems have always been a PITA on my Dillons along with the powder measure's being cheezy. My biggest gripe is the play (Vertical) in the die holders and the press itself. Even though the play is only a few thousands it still irritates me because it gives me inconsistent seating depths and inconsistent crimps.

Some day I hope to sell my 550, 650 and buy a Super 1050. IMO that is one bad azz press system!:twocents:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    As a Dillon 550 and 650 longtime owner I am inclined to recommend the newer Hornady LNL AP. My priming systems have always been a PITA on my Dillons along with the powder measure's being cheezy. My biggest gripe is the play (Vertical) in the die holders and the press itself. Even though the play is only a few thousands it still irritates me because it gives me inconsistent seating depths and inconsistent crimps.

Some day I hope to sell my 550, 650 and buy a Super 1050. IMO that is one bad azz press system!:twocents:

I noticed the play in the tool head, like you say, probably .003-.005" , I have a couple of ideas on how to take the play out, but all in all, I assembled the 650 and starting making rounds immediately with zero issues, but it has only cycled @ 1500 rounds so far

Top Bottom