• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Im an idiot when it comes to anything electronic. I'm in the market for a GOOD digital camera that doesn't take a masters degree to operate. I don't need 1000000000x zoom, I don't need to spend $2,999, and I don't need something with a bazillion options. I need a camera to do the following.

Get placed in glovebox (council, armrest, etc)

Be able to ride in said location for the majority of its life without self destructing.

Take quality pictures of myself, a hunting buddy, a black lab or a combination of the 3 surrounded by or holding dead animals.

It seems like every time we have a really good hunt or somebody takes a good deer, nobody has a camera. Next thing you know we only have 1 picture of said deer with the hunter holding its head up while it's hanging in the meat shed. Not a good picture for the ol' album!!

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

griff5687

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Go with one of the newer compact nikons. 8mp and up. Less than $200. Another company just put out a cam, I wanna say Fuji. Submersible up to 30ft. The ad showed them taking pics under water

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sony cybershot. 7 megapixel and up. If you are going to take it fishing or around sandy locations they sell a waterproof shell fairly inexpensively. Downside (Upside to me) it has rechargeable batteries instead of regular AAA or AA. Don;t get one that uses the old 123 batteries the batteries are expensive and don't last long. Nikon coolpics also work but they do seem quite as rugged as the sony. In fact they all are a little delicate.

Here is a photo of my work at lucas oil stadium (not a big deer or dog) taken with the sony. Just a big old speaker.
    DSC02184.jpg

The blur was me and morning coffee.
    how bout a deer.
    deer1.jpg

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I got a new camera for my Birthday this year. It's a Polaroid T1455. Fourteen MP with 5x optical zoom. Has a lot of features but easy to operate. Takes great pics and video. I think my mom paid around $130 for it. I highly recommend one.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    All the major brands make a good tool, here's a couple good deals

Buy.com - Olympus X560 10 Megapixel Waterproof Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom, 2.4" LCD, Digital Image Stabilization, Advanced Face Detection, Red

Buy.com - Olympus T-100 12 Megapixel Compact Camera - 2.4" LCD - Blue

Buy.com - Nikon Coolpix L20 Point & Shoot Digital Camera - Deep Red

if you don't know what you want buy cheap use it for a while then give it to some deserving kid and buy what you need after you figure your needs

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Seems to me that you need to be paying attention to the ruggedized ones. Banged around scuffed up, overheated, through the woods. Canon is hard to beat as is Nikon. Make sure it takes an SD or CF card not that crap that Sony pushes. (Memory stick)

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    +1 for Nikon.

I have an older (2007) Nikon L12 that is 7.1 MP and it is built like a plastic tank. It takes very good pictures and runs of AA batteries. But the newer L series cameras seem cheaper and flimsy and all of them eat alkalines, use lithiums.

I also have a (2009) S220. It is 8 MP and has a brushed metal body, but it is not as easy to use as the L12 because the buttons are smaller and it runs off a tiny rechargeable battery.

My suggestion is buy a used L series Nikon off eBay, toss it in the glove box with some lithium batteries and forget about it.

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Just 3 things to say. CANON CANON CANON! If you are a member of Sam's or Costco they have pretty good prices on cameras. I have bought there and B&H Photo on line for all my Canon bodies and lenses.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Read the camera recommendations at:

KenRockwell.com

Hell, read the whole site. I learned more about making good images in my first three months there than I did from years of, well, essentially trial and error.

RedDot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    This Sony Cyber-Shot is fantastic. What makes it so great is the "Carl Zeiss" lens. but also the 14.1 mega pixels. By far the best "point and shoot" I have ever used. You can pick this up at Roberts downtown indy for $200. A few other manufactures use Carl Zeiss lenses. I'd suggest picking up a camera with one.

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

but these images were takin with my iphone

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Ok, I did a little research today and have narrowed it down a little. I don't want to spend more than $300 and I would like a camera with some size to it for those days when your fingers don't want to work. The two I've been looking at pretty hard are Nikon L110 (about $220 from website Colt 556 recommended) or Canon powershot sx130 from same website about $250.

Are either of these far superior than the other one? Is there another model in my price range that would do something better? I also like the bigger optical zooms of these two. I've been telling myself I'll take it to the treestand but that's not very likely at all to happen. Both also run on AA, which I also like (canon holds 2 while Nikon holds 4, which makes me think Nikon will last longer??)

Also, Nikon retails for $280 and ships for $220.

Top Bottom