• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Man I got into a job that is gonna be a tough one. I got a friend needing a sump pump pit in his crawl space so I took on the job. The ground to floor height is only about 30" and I need to dig a pit 18" diameter and 24" deep. I tried a mattock and short digging shovel today and just not enough clearance, did get a 5 gallon bucket out, but I need a faster way. Any ideas? Where can I buy a military style trenching shovel? You guys think that would work? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    dont underestimate a long drill bit to chew up the earth.

Ive broken up hard earth with a 1/2" x 12" old drill bit. stick it in the earth while spinning it. and then start wiggling it around. Breaks up the soil pretty darn fast.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'd lay a tarp down and attach a rope to two corners...when you dig up enough dirt, get outside the crawl space and pull rope/tarp/dirt out.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd lay a tarp down and attach a rope to two corners...when you dig up enough dirt, get outside the crawl space and pull rope/tarp/dirt out.

This is also what I would do, we aren't talking about a crazy amount of dirt you couldn't pull.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    My neighbors dug out their crawl space and used a kids snow sled, a plastic one with sides, tied to a rope to bring dirt out.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    They have those it is called a clay spade (well sort of). That is a tough job our hand mines have occurred in a 24" pipe but 36" is about as small as I like to work in. But go buy a sled it will hold better and allow dragging better than the tarp. Also the sump pump by its self may not be enough they may need a new perimeter drain installed and ran to the sump pump. I paid a company to do mine and then seal it and all in it was about 5k and that included treating for a little mold. It was money well spent vs trying to do it myself. I hope your getting paid good for it. That is no case of beer job.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Maybe break it up and use a wet/dry vac to suck up the bits. Get it deep enough and you'll have enough clearance for an auger or something.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    If you don't have a SDS plus hammer drill/demo hammer this would be a good time to buy one and get a clay spade or the widest chisel you can find for it.

Pawn shops are a good place to look for one as most home improvement stores just carry smaller hammer drills. If you can't afford to buy one most rental places will have what you need, and if you're having to dig with a maddox you will thank me if you rent/buy one.

Some one mentioned a sled for dirt removal and I'll second that recommendation as I have done a lot of crawl space work and a snow sled and some rope is king when it comes to dirt removal.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If you don't have a SDS plus hammer drill/demo hammer this would be a good time to buy one and get a clay spade or the widest chisel you can find for it.

Pawn shops are a good place to look for one as most home improvement stores just carry smaller hammer drills. If you can't afford to buy one most rental places will have what you need, and if you're having to dig with a maddox you will thank me if you rent/buy one.

Some one mentioned a sled for dirt removal and I'll second that recommendation as I have done a lot of crawl space work and a snow sled and some rope is king when it comes to dirt removal.

I agree 100 percent on the spade in the rotary hammer. I also would use a shop vac but would plumb something like this Woodstock W1049 Large Dust Collection Separator - Dust Collection System - Amazon.com in front of the shop vac. Sucking the dirt directly in the shop vac clogs up the filter very fast.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    If you know someone who welds have them make you a prospecting shovel. Here is the one I made for my son. I cut the head down from a standard full size shovel. You would need one with a slightly shorter handle for your case though. We call his shovel Mr. Fluffy.

View attachment 36332

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Go full-on Michigan basement. Once you've completely excavated a basement, you'll have plenty of space to swing a pickaxe to dig the sump pit.

I did this with a friend of mine years ago. We took a 3' crawl space and dug it out to where we could stand up in it, and both of us are 6'4". It took us several weekends and many many cases of beer, but we did it. We must have collected 100 5 gallon buckets to haul dirt out, which had to be hauled up a makeshift ladder we built. I think we set out counting how many buckets of dirt we removed, but after so many beers, we lost count.

Top Bottom