• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Places run by republicans are usually not managed well in terms of quality of life for its population (teenage pregnancies, lower graduation rates, higher obesity, take your pick).

The government has no business being involved in anything that would affect the "quality of life" issues you mention. Those issues are brought about through personal choices. The only way the government can "improve" them is by eliminating the freedom to choose. You're right, republicans are less apt to do this and we have plenty of stupid in this country so those who enjoy freedom frequently use it to make bad decisions but I'd prefer to have the option myself.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I don't blame Detroit's government for failing because they are democrats, I blame their government for failing because it was terribly mismanaged.
    Respectful disagreement here. The Democrats are in bed with the municipal labor unions. Together they have a core ideology that is anti-business, pro-government spending, pro-big-government. These things cannot even be argued.

Just because an (R) or a (D) is next to your name doesn't mean you automatically know or don't know how to manage responsibly because that would be a silly assumption.
    Agreed, you don't automatically know. But the ideology of the parties are different when it comes to fiscal matters. Generally speaking Democrats spend money and expand government at a much faster rate. That again, cannot be argued.

Seems the general trend, at least in my opinion, places run by democrats are usually not managed as well financially and they can end up like Detroit if nothing is done to remedy the problem. Places run by republicans are usually not managed well in terms of quality of life for its population (teenage pregnancies, lower graduation rates, higher obesity, take your pick). That's why there must be a balance, if it's too lopsided then everyone loses in some way.
    I'm a libertarian leaning republican and have to wonder, what buisiness is it of the government to get involved in 'quality of life' issues? Look at our Constitution. Basically it says the government is supposed to stay out of our way and out of our lives. But if you want to see what happens when we centralize power:

Uh, teenage pregnancy rates are higher in the urban (Democratic) areas than in the rural/suburban areas (generally GOP).

High school graduation rates are lower in the urban (Democratic) areas than in the rural/suburban areas (generally GOP)

Crime rates are generally higher in the urban (Democratic) areas than in the rural/suburban areas (generally GOP)

I took my pick, the cities generally run by Democrats are, in fact, stupid, fat, violent, and with more illegitimate kids.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I'm a libertarian leaning republican and have to wonder, what buisiness is it of the government to get involved in 'quality of life' issues? Look at our Constitution. Basically it says the government is supposed to stay out of our way and out of our lives. But if you want to see what happens when we centralize power:

Uh, teenage pregnancy rates are higher in the urban (Democratic) areas than in the rural/suburban areas (generally GOP).

High school graduation rates are lower in the urban (Democratic) areas than in the rural/suburban areas (generally GOP)

Crime rates are generally higher in the urban (Democratic) areas than in the rural/suburban areas (generally GOP)

I took my pick, the cities generally run by Democrats are, in fact, stupid, fat, violent, and with more illegitimate kids.

I was referring mostly to states and not cities. If you look at northeast states/New England, they have some of the highest graduation rates, lowest obesity rates, and lowest teenage pregnancies. What you say is a symptom of urbanization that goes way past party dominance. Look at the South and mountain states, they tend to be somewhat more fiscally sound than other states but face the problems I just mentioned. I think Mississippi is near 50th or is 50th in all those categories and it's a republican fortress, as an example.

While it is everyone's right in America to be a dumb fatso if they wanted, that doesn't mean the gov can't put forth initiatives and legislation to curb harmful lifestyles. It already does in many ways. If the gov simply stayed out of lifestyle issues with its population, it could easily fall into a spiral that ultimately hurts us really bad in the long run. For instance, if the gov ignored declining graduation rates, over time we would become less competitive in the global market. It would eventually end up with a slumped economy with no end in sight. I don't know about you, but I would like to see America continue to grow and prosper even if it means curbing harmful lifestyles of its citizens.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    To be honest, it seems like all these problems seem like they have little to do with political parties.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Same policies that put Detroit in the condition it is in are being implemented on a national level by our commander-in-thief obama.

Welcome to the flush.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Just need a good doctor to fix it right up
    Akroyd-Dr-D-2.jpg

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Anyone who works for state or local government and who thinks that they're going to get a pension when they retire, better watch what's happening in Detroit.

All those firemen, police officers, sanitation workers, etc. in Detroit who worked for years with an understanding that, in lieu of some of their pay now, they would get a pension at retirement age are likely to get nothing for their trouble, and nobody's gonna care.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    While it is everyone's right in America to be a dumb fatso if they wanted, that doesn't mean the gov can't put forth initiatives and legislation to curb harmful lifestyles. It already does in many ways. If the gov simply stayed out of lifestyle issues with its population, it could easily fall into a spiral that ultimately hurts us really bad in the long run. For instance, if the gov ignored declining graduation rates, over time we would become less competitive in the global market. It would eventually end up with a slumped economy with no end in sight. I don't know about you, but I would like to see America continue to grow and prosper even if it means curbing harmful lifestyles of its citizens.

Yay for the nanny state!!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Since lucky has apparently turned in, I will share that his sig line is the date the Federal Reserve Act was signed into law.

Anyone who works for state or local government and who thinks that they're going to get a pension when they retire, better watch what's happening in Detroit.

All those firemen, police officers, sanitation workers, etc. in Detroit who worked for years with an understanding that, in lieu of some of their pay now, they would get a pension at retirement age are likely to get nothing for their trouble, and nobody's gonna care.

well perhaps judge can give me a plot of land in the city and they can grow a garden to help themseleves? :dunno:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lawgeeks, a copy of the MI Judge's short order finding the filing unconstitutional: http://t.co/9oJuomZAd0

They're proper plaitiffs, they've got the right court.

More info on the appeal: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...Detroit-bankruptcy-withdrawn-Schuette-appeals

Candyland judge commands magical pension ponies for Detroit, says bankruptcy filing doesn't "honor the president". I had no idea something so paganishly worshipful would be said by a court. Disgusting.

How to get off a deserted island: Elect yourself judge and rule it illegal for people not to rescue you.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ace of Spades HQ

The exact line:

“It’s cheating, sir, and it’s cheating good people who work,” the judge told assistant Attorney General Brian Devlin. “It’s also not honoring the (United States) president, who took (Detroit’s auto companies) out of bankruptcy.”
    Aquilina said she would make sure President Obama got a copy of her order.
    “I know he’s watching this,

Top Bottom