• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Has anyone ever successfully removed a primer from a case that was put in backwards?

I'm just curious, I have a case I chalked up as being a wasted case sitting on my bench as a reminder. I plan to keep it that way but was curious if anyone else tried and was successful with out messing up the primer or the case.

Again, I have NO plans to do this. Just curious if anyone has ever tried and what the results were.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Here's a good like to a video showing how to do it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UatePIJgxM]YouTube - How To Safely Remove A Live Primer From A Brass Casing[/ame]

In short, it can be done, but it is recommened to go very slow.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    well, I was more curious about one that is in backwards. I think there is more potiential of it going off

Scootersswift

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Clayton
    I have done it. Primed a case backwards. Spray the primer with penetrating oil wear eye protection and push it out don't slam it with the decapper.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Whether you are removing a primer that is in backwards or one that is seated in the proper orientation just use a slow smooth pull on the press's handle and the primer will not detonate. It is fast hard strikes that will set the primer off.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Have done a few. Don't ever recall one ever being in backwards tho, but you'd be fine if you go slow and wear safety glasses like mentioned above. Usually, I save up a few till wife is away and out of ear shot just in case.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    well, I was more curious about one that is in backwards. I think there is more potiential of it going off

Oops...thought that the link that I posted had the backwards removal as well. My Youtube skills must not have been that good this morning. :D

There is a video out there doing a backwards live primer, and like others said just go slow.

ETA: Here's the video I was thinking of. Check out at about 2:20 or so.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryUZF9L10qA&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:

rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Probably have done 1/2 dozen over the years. Slow easy, and I still look the other way once I get the expander in the case. I have even reused them, that is sort of a 50-50 deal though.

inFALable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Hamilton Co.
    I've done it a few times without problem. Anytime you are dealing with primers you should have on your shooting glasses. If you were to touch off the primer its blast would travel down through the slot or bore of the ram so the chance of injury would be low.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Actually, IMHO, I think there is less chance of it going off because the anvil won't have anything to support it. You may deform the cup, but the anvil will fall right out and you won't have any problems. The anvil needs support so that the compound can "smash" between the cup and anvil.

DaleB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Bedford, IN
    I've had to do it a few times, and I've had the primers "separate" so using it might not be possible, but it's worth a try. I keep a cloth around the ram to catch the wayward cap. GO SLOW

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My word, folks are acting like a primer will explode and destroy the press maiming and injuring everyone in the room :D

One day I tried to set off a primer by decapping. I tried with them put in both directions. I couldn't do it. That's not to say it can't be done, but I sure couldn't do it.

Also, to those folks advocating spraying wd-40 or penetrating oil, those will not deactivate primers.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Push it out with your depriming or resizing die. Nothing will happen. Save it to prime the case properly. Not a big deal.

I have never been able to deactivate a primer. I think the pellet has a coating that keeps water/WD40/oil/whatever out of it.

Last edited:

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    one primer and brass isn't worth ur a**, its hammertime, just destroy it. eye safety, 8lb sledge. Hit it and forget it.
    Good point !
    I just did a search and found this post after I have messed up a round. The bullet fell just as it was going into the seat. Kinked the brass.. So I removed the bullet and powder. Since I sell my scrap brass. I wanted to remove the primer first. The brass is trashed anyway.
    Thanks for the info guys. :)

Racerdj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2010
    Indy
    I have done it but at a very very slow punch rate. If the case has been reloaded quite a few times, it's time for the trash can.

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    one primer and brass isn't worth ur a**, its hammertime, just destroy it. eye safety, 8lb sledge. Hit it and forget it.

I know you posted this eight months ago, but this seems far more dangerous than just running the brass through the sizing/depriming die again!

Top Bottom