• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I was delayed recently, dealer told me it could be something as insignificant as a speeding ticket on your record. Didn't have to wait long though. I think they make it as much as a pain in the a** as they can to discourage people from buying. It's all a big conspiracy!!

superstorm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    SW Fort Wayne
    I got my first delayed after 9/11 and ever since then I get delayed no reason the reason they gave me was somebody has the same name and it throws a red flag thank god I have never been refused.I wish it was like the old days where you showed your permit and walk away.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Since I started buying guns in 2009, I have been delayed everytime for 5 or 6 times. One dealer told me once delayed, always delayed. It is kind of a shock the first time, but you can most likely expect it from now on. Probably someone has a SS number or DOB like yours that is a bad guy. You can get a form & apply for a voluntary appeal file (VAF ).

Not entirely true... My first gun purchase I was delayed, been fine ever since with no delay on several purchases....Knock on wood!

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I even told the guys they will be holding on to it for 3 or so days when a few minuts later the guy behinkd the counter said, "here is your lower and you are gtg".

Ahh, but did YOU hear the friendly and helpful ATF agent tell the store owner you were good, or did you merely take the store owner's word about it???

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Also, common names seem to get delayed alot. Also, your name may be the same as a criminal.

8shot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Knock on wood I haven't been turned down yet,I haven't put my SS number on any of them,I do not think that you should have to.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    I use to get delayed for some reason, I never did find out why. You can go on the nics website and apply for a pin number there is a spot for it on the form when you buy a gun, the dealer just has to tell them when he calls it in. No more delays

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    Got my first delay today. Might have to do with a situation I was in last year that got dismissed. I was told to call back at 4pm everyday (except Sunday) and if they don't here anything I'll pick my gun up Thursday next week.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    The waiting period is 5 days for delays. The NICS person will let the FFL know what date that they can release the weapon. If NICS calls back prior to that date your FFL shop should call you and let you know the status. If the 5 days have past and NICS has not contacted the FFL, they can release the firearm to you.
    If you have want to help yourself from being delayed, you can obtain a UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number) from the FBI. Here is a link for information through the FBI - Federal Bureau of Investigation - Freedom of Information - Privacy Impact Assessment .

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    The waiting period is 5 days for delays. The NICS person will let the FFL know what date that they can release the weapon. If NICS calls back prior to that date your FFL shop should call you and let you know the status. If the 5 days have past and NICS has not contacted the FFL, they can release the firearm to you.
    If you have want to help yourself from being delayed, you can obtain a UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number) from the FBI. Here is a link for information through the FBI - Federal Bureau of Investigation - Freedom of Information - Privacy Impact Assessment .

Thanks for the link. However, the wait is 3 business days according to the shop I am purchasing the gun from.

rwbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    i was delayed at dick's (fitting name) when i tried to buy a henry lever action .22 legally they could have released the gun on the fourth day but their policy is to hold the gun until they get a call back 2 weeks later still no call. so i told them to keep it.they didn't care

GlenD65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Hamilton County, IN
    Always, I thought it was mandantory .....

I bought a revolver at Gander Mountain about a week ago. The guy at the gun counter told me it was optional to put my SSN on the form so I left it off. The whole process took under 20 minutes, including calling in my info for the background check.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I always use my SSN because I have a common name. I learned my lesson when IPD turned me down 15 years ago because they ran a check in NC without using a SSN. It came back with two people who fit my description, but they didn't check it out, they just rejected me. I was told the same thing could happen if I didn't put my SSN on the 4473. Now, I'm scared to leave it off for fear of being denied.

Top Bottom