• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I've been thinking about trying some defensive pistol competitions, but I found out the gun I'd be using is ineligable. I have a modified Glock 19. I've been carrying it everyday for over a decade, gotten pretty good with it, and i'd like to use it in the competition for obvious reasons. The aftermarket compensator, Wolf spring, and titanium guiderod made it ineligable for the sport. It also has an oversized mag release and extended slide release, which I believe ARE allowed in the modifed division. So... I was thinking about just getting another model 19 and swapping slides. I used to do this years ago when I was breaking in the customized version. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Siderite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Which competition are you thinking about entering? For IDPA, getting a stock Glock would be the way to go - too many things would need swapping. If you are considering USPSA, you could shoot what you have in the open division, but would probably not be time-competive with the race guns.

I would recommend shooting what you carry and not worrying much about the results. Competition gives you a chance to test your gear and skills under a bit of pressure. See the article by Coach for a more thorough answer: Coach’s Commentary Adaptive Consulting & Training

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The Glock described above would be fine in Limited or Limited 10 in USPSA competition.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've shoot IDPA at Atlanta maybe a half dozen times over that last two years. My sense is that if you had a stock slide on your gun, the other modifications would not raise any red flags at a regular match.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I run a stock 19 for EDC as well but the grip is stippled so that knocks me out of SSP in IDPA. The slide stop and extended mag release are available from the factory as an option so they are legal for SSP. The club I shoot at has never made a fuss about the gear (19) I have shot so my point is if you want to make a serious run at something competitively then you would obviously need to change your gear. But if you want to just run your gear against something then find a club that is cool with you participating and contributing.

Good luck it's a great way to get some pressured trigger time but most of all it is fun!

Denny L

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    IDPA and USPSA have different rules and in my opinion IDPA is stricter and at time does not make sense. If you carry a Glock with modification you should be able to shoot it in any match

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    IDPA and USPSA have different rules and in my opinion IDPA is stricter and at time does not make sense. If you carry a Glock with modification you should be able to shoot it in any match

Preachin' to the choir! :) I totally agree. Apparently they don't want to start an arms race between competitors ("He's got a comp, I'm gonna need one to beat him!") but you can buy a factory Glock with a comp! How is that not a stock weapon?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Preachin' to the choir! :) I totally agree. Apparently they don't want to start an arms race between competitors ("He's got a comp, I'm gonna need one to beat him!") but you can buy a factory Glock with a comp! How is that not a stock weapon?

Then shoot USPSA instead. Three of its division let you shoot this gun.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Compensated guns are only allowed to be used to shoot open division in USPSA, right?
    You could just get a non-comped barrel and shoot production.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom