• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    I have over the years made many, many head shots. I have always felt that it was a more humane kill when it was right enough to make the shot. A few years ago I head shot a doe maybe 40 yards away, hit 1 1/2" low and broke her jaw, reloaded (muzzleloader) and popped her in the head figuring I just missed, hit her jaw again, reloaded and in the lungs it went. I'm not going to say I'll never do it again but I've decided that while hunting there are to many things that can slightly effect shot placement, so in the lungs they go.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    No head or neck shots on deer for me............................ Not to mention the future possibility of CWD in our area -- who needs to get infected brain or spinal tissue leaking onto the meat?

This is a really good point. Didn't the OP say this pertained to shooting Muleys?
    I'd just as soon stay out of the brain and spinal fluid biziness on deer if possible.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know it works. In fact one of the first poaching cases I did was a guy that shot over 80 (if not more) from his farm equipment with a .22-250. All head shots, guy must have been amazing with a gun.

My friends in Texas remark that every year that find a lot of dead deer missing lower jaws from all the "head shots" that they attempt down there. Never saw so many dead, starved deer until they moved down there.

dross, I think the answer to your question depends on the shooter. If you can shoot up to your rifle (a small percentage of gun owners) and know where you will hit, I see nothing wrong with it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Most people can't hit one in the chest, they need guns with half a dozen bullets or more for "quick follow up shots". They hit a deer every where from the nose to the tail emptying the gun and when it get's to the internet they made a 150 yard head shot on a running deer. They never mention they started shooting when it was 50 yards away and shot till the gun was empty.

When they found it every ham was toast and it had a hole through it's ears and they don't have a clue where the rest of their shots are.

Watch all the "pie plate nailed to a fence post is good enough" threads pop up and then imagine those guys shooting at a deer's head bobbing up and down constantly.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I go with the high percentage shot....lungs.
    Saw a doe a couple years running around with an arrow stuck out of her head. Not a pretty sight. Granted a bullet or a BH to the brain will drop them in their tracks, just not a shot I'm going to take.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    The place where I have hunted for the last few years borders a ravine that rivals the grand canyon! (slight exaggeration). Shots are 50 yards max, but if you don't drop it right there, it's gonna go over the hill. All of my kills there have been neck or head shots.

One warning regarding neck shot: If there is any movement then shoot it again. Such shots can temporarily stun if the spine isn't impacted. As someone suggested earlier; never take a shot beyond your personal skill level.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'm a pretty decent shot, which is why I was considering trying it, especially for under 150 yards or so. After considering what everyone has written, I think I'd only do it for shots well under 100. The thought of shooting off a deer's jaw and having it get away is too disturbing.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I go with the high percentage shot....lungs.
    Saw a doe a couple years running around with an arrow stuck out of her head. Not a pretty sight. Granted a bullet or a BH to the brain will drop them in their tracks, just not a shot I'm going to take.

This +1
    It is all about percentage shots. Much better chance of double lunging a deer even if he tries to jump the string when bow hunting.
    The question from the OP was about ethics, the ethical thing to do is kill the deer with the most likely shot to do so.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Absolutely. If you have the shot and an accurate gun. I hunted GA with a 7mm Mag model 70 and a .243 Savage 99. Used head and neck shots with both guns. Very seldom fired a heart/lung shot.

The foliage in SW Ga is like a jungle and you do not want your deer running even 50 yards, they will be hard to find. EVERY head or neck shot I fired dropped deer in their tracks. I had friend who made good heart/lung shots and they needed my dog to find the deer or never did find it.

To me, with the right gun and the knowing when you can definitely make the shot, a head or neck shot is the MOST humane.

riverpine_hc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Where would one aim at the head? Between the eyes? In the ears?

Is there a limit to distance due to jumping the wire?

Assuming one with a .223 varmit could hit a dime at 500 yards. (easy, be nice ...)

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Here's a new twist. Shots up the bung hole on rear-facing deer? I've never tried it, don't know if I ever would unless I was starving. I've actually spoken with guys who claim it's the most effective killer and meat saving shot. They claim it destroys everything from the rectum to the lungs and sometimes breaks the spine.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Here's a new twist. Shots up the bung hole on rear-facing deer? I've never tried it, don't know if I ever would unless I was starving. I've actually spoken with guys who claim it's the most effective killer and meat saving shot. They claim it destroys everything from the rectum to the lungs and sometimes breaks the spine.

I'm guessing you don't need the ButtOut tool on those.

Rectum? No, I killed 'em.

Never heard of that one. Seems like doing the field dressing would be a bit nastier.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Where would one aim at the head? Between the eyes? In the ears?

Is there a limit to distance due to jumping the wire?

Assuming one with a .223 varmit could hit a dime at 500 yards. (easy, be nice ...)

Assuming0 bingo interneto

Jumping what wire? I don't think there are any legal firearms for hunting in Indiana that do not exceed the speed of sound. Nothing in 223 is relevant to deer hunting in Indiana regardless of what it could or couldn't do.

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    I have taken one doe with a head shot. Less than 20 yds. As stated above. It all depends on your abilities. I myself perform only head shots on squirrels. I see no difference here. If you have the ability, go for it.

Top Bottom