• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    As a general rule - I tend to go against the death penalty in a lot of cases due to the abuse and the possibility of getting it wrong.

That said - the case in Linton has me thinking. It _appears_ pretty clear cut that these guys did this. They _appear_ to have taken a random young lady's life and raped her. One of them at least has described his role in graphic and horrifying detail. Enough that it will leave you speechless. See the thread in the break room if you need a reference. But it's not for those who are faint of heart or stomach.

Making the bold assumption that this indeed was how things went down, I am having a hard time saying that these guys don't deserve to die.

So, INGO politicians , both amateur and professional - step up to the mike... what's your take? Again - the premise is that they admit with no qualms that they raped/attempted rape and murdered this young lady in cold blood. And there does not appear to be much dispute about that. GIVEN that - what should the sentence be?

Jack1861

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    It is unfortunate that the victim was not able to administer the death penalty herself. It would have been a much better outcome. This is a sad and sickening situation all the way around.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    They planned to do this although the victim was unknown at the time. That is murder one in my book and special circumstances should attach. Death penalty is too nice for them. That said, a plea for life without parole will probably be the result. If that is the case, I vote for Supermax.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Greene County is unlikely to expend the resources on a death case. The Prosecuting Attorney has a gig as long as he wants it and nothing to prove with a death case.

LWOP, as stated above, is the likely outcome (although IME it is hard for 12 people to agree to LWOP, usually just turn it over to the judge for term of years).

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    They planned to do this although the victim was unknown at the time. That is murder one in my book and special circumstances should attach. Death penalty is too nice for them. That said, a plea for life without parole will probably be the result. If that is the case, I vote for Supermax.

Only if "SuperMax" is a former NFL linebacker who's in for life and happens to be manic depressive with a nasty sadistic streak... and that's who they get for a roommate...

Seriously - this has me reconsidering my position. I have been VERY slow to invoke capital punishment - due to the potential for mistakes, etc. This is a brutal reminder that there are some criminals who are indeed worthy of the death penalty.

Hardcore libertarians - Rambone, mrjarrell et al... I'm curious to hear your take... I can understand someone being against the DP in every case. This one has to really make you dig deep.

EDIT: Kirk - I understand the resource problem - but do you think the rural county voters won't DEMAND it? Prosecutors are elected in our County - and if this happened in Salem all hell would break loose if a prosecutor went all LWOP on the case....

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Allow me to reiterate........

fargo.woodchipper.bloody.sock_.gif

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I am in general for the death penalty. But only for very clear cut cases. It also scares the hell out me how many times the "Justice System" gets it wrong.

In this particular case, when a person owns up to it and says they did it. And with no apparent remorse. Well then its time for that person to go away. They will have plenty of time to meet the Lord before the execution if they chose to repent. I say send these monsters on their way.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I think they should allow her family to kill them. If it was my daughter I would want to...I would even beg the courts to allow it. Why waste tax payer dollars on scum. If not, I would find out what prison they go to and make some inmates very rich by putting money on their books in exchange for their torture.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think they should allow her family to kill them. If it was my daughter I would want to...I would even beg the courts to allow it. Why waste tax payer dollars on scum. If not, I would find out what prison they go to and make some inmates very rich by putting money on their books in exchange for their torture.

If they go to the right institution, the inmates being aware would be sufficient to start them on their way to, well, a new career in the service industry.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    They planned on doing this,which is premeditated murder and grounds for the death penalty.That being said,I've been a Greene County resident my whole life and I can see life without parole being the harshest thing that our prosecution team opts to go for.It's very sad too,this girl didn't deserve this.

Looking at this objectively,she was riding around with drug dealers and high on pills.I'm not saying she asked for this,but it could have been easily prevented.A case of a girl making bad decisions and paying the ultimate price is what we're dealing with.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I've been pretty vocal on these boards about only using self-defense when 100% necessary, the reason is - we each have 1 life and when it's gone, it's gone. The idea that the state would take a person who is no threat (sitting in a cell) and ceremoniously (last meal,people watching through glass) put him to death just doesn't sit right with me.

I can't support the death penalty no matter how horrific the crime. Sorry, just can't do it...

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Greene County is unlikely to expend the resources on a death case. The Prosecuting Attorney has a gig as long as he wants it and nothing to prove with a death case.

LWOP, as stated above, is the likely outcome (although IME it is hard for 12 people to agree to LWOP, usually just turn it over to the judge for term of years).

^THIS^ Green county most likely will not fork over the money it takes to try a capital case. I could be wrong (hopefully and wouldn't be mad about being wrong on this) but do not see them doing it.

If they go to the right institution, the inmates being aware would be sufficient to start them on their way to, well, a new career in the service industry.

I could be wrong (which again I wouldn't be mad at being wrong on this) They most likely will not see general population unless the go to a facility that has a population of sex offenders. But that will depend on what the evidence is and if the Prosecutor goes for all the charges. Which I'm sure he will.

Sad sad deal all the way around.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Allow me to reiterate........

fargo.woodchipper.bloody.sock_.gif

THIS ^ !!!! and their parents also . You raise one of these beasts and you go right along with them .

Cases like this are exactly why I could never be a cop . I don't understand why they ever made it to jail in the first place .

Another thing I don't understand is why taxpayers are gonna be forced to pay for the effers to live out their lives .

He / they confessed , that should be the end of it right there .

Top Bottom