• DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You are the only one.
    Nah... Not the only one. What can I say? I'm a morning person. :) I mean, it's 10:40 a.m., I've got a good part of my yardwork done, and I'm contemplating lunch already. But that's happens when you get up at 4 a.m. and eat breakfast at 6 a.m.. I won't get to sleep in like that tomorrow though. Back to work.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I am so glad that it isn't dark at 5pm anymore.
    There are no dates for which Indiana (Indianapolis) is dark at 5PM. The earliest sunset time is 5:20PM. From the end of January (1/28/21) through mid-October (10/18/21), sunset is 6PM (standard time) or later.

Remind me again how shifting the clocks during the summer has any impact on 5PM sunlight availability? If 5PM sunlight were the concern, wouldn't it make more sense to leave the clocks alone during the summer, and shift them during the winter?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Sunset at almost 8 pm tonight! Getting a lot done today, exercise in and still have a lot of daylight left. Campfire food and fire in the fire pit. Mmmm

Great day and my sleep pattern is already adjusted...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    There are no dates for which Indiana (Indianapolis) is dark at 5PM. The earliest sunset time is 5:20PM. From the end of January (1/28/21) through mid-October (10/18/21), sunset is 6PM (standard time) or later.

Remind me again how shifting the clocks during the summer has any impact on 5PM sunlight availability? If 5PM sunlight were the concern, wouldn't it make more sense to leave the clocks alone during the summer, and shift them during the winter?
    Yeah but just like New York City isn't New York.....

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sunset at almost 8 pm tonight! Getting a lot done today, exercise in and still have a lot of daylight left. Campfire food and fire in the fire pit. Mmmm

Great day and my sleep pattern is already adjusted...
    I have to admit, it’s nice to be able to get in a long bike ride after work now. And since the weather is getting better too, it’s also nice to have a an hour of daylight shifted to after work so that I can start working on some outdoor projects. If the sun were still setting around 6:30, I wouldn’t bother.

It might make for a more honest conversation if people could admit that it is convenient for moat people to have more daylight available after work.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

20 minutes. You’re quibbling over 20 ****ing minutes? Why not just admit that it’s convenient given most people’s schedules to have the sun set an hour later so they can have the daylight shifted after work? Admitting that one point doesn’t cost you your preference. It doesn’t cost me mine.

And you know the reason why people don’t care so much that it gets dark so early in the winter. There aren’t many outdoor activities they can do after work in the cold. Though I’m sure that’s not as true for people in warmer climates. They’d probably rather have more hours after work year round.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    20 minutes. You’re quibbling over 20 ****ing minutes? Why not just admit that it’s convenient given most people’s schedules to have the sun set an hour later so they can have the daylight shifted after work? Admitting that one point doesn’t cost you your preference. It doesn’t cost me mine.

And you know the reason why people don’t care so much that it gets dark so early in the winter. There aren’t many outdoor activities they can do after work in the cold. Though I’m sure that’s not as true for people in warmer climates. They’d probably rather have more hours after work year round.
    My point is that the "dark at 5pm" a) doesn't actually happen, technically speaking, b) even as a general time range, is an issue for, at most, 2 1/2 months out of the year, and c) most importantly, is not mitigated by shifting clocks during the summer.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yeah but just like New York City isn't New York.....
    Yeah, that's why I specified about sunrise/sunset times. If the argument applies better or worse to other parts of Indiana, feel free to make/refute it for those locations.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My point is that the "dark at 5pm" a) doesn't actually happen, technically speaking, b) even as a general time range, is an issue for, at most, 2 1/2 months out of the year, and c) most importantly, is not mitigated by shifting clocks during the summer.
    Okay, that's a better argument. But the point you objected to wasn't the specific time. The "5PM" was a soundbite to make the broader point about an early sunset during winter. Technical speak doesn't invalidate that point. I think the better argument to rebut that would be that it would be that if one doesn't like the early sunset in winter, advocating for shifting the time year round with no time changes would better solve that than enduring it for a few months, and then changing clocks to get your evening's back in early spring.

But I still think that UTC would eventually be more convenient for everyone, but getting to that point would be as hard as converting the US to the metric system. It's just not gonna happen. Once you have a complicated system to deal with a complicated problem, it's complicated to change it, even if that means simplifying it. Y2K employed a **** ton of people and that was only to remove 2-character dates from various systems. Decoupling time zones from time tracking systems would be monumental.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Okay, that's a better argument. But the point you objected to wasn't the specific time. The "5PM" was a soundbite to make the broader point about an early sunset during winter. Technical speak doesn't invalidate that point. I think the better argument to rebut that would be that it would be that if one doesn't like the early sunset in winter, advocating for shifting the time year round with no time changes would better solve that than enduring it for a few months, and then changing clocks to get your evening's back in early spring.

But I still think that UTC would eventually be more convenient for everyone, but getting to that point would be as hard as converting the US to the metric system. It's just not gonna happen. Once you have a complicated system to deal with a complicated problem, it's complicated to change it, even if that means simplifying it. Y2K employed a **** ton of people and that was only to remove 2-character dates from various systems. Decoupling time zones from time tracking systems would be monumental.
    How is it a better argument? It's the same argument I made - perhaps just more clearly articulated?

As someone who has lived somewhere (St. Louis) where winter sunset was as early as about 4:30PM, to me, 5PM was not a mere "soundbite". Our earliest sunsets in Indianapolis are around an hour later than our earliest sunsets in St. Louis.

But the point of my argument was the end: changing the clocks during the summer does not, in any way, cause sunset to take place later in the day during winter. Thus, even a 5PM winter sunset is not a valid argument for summertime DST.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How is it a better argument? It's the same argument I made - perhaps just more clearly articulated?

As someone who has lived somewhere (St. Louis) where winter sunset was as early as about 4:30PM, to me, 5PM was not a mere "soundbite". Our earliest sunsets in Indianapolis are around an hour later than our earliest sunsets in St. Louis.

But the point of my argument was the end: changing the clocks during the summer does not, in any way, cause sunset to take place later in the day during winter. Thus, even a 5PM winter sunset is not a valid argument for summertime DST.
    We could just go back to year-round CENTRAL DST like we used to.
    . Y2K employed a **** ton of people and that was only to remove 2-character dates from various systems. Decoupling time zones from time tracking systems would be monumental.
    Nothing exceptional. I have seen two characters on a date lots of times! :):

Top Bottom