• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So, I have been working with our development team in India. They are on IST year-around. DST is nonsense to them.

As CB mentioned up-thread: at least we don't shift our rulers to the left in March, and make all of our distance measurements longer. You know, to save length.
    Clock-changing only even remotely makes sense in a very narrow latitudinal range. It is pointless for the latitudes that have the vast majority of the world's population. With Europe dropping DST, the US is essentially the odd man out on the clock-changing nonsense.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Wow! Wait until someone explains to you that they now have third shift and even some rich fat cat elite bankers are up working the foreign markets. LOL

Joking aside exactly when is that "perfect time" when folks get their soundest sleep?
    Do you honestly not know that this is tied to Circadian rhythm and the sunlight cycle?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And it couldn't be possible that a majority of Americans like DST, use DST to better their lives?
    If Indiana put the question to a referendum, would you accept the verdict even if it was not what you wish

I'd like to see all the states do so, you'd end up with a patchwork quilt for a while, but I would wager it would pretty quickly shake out into a more efficient de facto rendering of time zones

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Like? Doubtful. All the polls I see show it is wildly unpopular to continue changing. Most claim it is not worth the cost.
    Point goes to ATM
    Seven in 10 Americans prefer not to switch back and forth to mark daylight saving time, a new poll shows. But there's no agreement on which time clocks ought to follow.

According to the new poll by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research, 4 in 10 Americans would like to see their clocks stay on standard time year-round, while about 3 in 10 prefer to stay on daylight saving time. About another 3 in 10 prefer what is the status quo in most of the United States, switching back and forth between daylight saving time in the summer and standard time in the winter.
    Use the changes to better their lives? Nonsense. You'd definitely need to show your work to claim something like that.

You probably only found people like yourself who prefer more daylight after your work schedules. Doubt you specified as I would that the actual question is if changing schedules back and forth biannually makes sense or provides any benefit to overcome the costs.

And you're unwilling or unable to compare the actual costs vs. benefits (if there are any) of continuing that antiquated practice.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I have not researched sleep, other than years of nightly practice, but my spidey senses tell me this is hogwash. There is considerable variance and adaptability in humans and I do not believe this has the deleterious affects you imply.
    You should probably research it. There may be considerable variance to practice - particularly in technology-driven, western culture. But that variance in practice leads to all manner of adverse health effects.

Study anthropology. Find me a non-western/native/primal culture/society that based/bases their sleep cycle around anything other than the solar cycle. (There are some, isolated exceptions, such as cultures in extreme northern latitudes - land of the midnight sun - and some equatorial cultures that shifted due to extreme daytime heat.)

We disregard it in western society, but Circadian rhythm matters to health.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So a poll conducted in conjunction with the PIA of changing clocks is accurate?

The people I asked were all successful in life so, yes, they were like me. LOL

How can one out a price on an hour of daylight after work to play with your kids or grandkids? To play a round of golf, shoot, garden. Or maybe use that light look for a new car or home? Get your chores done through the week so you can travel on the weekends. Real people use that daylight after work, I bet you do too, though you cannot admit that here...
    Again, with the advent of electric lights almost two centuries ago, ALL of those things can be done after sunset.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Funny, your social group must be very different from mine, since you go to work so early you likely have a social group in sync with that timing. But that super early morning is not the norm for most of the people, mist people go to work around 8:00 AM. They can work, get some groceries, get some dinner, do a few chores, then watch the sunset.

Never, in my entire life, have I had a job that I "went to" around 8:00AM. This is a rather... elitist argument/perspective. Seriously. Rush hour starts about 1 - 2 hours before 8:00AM, because that's when the vast majority of people (shift workers excluded) are commuting to work.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So a poll conducted in conjunction with the PIA of changing clocks is accurate?

The people I asked were all successful in life so, yes, they were like me. LOL

How can one out a price on an hour of daylight after work to play with your kids or grandkids? To play a round of golf, shoot, garden. Or maybe use that light look for a new car or home? Get your chores done through the week so you can travel on the weekends. Real people use that daylight after work, I bet you do too, though you cannot admit that here...
    Most people who are 'successful in life', can just (with a bit of advance planning) take whatever time they need off from work in order to golf or shop for a home or automobile or work on their victory garden

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There were, literally, NO Uber drivers available at 6:30AM yesterday morning. I ended up having to drive myself to the airport, and came close to risking missing my flight. I assume the lack of drivers (at a time at which I can always find drivers, given my intentional proximity to the airport) is directly attributable to the stupid clock-changing overnight.
    First World Problems? You know, you can actually own a car now. :stickpoke: They'll let you park it at the airport and everything! (Just kidding - Uber is just not for me. DoggyMama uses it and Lyft from time to time though.) I'm just too much of a control freak to rely on someone else for my transportation.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    First World Problems? You know, you can actually own a car now. :stickpoke: They'll let you park it at the airport and everything! (Just kidding - Uber is just not for me. DoggyMama uses it and Lyft from time to time though.) I'm just too much of a control freak to rely on someone else for my transportation.
    We have one car for the family. (I know; unheard-of in today's world...) So, sure; I could leave the car at the airport while I'm gone for 2 weeks. But the rest of my family would kind of be screwed.

Besides, I was told that DST was utterly utopian for first-world matters.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We have one car for the family. (I know; unheard-of in today's world...) So, sure; I could leave the car at the airport while I'm gone for 2 weeks. But the rest of my family would kind of be screwed.

Besides, I was told that DST was utterly utopian for first-world matters.
    I'm taking DoggyMama to the airport in the morning, but if she comes home when she's scheduled (she'll probably be coming home early since she's visiting her daughter in Cali and that may or may not go so well), she'll probably take Lyft or Uber home since her flight isn't scheduled in until like 10:30 p.m..

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm taking DoggyMama to the airport in the morning, but if she comes home when she's scheduled (she'll probably be coming home early since she's visiting her daughter in Cali and that may or may not go so well), she'll probably take Lyft or Uber home since her flight isn't scheduled in until like 10:30 p.m..
    Yeah, my girls are likely old enough that they could stay home, sleeping, should my wife need to drive me to the airport. But she doesn't see well enough to be comfortable driving in the dark (again, thanks for nothing, DST). The same would apply to many of my arrival times when coming home.

My getting myself to the airport through means other than our family vehicle has always been part of my travel routine.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    On a side note: Brazil used to have some of the best pizza, anywhere. RIP, Sweet Lou's Pizzeria. You made college that much better.
    It's still available in name only. Not the pizza Lou Nasser made. I wish I hadn't lost my copy of the recipe.

On the whole I like the pizza I make now better but that whole wheat crust isn't easy to duplicate.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Never, in my entire life, have I had a job that I "went to" around 8:00AM. This is a rather... elitist argument/perspective. Seriously. Rush hour starts about 1 - 2 hours before 8:00AM, because that's when the vast majority of people (shift workers excluded) are commuting to work.
    Did you read the article? About that 8 am for the majority came straight from the chart. Not my opinion. So it is elitist now to cite sources? The majority do go to work about 8:00 am and probably like the hour after work.

"Somewhat unexpectedly, it turns out most American workers don’t show up to work at 9 am, but between 7:45 and 8:00, every morning. In total, 10,645,012 people across all the business sectors surveyed clock-in at this time. While most women across America get to work in that time slot, men occupy a different range. The data shows that most men gradually trickle into the workplace between 7:30 am and 8:14 am."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Did you read the article? About that 8 am for the majority came straight from the chart. Not my opinion. So it is elitist now to cite sources? The majority do go to work about 8:00 am and probably like the hour after work.

"Somewhat unexpectedly, it turns out most American workers don’t show up to work at 9 am, but between 7:45 and 8:00, every morning. In total, 10,645,012 people across all the business sectors surveyed clock-in at this time. While most women across America get to work in that time slot, men occupy a different range. The data shows that most men gradually trickle into the workplace between 7:30 am and 8:14 am."
    Dang... talk about banker's hours. That's almost lunch time! :):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm changing my mind. IngoMike has convinced me.
    In fact.
    I think it's such a GREAT job, we should change our jobs 12 TIMES A YEAR.
    The first of EVERY month, we change our clocks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK.
    Can we have 1 thread where we have a conversation. Please. This happy horse :poop: is wearing the staff out. We are all about to throw in the towel and let you numbskulls just have at it.

Lets have an experiment.

Top Bottom