• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Even a blind Chinese Kung Fu master in a santa hat can see that you tried to list a cost as your benefit when pressed to defend your claim.

Do they really let you get away with that sort of thing where you claim to have argued this topic elsewhere? I simply cannot allow it.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

I've done worse. :D
    Ok, I told you why I believe we flip back, why do you believe we flip back?

In the end, as jamil points out, it is all a human construct put in place by politics. My answer for why we flip back, politics of compromise to get the, wait for it Kelly, fast time most of the year. After years of getting folks used to fast time half the year they increased it substantially. Another increase or two and we will be on permanent fast time. Sorry Dave, but they are heading to put us a full two hours off the sun...

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Human life has been attached since creation to operating during the daytime and sleeping during the night with emphasis on that perfect time when most people get their soundest sleep. [Miscreant] Daniels took that period of time away from people who do not have the luxury of working bankers' hours. This is a perfect example of the elitist attitude that if it's good for the chamber of commerce its good for everyone.

The only thing equally stupid that comes to mind is changing the format of our license plates for equally spurious reasons.
    You're obsessed with this "perfect time when most people get their soundest sleep" thing.

But, what may be the time at which YOU get your soundest sleep does not apply to everyone.
    Each and every persons best sleep time is varied because of when they go to bed and because of varying reasons along with their body.

What may be best for you as someone who might go to bed at 9pm, will be different for people who go to sleep at 10pm, 11pm, 12am and so on. Also for people who
    function better with less than the normal hours of sleep. Growing up and until I had my health issue, if I slept more than 6 hours, I felt lethargic. So there is no "perfect" time". Every person is wired and functions different, If we wasn't, we would be just like bots, running on a schedule made by the programmer who punched in the specs.

It is different for all, and you can not lump the masses together into a single class and say this is best for all.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You're obsessed with this "perfect time when most people get their soundest sleep" thing.

But, what may be the time at which YOU get your soundest sleep does not apply to everyone.

Each and every persons best sleep time is varied because of when they go to bed and because of varying reasons along with their body.

What may be best for you as someone who might go to bed at 9pm, will be different for people who go to sleep at 10pm, 11pm, 12am and so on. Also for people who
    function better with less than the normal hours of sleep. Growing up and until I had my health issue, if I slept more than 6 hours, I felt lethargic. So there is no "perfect" time". Every person is wired and functions different, If we wasn't, we would be just like bots, running on a schedule made by the programmer who punched in the specs.

It is different for all, and you can not lump the masses together into a single class and say this is best for all.
    It's prevalent enough for military doctrine to have been written around it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Wow! Wait until someone explains to you that they now have third shift and even some rich fat cat elite bankers are up working the foreign markets. LOL

Joking aside exactly when is that "perfect time" when folks get their soundest sleep?
    Again 2:30 to 3:30 am local solar time. Once again, the time window in which we bomb people due to their being in the time natural for their deepest sleep hence least responsiveness to an attack.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Again 2:30 to 3:30 am local solar time. Once again, the time window in which we bomb people due to their being in the time natural for their deepest sleep hence least responsiveness to an attack.
    I have not researched sleep, other than years of nightly practice, but my spidey senses tell me this is hogwash. There is considerable variance and adaptability in humans and I do not believe this has the deleterious affects you imply.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Ok, I told you why I believe we flip back...
    Yes, but I'm still wondering who asked? My questions were narrowing in on a specific point you were attempting to claim, then you offered this belief of yours as a substitute.

No thanks, I'm not terribly interested in why you believe we flip back, I wanted to compare actual costs to benefits. Even in your offered hypothetical, you tried to list your costs (what your side gave up to the other side as a compromise at the bargaining table to get what you wanted) as benefits. Nonsense.

why do you believe we flip back? ...
    Because politicians generally hate to repeal laws or cede control, they only want to increase both. But seriously, why would my belief even matter?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    It's prevalent enough for military doctrine to have been written around it.
    So what is relevant for roughly 2.5 million active and reserve in the military is best for the general populous.
    Great argument fail, brought to you by the same people who pay thousands of dollars for individual hammers and toilet seats.

Also, just another statistical manipulation to fit a agenda. Because what is good for the guy beside you, is good for you also?

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Upon further reflection (and a quick trip back to the spring of 2015 in this very thread), I will offer this again since it was asked for. What a hoot, reading those old conversations! :laugh6: I am definitely kinder and gentler these days than I once was!

...we continue to change the clocks twice per year in an effort to pretend we aren't changing our schedules - dumb people are not guided by reason...
    Still doesn't matter, but also hasn't changed.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Because politicians generally hate to repeal laws or cede control, they only want to increase both. But seriously, why would my belief even matter?
    And it couldn't be possible that a majority of Americans like DST, use DST to better their lives?

Over the weekend I asked about 30 different people about DST, found no a single person that cared enough to say they didn't like it, found some that were, meh, but most were love it...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    we continue to change the clocks twice per year in an effort to pretend we aren't changing our schedules - dumb people are not guided by reason...

Still doesn't matter, but also hasn't changed.
    We continue to change our clocks precisely to change our schedule relative to the daylight...

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    And it couldn't be possible that a majority of Americans like DST, use DST to better their lives?
    Like? Doubtful. All the polls I see show it is wildly unpopular to continue changing. Most claim it is not worth the cost.

Use the changes to better their lives? Nonsense. You'd definitely need to show your work to claim something like that.

Over the weekend I asked about 30 different people about DST, found no a single person that cared enough to say they didn't like it, found some that were, meh, but most were love it...

You probably only found people like yourself who prefer more daylight after your work schedules. Doubt you specified as I would that the actual question is if changing schedules back and forth biannually makes sense or provides any benefit to overcome the costs.

We continue to change our clocks precisely to change our schedule relative to the daylight...
    And you're unwilling or unable to compare the actual costs vs. benefits (if there are any) of continuing that antiquated practice.

Reactions: KLB

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

I'm not seeing that at all. I only know a few people that like it. I used to love summer evenings, right before sundown. I miss that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Like? Doubtful. All the polls I see show it is wildly unpopular to continue changing. Most claim it is not worth the cost.

Use the changes to better their lives? Nonsense. You'd definitely need to show your work to claim something like that.

You probably only found people like yourself who prefer more daylight after your work schedules. Doubt you specified as I would that the actual question is if changing schedules back and forth biannually makes sense or provides any benefit to overcome the costs.

And you're unwilling or unable to compare the actual costs vs. benefits (if there are any) of continuing that antiquated practice.
    So a poll conducted in conjunction with the PIA of changing clocks is accurate?

The people I asked were all successful in life so, yes, they were like me. LOL

How can one out a price on an hour of daylight after work to play with your kids or grandkids? To play a round of golf, shoot, garden. Or maybe use that light look for a new car or home? Get your chores done through the week so you can travel on the weekends. Real people use that daylight after work, I bet you do too, though you cannot admit that here...

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

How can one out a price on an hour of daylight after work to play with your kids or grandkids? To play a round of golf, shoot, garden. Or maybe use that light look for a new car or home? Get your chores done through the week so you can travel on the weekends. Real people use that daylight after work, I bet you do too, though you cannot admit that here...
    My grandkids won't be outside playing with me at 9-10 pm. I do garden, it's too hot after work, doesn't cool down until after bedtime mid-summer now. It isn't the PITA of changing the clocks, it's about quality of life and pros vs cons. Seems most of us see more cons. It was just starting to be light in the AM when driving to work, now it is dark again.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Uh, yeah. The changes are the cost. To leave the costs out and only ask if they enjoy their preferences would not be a DST poll at all.

Admit it? I quit giving it back in the winter! I obviously value it more than you.

Now, I may not cheer when you catch back up from your 4 months of slow winter time, but I did welcome you back. ;)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm not seeing that at all. I only know a few people that like it. I used to love summer evenings, right before sundown. I miss that.
    Funny, your social group must be very different from mine, since you go to work so early you likely have a social group in sync with that timing. But that super early morning is not the norm for most of the people, mist people go to work around 8:00 AM. They can work, get some groceries, get some dinner, do a few chores, then watch the sunset.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Well now when I have to get up and pee it’s time to get up and get a shower and get ready for work . My bladder knew the time change was coming .

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Funny, your social group must be very different from mine, since you go to work so early you likely have a social group in sync with that timing. But that super early morning is not the norm for most of the people, mist people go to work around 8:00 AM. They can work, get some groceries, get some dinner, do a few chores, then watch the sunset.

Not everyone in my social group goes to work early. My husband doesn't, and he doesn't like DST any more. Early start times are pretty common if you live and work where there's lots of manufacturing. Plenty of places start earlier than i do. (glad i don't work there)

Top Bottom