• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I believe it to be a political compromise so sunrise is not 9:00 am in December...
    Huh??? That doesn't sound like a benefit at all.

I can't make you answer or support your earlier claim but neither can I pitch any slower than this.

I suppose we can just consider your claim abandoned for now.

iu

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well, the sun rose today like it always does each day.

There was no nuclear war.

There was no riots because of it.

Buildings were not burnt down to the ground because of it.

Life continued on as it has with nary a burp, and the earth continued to spin on it's axis and not out of control and end up colliding with the moon.

I did over the last two weeks what I have done since Indiana went on DST, that is going to bed a mere half hour earlier (or later), getting my normal amount of sleep and awakening at the appropriate time.

There was no inconvenience to me, I did not fret that world was going to end at 2am this morning.

My dog didn't mind either because I changed his feeding schedule a half hour 2 weeks ago.

Studies about DST time change are just like all other studies. Data is gathered and then manipulated to fit the agenda.

It's a hour folks, if more people on here worried about our 2A rights like they fret on DST time changes then things might look a little different.
    (Yes I did mention the 2A, because, you know, this is a gun forum.)

Me and my dog are now going to enjoy the rest of the evening. That is all, continue with the craziness.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

I can't make you answer or support your earlier claim but neither can I pitch any slower than this.

iu
    To give the benefit that the golf course owner wanted the bargain was that those that didn't want 9:00 am sunrise in December we would "dither" back in the fall.

Not sure how I can simplify it further.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    To give the benefit that the golf course owner wanted the bargain was that those that didn't want 9:00 am sunrise in December we would "dither" back in the fall.

Every time I see a golf course I think to myself, "that would make a really nice shooting range".

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So if we only changed the work schedules but not your clock, the benefit you claim wouldn't still exist?

Come on, man! Not even you believe that, do you?

Try letting the clocks go, they really have very little to do with this matter yet they get all the attention. This is about maintaining the inane tradition of a different winter schedule and the costs associated with switching back and forth biannually when there really is no benefit. If you insist on claiming some actual benefit, I think it's time for you to show your work.

All you've shown is a preference for which schedule to set it on when we stop changing.

iu
    The DST thing as expressed in this thread seems mask-adjacent. Some people like it and thus believe everyone should do it

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

I don't need you to simplify that further. The tangent you're offering here, this hypothetical bargaining between two imaginary groups you seem to have just dreamed up, doesn't really answer my specific question or support your specific claim.

Others are still welcome to try. I mean, I've been asking for these claimed "benefits" of continuing to change everything back and forth for years now to no avail. I wasn't actually expecting you to produce any. :D

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't need you to simplify that further. The tangent you're offering here, this hypothetical bargaining between two imaginary groups you seem to have just dreamed up, doesn't really answer my specific question or support your specific claim.

Others are still welcome to try. I mean, I've been asking for these claimed "benefits" of continuing to change everything back and forth for years now to no avail. I wasn't actually expecting you to produce any. :D
    None is so blind as those that won't see..

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The DST thing as expressed in this thread seems mask-adjacent. Some people like it and thus believe everyone should do it
    Except DST has been accepted as a fixture of American life for many decades. Timekeeping is one of those things that don’t work well with individual choice. We all either do this or we all do that. Even if you decide not to change your clocks, okay, fine. But you’re still having to do the conversion to make your schedule compatible with work or school or your dentist, or whoever.

I think a better answer is to go with UTC. But that takes societal agreement to become the new timekeeping institution. But we don’t tend to switch institutional things to “better”. They just, either evolve into whatever, or there is some revolution that comes along and paradigms change.

If you want this one to change maybe the woke people will agree with you as their revolution completes and they decide that DST is racist, homophobic, transphobic, invented by white men to oppress the poor.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    And just how would that work in the real world?
    It would probably lead us back to something approximating the original time zones in which the areas within were on a time approximately in step with the state as opposed to a custom time for every little burg. As I pointed out earlier, Brazil is approximately 20 miles from the Illinois line and has a local solar time 3 minutes different from CST. Jeffersonville, reasonably near Ohio, has a local solar time that was about 7 minutes from CST. Applying EDT to anywhere in Indiana has no bearing on reality.

As I mentioned previously I had no problem with using CDT year round as we did for decades. Two hours from solar time (and the deleterious effects on the health of those not fortunate enough to work bankers' hours) is just too much of a reach especially given the arbitrary reasons used to justify it.

The nonsensical idea of changing time twice a year compounds the madness--all because Mitch Daniels is both too stupid to understand that if it's nit broke don't fix it and too elitist to give a damn about how it affects anyone outside the top tax bracket.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Except DST has been accepted as a fixture of American life for many decades. Timekeeping is one of those things that don’t work well with individual choice. We all either do this or we all do that. Even if you decide not to change your clocks, okay, fine. But you’re still having to do the conversion to make your schedule compatible with work or school or your dentist, or whoever.

I think a better answer is to go with UTC. But that takes societal agreement to become the new timekeeping institution. But we don’t tend to switch institutional things to “better”. They just, either evolve into whatever, or there is some revolution that comes along and paradigms change.

If you want this one to change maybe the woke people will agree with you as their revolution completes and they decide that DST is racist, homophobic, transphobic, invented by white men to oppress the poor.
    I have to disagree with your first point regarding DST being accepted for many decades. I was 32 years old before Mitch shoved DST up our asses.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

iu
    Using the "Soup Nazi" is a somewhat unfair advantage dontcha think.....:):

Top Bottom