• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Wouldn't that be true no matter what time you set your clock to?

It must be hard coming up with reasons to act excited about something that makes so little sense, but kudos for trying!
    Sunset yesterday was at about 6:50 and today it is 7:50 so there is one additional hour until sunset. That is a benefit in my world, those going to bed at 8:00, not so much...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Sunset yesterday was at about 6:50 and today it is 7:50 so there is one additional hour until sunset. That is a benefit in my world, those going to bed at 8:00, not so much...
    Again, you could set the clock such that sunset occurs at any arbitrary time on any arbitrary day, but we both know such wankery is of no benefit to anyone in any world.

We could discuss the actual costs/benefits of changing so many schedules, but you can't simply conflate those two things.

:@ya:

Welcome back.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes, but in "absolute" time, the sun still would be going down at approximately the same time as yesterday (perhaps a minute later due to the approaching summer solstice), regardless of what the clock says.

Like the old joke... An old Indian chief said, "Only white man could think that cutting off one end of blanket and sewing it on other end of blanket makes a longer blanket."

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Again, you could set the clock such that sunset occurs at any arbitrary time on any arbitrary day, but we both know such wankery is of no benefit to anyone in any world.

We could discuss the actual costs/benefits of changing so many schedules, but you can't simply conflate those two things.

:@ya:

Welcome back.
    It is a benefit to me. But if one does not see that benefit then it must not exist.

Happy to see you back!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yes, but in "absolute" time, the sun still would be going down at approximately the same time as yesterday (perhaps a minute later due to the approaching summer solstice), regardless of what the clock says.

Like the old joke... An old Indian chief said, "Only white man could think that cutting off one end of blanket and sewing it on other end of blanket makes a longer blanket."
    It is the sunset in relation to the time of society.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Oh I know, but it's just an illusion. There is still the same total number of hours of daylight and darkness. That's the point ATM was making.
    The hours of sunlight do not change. That is understood.

The move of societal activities from many sleeping during that light in the early morning to using that light in the evening is not an illusion, it is very real.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The hours of sunlight do not change. That is understood.

The move of societal activities from many sleeping during that light in the early morning to using that light in the evening is not an illusion, it is very real.
    This is true. Any discussion about the benefits/detriments of switching clocks must recognize that the impact isn’t the number of daylight hours, but where the schedules of society fall within the daylight hours. And we also have to acknowledge the truth that those schedules are indeed social constructs:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is true. Any discussion about the benefits/detriments of switching clocks must recognize that the impact isn’t the number of daylight hours, but where the schedules of society fall within the daylight hours. And we also have to acknowledge the truth that those schedules are indeed social constructs:
    Flex time FTW! :rockwoot:

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It is a benefit to me. But if one does not see that benefit then it must not exist.

Happy to see you back!
    So if we only changed the work schedules but not your clock, the benefit you claim wouldn't still exist?

Come on, man! Not even you believe that, do you?

Try letting the clocks go, they really have very little to do with this matter yet they get all the attention. This is about maintaining the inane tradition of a different winter schedule and the costs associated with switching back and forth biannually when there really is no benefit. If you insist on claiming some actual benefit, I think it's time for you to show your work.

All you've shown is a preference for which schedule to set it on when we stop changing.

iu

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So if we only changed the work schedules but not your clock, the benefit you claim wouldn't still exist?

Come on, man! Not even you believe that, do you?

Try letting the clocks go, they really have very little to do with this matter yet they get all the attention. This is about maintaining the inane tradition of a different winter schedule and the costs associated with switching back and forth biannually when there really is no benefit. If you insist on claiming some actual benefit, I think it's time for you to show your work.

All you've shown is a preference for which schedule to set it on when we stop changing.

iu
    Isn't DST just the simplest way to change work schedules?

A golf course owner benefits greatly when sunset is 4 hours after the 5:00 pm workday rather than just 3. The golfer has time to get there and play a round, 3 is just not enough time for many working people.

With DST many of my friends can get home and do their chores, then get all their yard work done and leave their weekend open for other things.

That is but one example. Please don't tell me you cannot see that benefit...

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Isn't DST just the simplest way to change work schedules?

A golf course owner benefits greatly when sunset is 4 hours after the 5:00 pm workday rather than just 3. The golfer has time to get there and play a round, 3 is just not enough time for many working people.

With DST many of my friends can get home and do their chores, then get all their yard work done and leave their weekend open for other things.

That is but one example. Please don't tell me you cannot see that benefit...
    Just tell me how the golf course owner benefits in any way from switching back and forth between different schedules and you'll be on your way toward a defense of perpetuating DST time changes.

I get that the owner might have a preference for leaving it on the summer schedule rather than the winter schedule, same as you, but I want you to explain the actual benefit either of you could claim from continuing to dither back and forth biannually.

Then we can compare that actual benefit with the associated costs.

Is there an actual benefit to the changes? Define it, please.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just tell me how the golf course owner benefits in any way from switching back and forth between different schedules and you'll be on your way toward a defense of perpetuating DST time changes.

I get that the owner might have a preference for leaving it on the summer schedule rather than the winter schedule, same as you, but I want you to explain the actual benefit either of you could claim from continuing to dither back and forth biannually.

Then we can compare that actual benefit with the associated costs.

Is there an actual benefit to the changes? Define it, please.
    I believe it to be a political compromise so sunrise is not 9:00 am in December...

Top Bottom