• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I have a 10/22, now I want a real tack driver and I don't feel like tweaking my Ruger. I've narrowed it down to one of the Savage models with accutrigger, or a cz 452/453/455. Savage is cheaper, CZ's look great, which is more accurate in ya'll's experience?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My buddy's Savage MkII was more accurate with him on the trigger than my CZ-452 was with me on the trigger...

I'd say that it's a wash in the "mechanical accuracy" standpoint; just like anything else. The most important part is the software and finding an ammunition type that it likes, not necessary the rifle itself.

If it sways you at all, I think that Savage magazines are less expensive. There almost certainly more common. Can buy 'em at Walmart; even stores that don't sell firearms will usually have a few.

Might be easier to find scope rings for the Savage, too.

-J-

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I picked up a CZ 452 FS used at a local auction not long ago. It had a Sightron scope. First range trip I shot dime sized groups at 50 yards with CCI mini-mags.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have no experience with CZ, but I do have a Savage MKIIFV. It's is the heavy barreled model. I absolutely love it. I topped it off with a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 scope, and Burris rings. I love the trigger, and it's as smooth as a babies ***. I have some target ammo, to do some ammo testing. Mini mags have given me some good groups though.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a Savage, and a few friends who do also. Real nice guns, find an ammo your gun likes, and you'll have a great day at the range. I dropped in a Rifle Basix trigger in mine, and with some Eley match ammo, you can definitely state that the missed targets are yours, not the guns. I trying to trade for one in 17 HMR too.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I have a Savage, and a few friends who do also. Real nice guns, find an ammo your gun likes, and you'll have a great day at the range. I dropped in a Rifle Basix trigger in mine, and with some Eley match ammo, you can definitely state that the missed targets are yours, not the guns. I trying to trade for one in 17 HMR too.

Why'd you change the trigger? That's one of the great advantages, I'd think.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I'm loving my 452 just had my 3rd range trip in a week yesterday and have shot about 750 rds through it. I can do 1/2" @ 100 with it. Never shot a savage so I can't compare but I definitely have zero buyer remorse on the CZ. The CZ american models do have a weird size scope rail though but you can get rings that work fine with it.

Details on ammo test:https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...can_16_22lr_range_report_7_types_of_ammo.html

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For the money I think I would start with a Savage Mark II BTV and try all the different 22 ammo I could lay my hands on. Accuracy with the Savage rifles has always been great.

I bought my Mark II BV for $235 before the BVT came out. The BVT is the bees nees on stock design (if you shoot right handed) since it gets your eye up behind the scope for a nice cheek weld, instead of a corner of the mouth weld.

The stock on the BV looks very nice. Savage also makes a classic Walnut stock rimfire.

I have shot a 0.32" five shot groups at 50 yards. At one match I shot a 3-shot sighter group that I can't measure. It is under 0.10" and I would guess 0.05". It holds its own in my clubs benchrest matches against Anchutzes. It is only hampered by it's shooter, cheap match ammo, and almost perfect 3# trigger -- the Anchutzes have 14 oz triggers -- at 24x I can put the 1/8 MOA dot inside the benchrest target 10 ring at 50 yards, and watch the dot move as I pull the trigger. With a lighter trigger I think it could be a consistent 1/4" rifle.

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    CZ and Savage both make very nice rifles. In the Accuracy department i would have to give a slight nod to the CZ, although the Savage comes in at a very close second. If you look at the value side of it the CZ's will always be worth more money. I don't think you can go wrong with either rifle. I own both and enjoy both of them equally. However when it comes to resale the CZ is always going to be worth more. :twocents:

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Just bought a Savage MKII FV for competition shooting from a Gunsmith in Idaho who sells guns at wholesale if you buy his accurizing package. I sent him my scope for mounting as well. He is using Weaver Rings and bore sights the scope and shoots the gun before shipping. Whole package was $446 shipped. Pretty good deal. Takes about 4 weeks to get gun, so I am still waiting. His name is Scott and his website is: savagegunsmithing.com

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Why'd you change the trigger? That's one of the great advantages, I'd think.

I had an early Accu-Trigger, which was better than any other factory trigger I've used, but wasn't nearly as good as my buddies aftermarket. I have had very good luck with Rifle Basix triggers and service on centerfire rifles, so i spent a little cash and was have been very pleased with the results, with no worries about a "shade-tree" trigger job from the keyboard commandos.

If I can talk my buddy out of his Savage in 17HMR, I'll drop a new trigger in this one as well. Once spoiled, it is hard to go back.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    For the price, the Savage is going to shoot just as well as any CZ. If you want something to pass on to your kids or grandkids one day then get the CZ.

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    sure, come over to my place and i will put them side by side and show you the difference. its a pretty well known fact that CZ has the best hand lapped barrels available on a factory produced rifle. I am a huge Savage fan, but CZ's are just a bit more accurate. The average shooter probably wouldn't know the difference.

No offense, but can you offer any proof?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Biggest factor affecting accuracy is the barrel, I don't think any would argue that. The CZ uses a hammer forged barrel, not bad but also not as good as the Savage's button rifles barrel. There is a reason Hart, Lilja, Shilen, Douglas, Wilson Arms, Neville Madden (Maddco), Dennis Tobler in Australia and Anshutz in Germany use button rifling. In fact there isn't a single big name custom barrel maker using hammer forging.

Why is hammer forging so popular then? It is the fastest method of barrel production and the cheapest once the equipment has been set up. It does make good barrels...but it doesn't make the best.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Lots of good comments on here. Either rifle will shoot very well. It will ultimately come down to your individual choice. I recently bought a Savage MKII TR and it shot pretty well on the first range trip. I checked the torque settings, and on the next trip it was shooting one hole groups at 50 yards consistantly. Either rifle will prefer a particular tye of ammo. .22s are just that way. If you go with a Savage, save some time and just buy some Wolf MT. It has been an excellent ammo in every Savage I have ever shot it in. Good luck and have fun. .22s are lots of fun!

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    i think there are plenty of people that would argue about your statement that button rifling is better than hammer forging. Just because most companies use button rifled barrels don't make them the best. :twocents:

Biggest factor affecting accuracy is the barrel, I don't think any would argue that. The CZ uses a hammer forged barrel, not bad but also not as good as the Savage's button rifles barrel. There is a reason Hart, Lilja, Shilen, Douglas, Wilson Arms, Neville Madden (Maddco), Dennis Tobler in Australia and Anshutz in Germany use button rifling. In fact there isn't a single big name custom barrel maker using hammer forging.

Why is hammer forging so popular then? It is the fastest method of barrel production and the cheapest once the equipment has been set up. It does make good barrels...but it doesn't make the best.

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    i think there are plenty of people that would argue about your statement that button rifling is better than hammer forging. Just because most companies use button rifled barrels don't make them the best. :twocents:

Most companies don't use button rifling these days, many have gone to the cheaper hammer forging. But if hammer forging is better, name one maker of high end target barrels that use that method.

Top Bottom