Customizing My AR-15 - Need a little guidance please...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Greeting guys and gals.

I have a S&W M&P 15 Sport. It has the pop-up rear magpul mbus sight. I would like to add a red dot to it, and have decided (I think) on the Vortex StrikeFire II Red Dot based on the recommendations from INGO members. I see the top rail has the picatinny rail - so I believe installing the red dot should be fairly straightforward.

I also want to mount a light on the rifle. Be it one in a forend grip or another type. However, I don't see where anything would mount to the current forend. Am I missing something? Do I need to purchase a special forend that also has the rails for customizing? If I do need to purchase a new forend, am I better off getting an entirely new furniture set?

I am a novice when it comes to these types of additions and customizations. When I carried this type of rifle 20 years ago - there weren't this many options. :cool:

I did some searching to try and find some answers, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I know that the members here will be in the know. I welcome all comments, advice, suggestions...etc and appreciate your response. :ingo:

Adding in one last question - which I know is a bit subjective - I have never fired this rifle. Would I be better off selling and buying a different/better quality AR that is ready immediately for customization and add-ons rather than trying to make it work with the M&P Sport? I don't want to spend $2500 on something crazy - but if there are reasons to spend $1k and have huge improvements, I would be willing to do so. :)

Last edited:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I believe the hand guard that comes with the m&p 15 is the mil spec style handguard. It would make it harder to mount a light. There are light mounts that connect to the front sight post or the barrel. Alternatively, you can pick up a magpul carbine length handguard which will install easily and allow for lights to be mounted. They can be had pretty cheaply, only about $30 brand new.

to answer your last question, the m&p sport is a great rifle. You won't be hindered by it unless you get really into shooting. and if you decide you want something else in the future, you should be able to sell it and not take a huge loss. I would stick with it and shoot it before you just up and sell. My opinion though,mite your decision

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The best accessory you can add to your AR is a really good driver. The current driver may need a good pile of ammunition to get there, so that's the first purchase I'd evaluate.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    disregard. I saw the decription and mistook it for a 1" scope riser. Second pass I realized it wasnt what I thought.

Burgy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    Noblesville

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Buy one of the newer magpul carbine handguards with MLOK slots. Put a MLOK rail section on, and whatever light/mount you want. Or you can spend a couple hundred and put on a free float handguard. Your choice. If you ever intend to FF, I would do it sooner vs later.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Midwest Industries (and others) make a block that attaches to the standard FSB for accessories.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=94

I have an M lok handguard. Works but am not impressed.
    Actually prefer the regular GI handguard (smaller carbine version, not M4) and reg tele buttstock (have one so equipped, the other with Magpul stuff).

Magpul CTR is OK, but again, think I'd have been just as happy with a reg stock.

Factory grip however sucks bigtime, that needs changed on any of them :)

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Midwest Industries (and others) make a block that attaches to the standard FSB for accessories.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=94

I have an M lok handguard. Works but am not impressed.
    Actually prefer the regular GI handguard (smaller carbine version, not M4) and reg tele buttstock (have one so equipped, the other with Magpul stuff).

Magpul CTR is OK, but again, think I'd have been just as happy with a reg stock.

Factory grip however sucks bigtime, that needs changed on any of them :)

So this Midwest Industries mount can be attached to the front site and not necessitate a forend change?

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Yes they can. They area bout the same price as an mlok forend from magpul though. So it depends on how it goes farther down the road with what you want to do with it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bolting stuff on a carbine forend...........not much real estate to start with.
    Might tolerate it, might not (FSB mount or handguard mount).
    Never know until you handle 'em.

Top Bottom