• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Maybe that's why some people actually managed to get theirs before the 8 week mark.

Took 8 weeks and 1 day total time for the wife to get hers... Not bad if you ask me, considering everything.

The government is slow, but it appears the wheels might have started turning and they're finally taking steps to get caught back up.

I'm sure some people's will still take longer than others, but I would say that if it's taking 11 weeks or more, I'd be on the phone asking questions.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    Got it figured out, it was actually approved and sent out around April 2.

So did you get it yet? Did you question the Post Office? That seems a bit scary to me that they may have lost it. Someone else may be out there walking around with your permit! Hopefully it didnt come in the mail and someone thought it was junk and threw it away. At least you know they can send you a replacement for like $20. That would probably take 8 more weeks though. If you were told by the ISP that it was approved, and you dont have it yet, you should still be legal to carry. I'm wondering if maybe they told you that to cover themselves because they realized it was outside the legal 60 days they have to issue, so maybe they said "oh yeah, it was approved on such and such, and when you hang up they hurry up and print one off! That's :patriot: For Ya

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    Also, I'm still wondering what it is exactly that is so hard about processing an application. What kind of bg check is it they are doing that takes 8 weeks. In my mind I would guess it just takes 8 weeks for them to come to your ap in the pile, then maybe they do an NICS check, or some kind of fingerprint scan check, file the ap & fingerprints, print the license and mail it. Of course they open the envelopes as they arrive, take the MO out and cash them right away, then the envelopes probably get stacked in a huge pile on one of the worker's desks for 8 weeks till they work their way down to yours. Anybody really know what they do? :dunno:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Actually it got here fine, there was just a problem getting it to me. My dad hid it from me. Yeah that's right HID it from me. I didn't get it. He said he didn't think I was ready for it. I am more responsible/mature than half the people I know that are 10 years older than me. This is the man that got me started shooting when I was like 6 years old. Bought me my first 2 guns. We hunt everything we can every chance we get together. He is as conservative as it gets (so i thought). I trust him more than anyone I know. After I called the ISP I asked my mom if she knew where it was. She said "ask your father" I knew what that meant because he had allready mentioned that he didn't think I was ready for it and had joked about hiding it. I asked him, and he said no with a **** eating grin on his face. I have never "thrown down" with the man, but that was about as close as its ever gotten. The story ends with no real big issues between us and I have my permit.

P.S. He has his permit, but only uses it for hunting.

Sorry for the long story, but thought some might find it interesting.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    If you were told by the ISP that it was approved, and you dont have it yet, you should still be legal to carry.

Do NOT try this. A friend several years ago was pulled over for speeding. The cop asked him to get out of the car, which my friend did, leaving his range bag, with his LTCH and pistol in it, in the car.

The cop asked "any weapons?" My friend says "yes, in the car, and I have a license." But, since the license was NOT on his person, he got arrested for "carrying a handgun without a permit." It actually went to trial - "not guilty," but it ended up costing him many thousands of dollars.

SO - if your handgun AND your license are in your car - you will be "possessing" the handgun, but NOT possessing" your license. If you haven't even gotten your license because it got lost in the mail, it's probably a capital offense.

The lesson is: If "officer friendly" asks, don't tell. You don't know if he's a good guy or one of the jack-booted thugs.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you were told by the ISP that it was approved, and you dont have it yet, you should still be legal to carry.

Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I wouldnt carry a handgun without the LTCH in my possesion. I ran into the store the other day and had left my wallet in the car, and sweated until I got back in the car since I didnt have my LTCH on my person...

INGunGuy

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    SO - if your handgun AND your license are in your car - you will be "possessing" the handgun, but NOT possessing" your license. If you haven't even gotten your license because it got lost in the mail, it's probably a capital offense. .

I can't believe that even went to trial. This is the biggest failing with prosecutors. They favor convictions over justice. It's inconceivable to me that you could be in possession of one but not the other when they're both in the same physical location.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    That cop just sounds like a dickhead.

Many of them are. I wish they wore some identifying uniform. I generally don't like being rude or evasive with cops because I've known many who were really good guys, but there are some Really Bad Apples out there too, and they will do nothing good in an encounter.

It might be their political beliefs, their desire to look good for their bosses, or simply their desire to throw their "authority" around - but in the end it doesn't really matter, since it's the citizens to end up hassled and jailed for stupid stuff.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Many of them are. I wish they wore some identifying uniform.

Yeah, but many of them aren't, too. Maybe we should do the George Carlin thing where everyone gets issued a suction-cup dart gun. Any time someone does something you don't like, you shoot them with a dart. When they have like ten darts stuck to their car, they get a ticket for being an a******.

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    I applied for mine on April 13th at the local Sheriff's Command post since I'm outside city limits. They have not yet called me back for my fingerprint cards, money and to send the info to state.

Neighbor of mine applied April 10th and hasn't gotten a call yet either.

The woman at the desk said it would be 4 weeks before they would send it to the ISP.

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    dropped my and my wife's lifetime permits applications in the mail yesterday. we did the online application earlier in the week, and went to the VPD Friday for fingerprints.
    i'll let you know whan we get them.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I applied for mine on April 13th at the local Sheriff's Command post since I'm outside city limits. They have not yet called me back for my fingerprint cards, money and to send the info to state.

Neighbor of mine applied April 10th and hasn't gotten a call yet either.

The woman at the desk said it would be 4 weeks before they would send it to the ISP.

Man, that kind of service really stinks! I guess I will give kudo's to the Franklin county Sheriff office. I walked in, filled out the app and was fingerprinted. Sheriff happened to be there, signed the form and I was out the door in 15 minutes. Now it was a renewal but still waiting your length of time borders on insane.........

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom