Current LTCH Wait

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

  • Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

    johenz

    Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    158
    16
    Indianapols, IN
    I hope it arrives soon for ya, Jon. I'm starting to feel like I may have mine in time to carry at my retirement party and I'm not 50 years old yet. Slightly frustrated.

    fnpfan

    Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    352
    18
    Larwill
    ok, i know for a fact that the law states that all permits will be approved or denied within 60 days. please some one tell me how to hold them to this, who to call, what to do. i am willing to take this this to the extreme. i have called this 317-232-8264 evry day for the past2 weeks. that is not getting me anywhere! any info would be great ...thanx.

    Joe Williams

    Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    10,431
    38
    ok, i know for a fact that the law states that all permits will be approved or denied within 60 days. please some one tell me how to hold them to this, who to call, what to do. i am willing to take this this to the extreme. i have called this 317-232-8264 evry day for the past2 weeks. that is not getting me anywhere! any info would be great ...thanx.

    You have three options:

    1) keep waiting

    2) start calling your state rep everyday demanding action be taken, or the law amended to require the automatic issuance of the LTCH if the State Police exceed the 60 days permitted by law

    3) Sue the State Police

    deter

    Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    56
    6
    Auburn, IN
    ok, i know for a fact that the law states that all permits will be approved or denied within 60 days. please some one tell me how to hold them to this, who to call, what to do. i am willing to take this this to the extreme. i have called this 317-232-8264 evry day for the past2 weeks. that is not getting me anywhere! any info would be great ...thanx.

    Settle down and be patient?

    Oldman

    Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    36
    6
    Bluffton, In
    email

    This is the response a representative got from ISP. I waited for his permission to post it. My take is to use L-1 exclusively and stop violating the law that the ISP is sworn to uphold. In the meantime..catch up!

    It is fine to share the ISP information on the message board as far as I am concerned.

    Jeff

    From: jespich@iga.in.gov
    To: @hotmail.com
    Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:49:38 -0400
    Subject: Handgun License Renewal

    Without revealing your name, I did contact the Indiana State Police with the questions you posed. I received the following response:

    ISP Response
    “The wait time is approximately 11 to 12 weeks, if the application is done manually. If submitted electronically and there is no problem with the background check, a license turnaround time is approximately one week. As for the shortage, when L-1 was implemented we did not lose any workers, we actually hired three temporary workers in addition to the regular staff in an effort to catch up. Every time the media makes a comment about gun regulations, we receive an increase of applications. Typically we receive a box a day (by hand, not electronic) but when guns are the topic of a media event, we will receive 5 to 8 boxes a day. Just recently when the Supreme Court decision concerning the Second Amendment right was the topic, we received a ton of applications.

    We do prefer to have them submitted electronically because it takes less man hours to produce the license. When applications are not submitted electronically, we have to enter the data into the computer. Some departments delay sending us the applications which extends the process. When we receive an application, we send the check or money order to the Treasurer and nothing is done with the application until we verify the funding source is OK and the state deposits the money. This step is avoided with the electronic submission because if the funding source isn’t valid, the application is stopped at that point.

    All applicants who submit their renewal prior to the expiration date can carry the receipt of renewal and the old permit and be valid.

    We are trying to keep up, but this task is monumental.”

    I hope the above response is helpful. Let me know if you have additional questions.

    Jeff

    Hammerhead

    Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    2,780
    38
    Bartholomew County
    I just got off the phone with Mr. Anthony Brown at ISP. They've now added a nice little recorded "you've got a twelve week wait, find out when your MO was cashed and add twelve weeks" message to the line when you call them. Mr. Brown told me that they were working on the applications from Apr. 29. He stated to me that due to the date mine was received, that it could still be three and a half weeks.

    I've already sent my state Senator a letter about it. He seems to be a pro gun guy, with his mailers I've been getting touting the new gun at work law.

    I also told Mr. Brown (and my state Senator) that there should be a clearer explanation of how using L-1 would help the process on the website when applications were done. With the only information being that L-1 is available, those of us who decided not to use them (not able to make an informed decision) get the shaft. Mr. Brown at least agreed to pass it along.

    If you're waiting, and your application was received by them after Apr. 29, it's in a box on a shelf until they can get to it.

    fnpfan

    Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    352
    18
    Larwill
    dose anyone know if i can just file again, using the L1 option, i filed in late may, they havent even looked at mine yet? could i file L1 and get it before mine is ever seen?

    XtremeVel

    Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    2,380
    48
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't do it ! If you look back in this thread, others have inquired this and were told not to. If I remember right, it could cause confusion down there and delay things even more for you.

    JoshuaW

    Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    2,266
    38
    South Bend, IN
    OldMan, thank you. I know you made that information available to me in private, and I greatly appreciated it. Good to know that something is getting done, well, sort of.

    I think we need to light a constant fire under their butts to get it done. I am talking letters to our reps, head of the ISP, the licensing division, etc. Heck, I think an email to governor is in order to.

    Furthermore, we need to organize as a community. We need to all be doing basically the same thing so we get better noticed, and they see we are not just a couple of pissed off gun nuts, but rather a large group of frustrated gun owners.

    I got to talk politics with some friends (political friends) and was encouraged to do basically that. Hit hard with the law saying 60 days. Insist they take on more workers, or form a specific protocol for "rushed' applications (that is, applications that people have called about or shown concern over).

    I personally will work on some generic letters that will be fill in the blank so others can easily email a barrage of people. Print letters help more. Lets not let up until they change the policy for the better.

    Hammerhead

    Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    2,780
    38
    Bartholomew County
    Before I called the ISP today, I sent a letter to my district state senator. The person who responded said they had an inquiry in to the ISP legislative liaison. I basically told them that I was not happy with the fact that as citizens, if we break a law in the Indiana code, we get punished, however if the ISP breaks the law laid out specifically for them, they get no penalty. There's no punishment. There's no motivation.

    I get that they're getting increased applications, so much so that they're getting boxes they have to file and return to. I'm sympathetic to their administrative plight. It's got to be reassuring and annoying at the same time that so many citizens want to arm themselves legally and protect themselves. But the law is the law. Not only for us but for them as well.

    I personally don't have the desire to sue. For all that, I can wait whatever time they need to get it to me. But that doesn't mean I'm going to sit by and allow them to give the citizens the shaft. I'm sure that I'm only one of many who've been waiting, and probably on the scale of things, it's only been 63 days. But that's three days too many. How many days you've been waiting, past the 60 days is too long.

    On a semi-positive note, when I called, the person who finally answered the phone didn't want to help, they didn't want to do anything further. They didn't care because they now have this nifty recording telling us to suck it up and wait our turn. It wasn't until I mentioned that as of three days ago, they were breaking Indiana law that they passed me along.

    I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more!!!

    Oldman

    Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    36
    6
    Bluffton, In
    "I personally will work on some generic letters that will be fill in the blank so others can easily email a barrage of people. Print letters help more. Lets not let up until they change the policy for the better."

    The law says 60 days. The speed limit on US 30 going west is 60. If a citizen goes 77-84 along this stretch a ticket is certain. But if the ISP takes 77-84 days nothing happens. Either get the law changed or comply. The issue of legality is never addressed that I can see...just excuses (reasons) as to why it takes so long. The tone of their responses sounds like they feel some heat.

    I support the ISP in general but this is an area best left to companies like L-1 who are much more efficient. The 1 week processing compared to 12 weeks leads me to believe L-1 has lists of felons and other matters relevant to LTCH that can be checked by entering a name into a computer...and for some reason ISP does not have the same program because they must enter data manually.

    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom