• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should crossbows be legal during early archery without special permit?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

ajb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I am wondering what everyones feelings are about crossbows in early archery season. They have been legal in Ohio for years, Michigan this year.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I am wondering what everyones feelings are about crossbows in early archery season. They have been legal in Ohio for years, Michigan this year.

I vote no. They have been ILLEGAL in Indiana since the inception of archery season and are still illegal for archery season this year.

I hear they are legal in Michigan and Ohio, somethign people should consider if they want to hunt during archery season with a crossbow.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I vote no. They have been ILLEGAL in Indiana since the inception of archery season and are still illegal for archery season this year.

I hear they are legal in Michigan and Ohio, somethign people should consider if they want to hunt during archery season with a crossbow.
    Jack, are they not legal in the late archery season. If not I have been breaking the law in the past 2 years late archery seasons. Early archery season you can NOT use one(unless with a handicap permit) , but in late archery season you CAN (without a permit).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Jack, are they not legal in the late archery season. If not I have been breaking the law in the past 2 years late archery seasons. Early archery season you can NOT use one(unless with a handicap permit) , but in late archery season you CAN (without a permit).

i think that you can hunt with them late season

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I like shooting all forms of Archery from longbow to crossbow. They all have their good and bad points. Crossbows give you a steadier shot but can be tricky to manipulate in a tree stand due to limb direction as I have found out the hard way. I just stick to my limitations with whatever equipment I choose to hunt with.

My favorite example of that was passing on a Pope & Young animal that loitered at 50 yards away for 15-20 minutes one evening. Much as I wanted to take that shot I knew that my best was about a 2 foot circle with the bow I had at that distance, so I worked on getting the deer closer. My buddy got a much closer shot at about 20 yards a few minutes later and collected a great rack.

Would I have taken that shot with my crossbow? I would have considered it for sure as I could hit inside 6" with it at that distance. Archery is challenging regardless of your equipment, and always a lot of fun.:)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Yes they are. I think you may even be able to use them in firearms season.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I have no desire to use one but I'm OK with including them in early archery.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Why? Are crossbow shooters mostly a bunch of slobs and vertical bowhunters consumate professionals? Kind of a broad brush there.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    No, I just think those that hunt with out taking the time to practice (like the guy at Gander the night before gun season opens) would be more likely to pick up a crossbow and try vs a vertical bow.

I could be wrong.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    This same argument went on when compound bows came out, it was going to destroy bowhunting. But it helped in my opinion it increased the number of hunters and made the bowhunting voice much more respected. I have no problem with crossbows in any season. Their are people who buy bows and guns and go hunting without any practice, all they do is sight in and go. This happens now and will happen with crossbows also.
    Just because someone does it different than you do it doesn't make it wrong. Try to keep a open mind.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    What does a 30-06 have to do with archery season? A crossbow has the range of a hand held bow a high power rifle has the range of several hundred yards. All I was saying was if we(hunters) argue within our own ranks we are giving the anti hunters fuel to use against us. If we think a crossbow is to easy or lethal or not lethal enough, how long will it be before a hand held bow becomes too lethal or not lethal enough the same words we use against the crossbow can be turned and used against bowhunting in general.
    Just my .02

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    I dont think they should by allowed late season either without special permit.They should be allowed during firearms and muzzleloader though.They are very accurate and many have scope mounts

Last edited:

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    What does a 30-06 have to do with archery season?
    The same thing as a crossbow in my humble opinion. You look down the scope and pull the trigger.

I am a early season bowhunter and happy the way things are. What will allowing the crossbow into early archery season improve? They are already legal in the late season. Its not a question of whether its capable of taking game or should be legal durring the appropriate season. Yes on both accounts. I guess the real question is, when is the proper time to use them? Its not a bow, so I say, not durring early archery season.:twocents:

ajb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I voted no also

Comparing them to a rifle is a stretch, they are only accurate out to 40 maybe 50 yards then the heavy bolt drops off fast.

Also most of them I have seen don't have open sights, just a scope mount, We don't want people hunting with no sights, do we?

Top Bottom