• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    My 8 year old daught wants to start shooting with me this summer. I am on the search for a youth size 22. I figure she should start out small before going to the .50 bmg. So has anyone used the Crickett 22? Or do you have something else that you like better?

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    My daughter loves her crickett. She is moving up to a Henry youth lever-action this spring. We got the crickett because it was one of two rifles we could find that fit her at the time (I think the other was a Henry single-shot, but our LGS wanted $240+ for it.)

If she could have handled size of the LA, I would have gotten it from the start, however because I believe she will get far more use from it.

FWIW, never had a problem with the Crickett other than getting her used to the sights, but I figure that is what first rifles are for. One plus is that new stocks are only $30-40, so her little brother will get her pink rifle handed down with a new stock of his color choice this summer.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    My 8 year old daught wants to start shooting with me this summer. I am on the search for a youth size 22. I figure she should start out small before going to the .50 bmg. So has anyone used the Crickett 22? Or do you have something else that you like better?

We have the Crickett in black or Pink for $109.99, in stock.

The 1022 is also a great gun, but she may have to grow into it.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I bought a Crickett for my son for his 6th birthday. They seem to be decently put together for the price. My only real gripe is lack of a feed ramp makes single-loading a bit of a PITA, and not something he can do by himself (at least for now). If you can afford to spend a bit more money, the Henry H006 Mini-Bolt or the Savage Cub might be worthy alternatives to investigate.

pipman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    SW Indy
    My 7 yr. old daughter is dying to get a .22 rifle, still working on a few things though. However, I was asking a guy at work about his thoughts on .22 rifles since my daughter seen the pink Crickett, and he warned me to never buy a Crickett due to their safety feature. Apparently they have poor safety mechanisms considering they are a youth rifle. Personally I have not yet handled one to see what he is talking about so I have no personal opinion, I'm just expressing his. He does swear by the Marlin XT-22Y, apparently this is the one he has given to all of his grandchildren and both he and his kids have liked the quality and ease of use for a child.

Again, not my opinion, just passing along what I have been told as I too will be in the market for a youth .22 soon.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    The price isn't an issue I just want something that fits her well. I think she will enjoy it much more with something that feels good to her.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    My 7 yr. old daughter is dying to get a .22 rifle, still working on a few things though. However, I was asking a guy at work about his thoughts on .22 rifles since my daughter seen the pink Crickett, and he warned me to never buy a Crickett due to their safety feature. Apparently they have poor safety mechanisms considering they are a youth rifle. Personally I have not yet handled one to see what he is talking about so I have no personal opinion, I'm just expressing his. He does swear by the Marlin XT-22Y, apparently this is the one he has given to all of his grandchildren and both he and his kids have liked the quality and ease of use for a child.

Again, not my opinion, just passing along what I have been told as I too will be in the market for a youth .22 soon.

The saftey isn't to big of an issue for me. With it being a single shot and me in control of the ammo we should be ok. Plus she is well aware that the only true saftey is her.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    My first rifle, and soon to be my son's first, was/is a Marlin 15Y. Nice little single shot bolt-action with a nice wood stock.

Only issue with a rifle that small is they outgrow them really fast.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If the Henry mini-bolt is within budget, the size is roughly the same as the crickett (my daughter had no problems with the fit of either by the time she was 6, for use it came down to price vs expected use.)

Truckie174

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Pendleton
    We got our 8yr old daughter a Rossi Youth .22/410 combo for Christmas. (Pink, of course) She loves it. We borrowed a cricket from a friend before Christmas, and she liked it too. But, for the $ at the time the Rossi was a better deal, and easier for her to load.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    After practicing for a couple of years with her blue Crikett my 12 year old daughter saved up her $ and we purchased a used 10/22. The Crikett was a GREAT starter weapon for her. She doesn't shoot the Crikett anymore and there are no younger siblings to pass it on to, I can't really bear to sell it off.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    As others have mentioned, check out the Henry Mini-Bolt. I compared several youth rifles at Bradis and settled on that one for my daughter.

pipman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    SW Indy
    The saftey isn't to big of an issue for me. With it being a single shot and me in control of the ammo we should be ok. Plus she is well aware that the only true saftey is her.

I completely agree. I haven't taken it out of consideration, especially for the price.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Personally do not agree with this. Bought the 5 yr. old Granddaughter a camo cricket for Christmas. She is not yet ready to use it but I have put 2 other youngsters through their paces on it and they are now sporting their own crickets. They are not magic. They are as simple as possible for the kids. The safety is in the cocking bolt. You can not fire it if it is not cocked. The rest works well in my opinion.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm thinking about picking one of these up. I'm looking at getting a Walnut one because I'd like to keep it forever for the grandkids. (I know, that's thinking ahead!)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    We got our 8yr old daughter a Rossi Youth .22/410 combo for Christmas. (Pink, of course) She loves it. We borrowed a cricket from a friend before Christmas, and she liked it too. But, for the $ at the time the Rossi was a better deal, and easier for her to load.

Between this and other forums, I've given away almost a dozen Cricket rifles over the past 3 years.
    That said, I have to agree with the above^. Nothing wrong with the Cricket, but for the same money you can have two guns, a .22Lr and a .410ga, or .20ga.

It's still a single shot, but two guns in one. :dunno:

Travis45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Albany
    I have an Oregon Arms Crickett youth that was purchased in 1989 for me when I was 3. It has a nice wood stock and I still have the original box. It probably hasn't seen 50 rounds. Great starter gun.

Top Bottom