• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    This is all I can think of when reading the title of the thread.

noisy-cricket.jpg

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Stop by a Dick's, and check out the, "new", Remington 514. It's actually a re-branded Marlin XT-22Y. Single-shot bolt action, great feed ramp. (the lack of which killed the Henry for me)

It might be a little bigger than what you're after, even though it is considered a "youth" size. I have shot my son's, and it's actually a neat small-size rifle.

Two Weaver #12 mounts, and a Nikon 4X, have made it a very accurate 50yd gun. It hasn't been tested past that.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    +1 for the Crickett. Miguel Jr. started with it and still loves it, though he's beating the drum for something new at this point.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Stop by a Dick's, and check out the, "new", Remington 514. It's actually a re-branded Marlin XT-22Y. Single-shot bolt action, great feed ramp. (the lack of which killed the Henry for me)

It might be a little bigger than what you're after, even though it is considered a "youth" size. I have shot my son's, and it's actually a neat small-size rifle.

Two Weaver #12 mounts, and a Nikon 4X, have made it a very accurate 50yd gun. It hasn't been tested past that.

Thanks, I will check that out. I like the idea of the crickett though- because you can start 'em earlier :)

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    After looking at the options I purchased a Crickett for my 7 year old. The thing he liked the most is the weight. It weighs about 2.5 pounds so he can shoot it offhand with no problem. Someone mentioned having a problem with the safety on the Crickett....my guess is they mean locking mechanism on bottom. All it take to lock the rifle is to push a button. It then takes a key to unlock it. I disabled it.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    This must be an optional "feature," as the rifle I bought for my son, and all the ones we have in-stock at the shop, lack it.

I got mine 3 or 4 years ago so maybe they delegated it. The one other modification i made was to replace the front sight. I installed a high viz one which made it easier for the 10 year old to use peep sights.

Top Bottom