• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    my dad bought a truck off of craigslist in Chicago three days ago. the ad said it was a 2002 chevrolet tahoe and the seller also listed the KBB value as $6,340 and it came with rims and leather among other things. the guy wanted $7,000. my dad bought it for $7k but for some reason out of this ****ing universe he did not bother to look at the title when the guy signed it.

he paid the guy and brought it home. the day after he looked at the title and it said it was a 2000 and not 2002. he called the guy back and he said he will not refund him his money. the guy also said that that the KBB value listed on the add was for a 2000 and that the 2002 year was a typo. i looked up the kbb value and it is indeed for a 2002.

is there anything he can do? i honestly dont think there is, but i would like some advice on how to help him.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately, the seller knew exactly what he was doing and your Dad was exactly the buyer he was looking for. I feel bad for your Dad but I don't know that you can do anything. The seller is a liar.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    craigslist sucks, full of scam artists. I know a few people who were robbed, stolen cars and property when they went on cragislist to buy or sell something.

eagle5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Just curious, what was the difference in KBB value between the 2002 and 2000?

If the vehicle is still in good condition, it may turn out to be an inexpensive lesson (or reminder).

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah this is a bad situation, its too bad people are such snakes these days.

Just a reminder to everyone, get the VIN #, run the carfax, and then when you go to look at the car verify the VIN matches. With the technology available today it makes it more difficult to scam, but obviously it still happens.

Sucks for your dad, the worst part is now he really cant enjoy the vehicle. Everytime I would see it I would get pissed off and eventually would end up trading or selling it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Reinforces the notion that people suck. Yep. The longer I walk this earth, the worse and worse it gets.

Hmmmm....;)

OP--I wonder since you have proof if the lie (Craigslist ad and whatever else), would your dad not have a case? Such proof might offset any "he said-she said" arguement.

sullivmt2015

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    that is ridiculous but I expect nothing less from craigslist. One time I went to buy a desk off of Craigslist and had set up the appointment to see it three days in advance because I was waiting on the guy to have time. I show up at the house to see the desk and the guy doesn't answer the phone...he finally does and says he will be up in a minute. That is when he proceeds to tell me that another person showed up just a few minutes before and offered him more than his asking price. He was asking 350 and she offered 400. He said I could still get it if I wanted to offer 450. Goes without saying, I was pretty upset. Not only did he waste my time, he hustled the other person out of additional money. He seriously set up two people to see the same thing at the exact same time without telling either one of us. It is hard to believe people like this. Sorry to hear about your craigslist experience.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Just curious, what was the difference in KBB value between the 2002 and 2000?

If the vehicle is still in good condition, it may turn out to be an inexpensive lesson (or reminder).

the difference is about $2k. i think its still a nice truck but he wanted a 2002.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Hmmmm....;)

OP--I wonder since you have proof if the lie (Craigslist ad and whatever else), would your dad not have a case? Such proof might offset any "he said-she said" arguement.

the guy said the year was a typo and also this happened in illinois. i was under the impression that a private sale is "as is"

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    the guy said the year was a typo and also this happened in illinois. i was under the impression that a private sale is "as is"

Sorry. He may be screwed then. That was the only crack of hope this lay-lawyer could come up with. Your dad had an opportunity to inspect things like the title and registration. Even by checking the owners manual in the glove box could have provided a clue something wasn't right. I hate it for your dad.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've only made a few transactions on Craigslist and I must have gotten really lucky with the people I dealt with. The last one was for camping stuff and when I got there the guy ended up throwing in more than expected and everything was in better than described condition (was pictured as well but the guy had said it was well used even though it still had quite a bit of life left). Most of it looked almost brand new.

I've looked at a couple vehicles listed on Craigslist but decided against doing much else. I'd emailed a guy about his truck. He wanted to trade and I've got what he wanted but he wasn't willing to give a VIN so I could have a buddy check it out can Carfax.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Don't blame Craigslist

I don't think Craigslist has anything to do with what happened here. From what I've read the seller misrepresented the vehicle year but the Title was actually for the vehicle purchased. Craigslist is nothing more that a classified ad listing service and is not responsible for how individuals market their goods. As a buyer it's your responsibility to make sure the item is as advertised and meets your expectations before you hand over the money. I'm not trying to be to critical of your dad because I know it's easy to take a persons word when dealing with them. Whenever I buy a used vehicle/boat/trailer or whatever I always check the VIN with the paperwork. As far a KBB goes, this is just a guide. The vehicle is worth whatever someone will pay for it and if your dad felt it was overpriced he should of negotiated a lower price or walked away. Just look at Armslist. There are alot of guns on Armslist that sellers are asking alot more than their book value. They can ask any price they want and if someone pays it then that's capitalism. :twocents:

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Anytime I do business, especially with CL people, its in a busy parking lot, Wal-mart or Cabelas. I am carrying and I always have my guy spotting from a few parking slots over... He has the 12 gauge ready to go....

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    craigslist sucks, full of scam artists. I know a few people who were robbed, stolen cars and property when they went on cragislist to buy or sell something.

^^ This ^^ Craigslist is a joke. Even for a legit person to sell on there you will get 10 scam replies to every 1 legit reply. Stay away from CL.

Top Bottom