• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I live in Fort Wayne and work in New Haven. On my way to work the other day I almost hit a coyote on Landin Road. For those not familiar with the area you might not think much of it but the odd part of this is it's pretty much in the city. I didn't realize coyotes were that close to town.

A-savvy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Two or three days out of the week I will have to work late at night and every now and then on my way home I will see coyotes running out of the entrance of my neighborhood or just standing on the side walk. I live in a residential subdivision where the houses and literally 20 feet apart in Noblesville. Also, the nearest patch of woods is atleast 2 miles from my neighborhood and it is a tiny patch and the whole area around it is basically developed neighborhoods. After hearing about coyote attacks on small dogs in Westfield last year, which is the town right next door, I assume there looking for rabbits and small dogs/cats in my neighborhood. It seems like more and more people are seeing coyotes closer to towns and in there neighborhoods all over Indiana.
    Coyote Attacks Greenwood: Residents concerned about coyote attacks in Greenwood - fox59.com

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    That's funny, I live off of maplecrest between lake and state and just saw one this morning in my front yard. I just thought he was lost. I have also heard a lot of people around hear seeing red fox.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I live in Fort Wayne and work in New Haven. On my way to work the other day I almost hit a coyote on Landin Road. For those not familiar with the area you might not think much of it but the odd part of this is it's pretty much in the city. I didn't realize coyotes were that close to town.

I was listening to the Scanner Radio app on my phone one night. Chicago was having some interesting things going on on the south and west sides so I'd tuned in to that channel. There was a call about a coyote a couple blocks north of US Cellular. They're everywhere.

Almost hit what looked like a coydog not all that far from the St. Joseph County 4H fairgrounds. I've had a friend that live in South Bend, fairly close houses in her part of town, text a picture of a mangy coyote in her backyard. She got mad at me when I said something about that coyote might take care of her cat problem.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I live just off West Main St, about 7 blocks from downtown and have seen coyotes, red fox, deer and a wild turkey in my neighborhood. I think they follow the river greenway and the railroad tracks into town. When I pointed out the wild turkey to my wife she said "a peacock must have got loose from the zoo". I explained what it was and she was amazed that we had them in town.

The red fox has a den along the railroad tracks and last year we saw her with two young. I think she feeds mostly on the groundhogs and stray cats in this area.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Mom built a new house a few yrs ago, NW of town, but said fox and deer still came in the yard at the old place, east of Smith Field.
    Back in HS there were both red and gray fox just north of Northrop HS. No yotes then though. Heck there were some pheasant too
    (the rabbit hunting was phenomenal). Too bad it got all built up :(

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    The population of coyotes is not being managed and their natural environment is being depleted. Interestingly enough, I live right outside of the pidgeon river fish and wildlife area and I hardly ever see a fox or coyote except occassionally when in a deer stand.

How they get up there is what I'd like to know.
    ...just curious if you were really reading this.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ...just curious if you were really reading this.

A buddy of mine had a coon dog that would climb trees trying to get to the treed coon. Problem was, the dumb SOB couldn't figure out how to get back down. I must have climbed 20 trees one year just to go up and grab his dog and drop it back down on the ground. The dog was scared to come back down on his own and didn't really want anyone grabbing him. I don't know if you've ever been involved in a dog fight, 15 feet off the ground, but my advice is "don't try it".

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Coyotes come to town for the easy meals......trash, small dogs, rodents and of course......cats.

One place I used to hunt was owned by a veterinarian. Folks in nearby town thought he would adopt the cats they dumped there.

Got to have a pretty decent supply of them, which brought in the yotes, who ate them up.

Problem was, they ate the dumped cats, and his mousers too. Snatched one outside pet right off the edge of his deck with the kids watching from inside. Shook 'em up pretty bad.

So he tells me this next day, asks me to shoot yotes on sight. Next morning I arrow one at 42 yards, uphill, with recurve........kind of a cool shot ;) and knock on his door at lunchtime to show him.

He about flipped when I suggested he cut it open and check for his cat LOL!

Cats and yotes seem to be a match made in Heaven, well, if you add bullets or arrows to both ;)

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    We have a ton of nasty feral cats around here, maybe I could hire a few coyote's. :)

I can't tell you how many times I've sat there with the .22 wondering if I could get away with it.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    I think they follow the rivers. Around my house there are woods and lots of corn. And they find easy food around the houses then camp out during the day in the woods. I have been seeing both in the morning about every other day. Even saw turkeys today right off the new maplecrest extension. It's crazy. And Dave I'm not getting the dog but would be glad to see your friend curse his dog out, I was laughing so hard when I read that. What a hunting dog...............almost

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I live 4 miles from downtown Indianapolis and regularly have a fox in my front yard. We affectionately refer to him as "Hood Fox" because he isnt scared of anything.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I lived on Moeller and & Hartzell and hunted nearby (urban zone) tons of coyotes in town. I quit hunting their, the deer were always running, being run I should say by coyotes. It was impossible to get a shot off. The first year I lived their one got hit in my neighborhood. It was funny, somebody called animal control. I went out to put it's misery and animal control showed up and they acted like it was a killer wolf that I was crazy for going near it. Two police cars showed up, quite a sight, I thought their response was quite funny.

Top Bottom