• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    What cover scent do ya use for deer? I really love essence of fall made by natures essence. Used it for years. But looks like they're now out of buisness.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have shot deer with a cig (back In The day) hanging from my mouth so scents I do get all that hyped up about them.

I now concentrate on lack of scents that deer relate to danger. No fuel or cooking smells ect. More of removing mine than using incense to cover up the smell of weed.

Now my neighbor uses cover scents corn and something called evercalm.he does well for himself so maybe try one of those two.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I play the wind alot too. But I like to give myself any little bit of a help I can
    I have noticed a difference up north where the deer don't smell people a lot. It seems to take the 'in your face' danger away. In Indiana they are more used to the smell I think. Up north where I'm at the deer are spooky as heck. Up here I wash my clothes and put them in bags with pine branches. In Indiana I don't anymore, but I always try to limit my scent going in and out.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I use a bit of Ever Calm on my boots before hiking in to simulate other deer traveling the same way I am. Other than that, deer are capable of distinguishing minute amounts of 100s of scents from each other at the same time so cover scents seem like a waste of money to me.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    The most important aspect of scent control is hunting the wind. Don't hunt a stand when the wind isn't right for it. I use non scented scent killer type items on my clothes, backpack and boots gets a fresh earth type cover scent, and I use Deer Dander sprayed on the tree I'm in and the leaves around the base of the tree. I am a firm believer in Deer Dander. I very rarely use deer urine, but when I do, it's from Hoosier Trapper Supply. I have had better luck with their scents than any of the big name manufactures', other than Deer Dander.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I am on the fence about scents. I use a 2 person blind that I think limits the amount emitted.

Shot a deer 3 years ago from my favorite spot that has 3 intersecting trails. Have taken several deer there over the years sitting on the ground under a tree. Wind was from the right so faced right. Had a deer approach from down wind and they only spooked when I turned. So faced to the left in the afternoon, had one approach from the right. Next day faced straight ahead and got a good shot. Have taken 3 at that spot facing ahead and not minding the wind.

I am not an expert but don't think it matters much, at least at that spot.

Don

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I am on the fence about scents. I use a 2 person blind that I think limits the amount emitted.

Shot a deer 3 years ago from my favorite spot that has 3 intersecting trails. Have taken several deer there over the years sitting on the ground under a tree. Wind was from the right so faced right. Had a deer approach from down wind and they only spooked when I turned. So faced to the left in the afternoon, had one approach from the right. Next day faced straight ahead and got a good shot. Have taken 3 at that spot facing ahead and not minding the wind.

I am not an expert but don't think it matters much, at least at that spot.

Don
    Its been my experience that mature does and bucks will rarely move with the wind completely at their disadvantage. Most of the older deer I've killed, including my two biggest bucks, were generally quartering into the wind when I killed them. Sometimes the wind does weird things depending on terrain, thermals or heavy cover and I've seen deer take advantage of those situations to scent check areas that would've seemed to be downwind based on the nominal wind direction.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Its been my experience that mature does and bucks will rarely move with the wind completely at their disadvantage. Most of the older deer I've killed, including my two biggest bucks, were generally quartering into the wind when I killed them. Sometimes the wind does weird things depending on terrain, thermals or heavy cover and I've seen deer take advantage of those situations to scent check areas that would've seemed to be downwind based on the nominal wind direction.
    They don't get old bein' dumb.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I now concentrate on lack of scents that deer relate to danger. No fuel or cooking smells ect. More of removing mine than using incense to cover up the smell of weed.

Now my neighbor uses cover scents corn and something called evercalm he does well for himself so maybe try one of those two.
    That's what we attempt to do, knowing full good and well it's impossible to be scent free but doing our best. I believe it's helpful but I also still expect to get picked off if they're down wind.

We started used the Evercalm when it came out and watched deer smell the ground where we walked in having put it on our boots and they never spooked. We used to leave the top off and lay it on the ground at the base of the tree we were hunting and pick it up on the way out. We forgot one evening and that night had pics of a doe eating the Evercalm stick lol. I don't know whats in them but apparently it doesn't just smell good.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I few years ago I got an old 2 door stainless commercial refrigerator that quit working. Stripped out all the mechanical stuff. Lined the inside with cedar planks put a shelf and a clothes rod. Now all of my hunting clothes smell like cedar and I hardly ever use cover scents. It’s also important to hunt the wind.

Top Bottom