• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If ever there was a perfect illustration of the need for a HD weapon and plan, this story from the Indianapolis Star on Jan. 24 shows it. This incident occurred at 11:30 am with the assailant actually looking for homes that were occupied. There would have had a totally different (and much more satisfying) ending if the old man simply had a holstered gun attached to his wheelchair. The story concludes with an IMPD's Lt.'s recommendation for fellow homeowners: Don't answer your door!

Intruder beats, robs elderly couple in Eastside home

Police say man forced his way into home on Eastside; elderly residents hospitalized

A 74-year-old woman and her husband were in Methodist Hospital on Friday after she tried to fight off an intruder who beat and robbed the couple in their Eastside home.
    "I'm just grateful that it's not worse than it was," said Robin Ambegia, daughter of Freda and Louis Blanchard. "They will be OK, and I hope (Mom) is emotionally OK after this."

According to Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department reports, a man knocked on the front door of the Blanchards' home in the 5200 block of East Ninth Street about 11:45 a.m. Freda Blanchard opened the inside door but left the outer door closed. The man forced open the outer door and pushed her into the house, the police report stated.
    Blanchard grabbed the man's sweatshirt, and both fell to the floor. She told police she kicked the man's groin on the way down.
    The man implied that he had a gun and demanded money and jewelry, police said. Blanchard gave him her purse and told the man there was no jewelry in the home. The man began punching her in the face, police said.
    "We don't have any jewelry -- we're simple people," Ambegia, 42, said. "My dad came in to help her; he's in a wheelchair, and (the man) just whaled on him."

Louis Blanchard, 80, has one leg and uses a wheelchair.
    Both victims suffered broken noses. Louis Blanchard had a deep cut over his right eye and swelling so severe that he could not open his left eye. Freda Blanchard suffered swelling to her face and eyes.
    The Blanchards were listed in stable condition at Methodist.
    The man escaped with Freda Blanchard's purse, which contained her identification, credit cards and about $150.

"Mom's feeling really guilty because she answered the door," Ambegia said.
    The attack has shaken the feeling of safety in the neighborhood, said Jeff Stevenson, who lives on the same block as the Blanchards.
    "It's alarming," said Stevenson, 47. "It's really a safe neighborhood. We know our neighbors. Everybody looks out for each other."
    Police searched for fingerprints and other evidence at the scene. Detectives interviewed neighbors, and extra officers were deployed to the area, Lt. Jeff Duhamell said. "This individual may have been targeting some other elderly people in the area," Duhamell said. He urged residents to use caution when someone knocks on their door. "Look before you answer, and if you don't recognize the person, don't answer the door," Duhamell said.
    • Call Star reporter Vic Ryckaert at (317) 444-2761.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Hopefully, they catch the guy soon and he decides to "resist". IMPD has a gentle reminder street policy for those individuals that fail to comply with their requests. Let him ride the lightning for a while....and then some more.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Piece of crap, low-life animals. Prayers sent for the old folks...

As gun enthusiasts, we like to poo-poo "cheap" guns but old folks on a fixed income are perfect candidates for the inexpensive import revolvers that used to be referred to as Saturday Night Specials.

While the import laws may have had the intention of removing cheap, throw-away guns from the street, they also limit the availability to lower-income, honest folks who are forced to live in the areas where they are more likely to be victims of crime.

Again, political good intentions that were poorly thought out with negative results. How about a coupon program for a single home defense firearm like the one the fed govn'ment did a poor job administrating for ATSC settop tuners?

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    cowards

why cant this guys come and try to break in to some ones house that has the means of protection,and the means to inflict the pain right back if need be.i not saying do it on purpose just if need be that way next time they (might) think twice:ar15:

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How about a coupon program for a single home defense firearm like the one the fed govn'ment did a poor job administrating for ATSC settop tuners?

Great idea! Email OHB!

Seriously, this is why I got in the game just recently. I've put together a great, safe plan for upstairs while in bed. I now realize I need another weapon and gameplan for downstairs while watching TV.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I don't understand how someone could beat and elderly person. I just cant even imagine doing something like that. I was raised by my grandparents, and they currently live with me, all I can say is if some tries to pull this on them they picked the wrong house. No children come to the house so my 1911 sits in my nightstand.

It's people like this that have inspired me to become a police officer.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How about a coupon program for a single home defense firearm like the one the fed govn'ment did a poor job administrating for ATSC settop tuners?

Now you're thinkin'!

How about a privately-funded program that takes victims of personal violence, puts a handgun in their homes, and then trains them on how to use it!

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008

that would just cause places to raise the price of the firearm by the value of the coupon like the Converter boxes!

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    Now you're thinkin'!

How about a privately-funded program that takes victims of personal violence, puts a handgun in their homes, and then trains them on how to use it!

Outstanding idea. I'd be willing to contribute to it.
    In the mean time, may this piece of filth make the mistake of breaking into the wrong house and be sent to that special place in hell reserved for those that prey on the weak and infirm, by an armed homeowner.

Engine03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Indy
    Most cases of attacks could be avoided with good neighborhood watch programs and good old watch out for each other. I know I help my elderly neighbors with alot of there security issues. One thing that i discovered is that the older generations trust everyone and as we all know that cant be done

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    That happened in my parents neighborhood... I hate scumbags like this.

Talked to my Dad about this and he said... "Too bad they didn't hit my house.. I need some trigger time".

I love my Pops... he's a crazy mofo. :D

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Now you're thinkin'!

How about get them a gun BEFORE they are victims. We can make it look like a pro abortion organization and Obama will fund it.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    And people think I am off kilter since I answer the door with my .45 in my hand, in fact, there is ALWAYS something within reach. Been through too much to allow something like this to happen to my kids or myself.

Top Bottom