• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    Will the cost of firearms and their related items increase or decrease in coming years?

We are facing years of hyperinflation with the way Feds keep pumping out the worthless currencies. Will the cost of firearms follow the suit?

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    What he said

EVERYTHING will get more expensive.

Is it just me, but it seems like the price of firearms listed here on INGO Classified are dropping. Is it possible that with the economy the way it is, many gun owners are selling their firearms at discount to augment their income? Which leads me to believe that the firearm prices will be lower in coming years as the economy worsens. Just wondering ...

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Seems to me that if the value of our dollar continues to decrease at such a rapid pace then the cost of everything we purchase will continue to rise. Not because the items are getting more expensive but because our currency is losing value.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Is it just me, but it seems like the price of firearms listed here on INGO Classified are dropping. Is it possible that with the economy the way it is, many gun owners are selling their firearms at discount to augment their income? Which leads me to believe that the firearm prices will be lower in coming years as the economy worsens. Just wondering ...

when I said EVERYTHING I literally meant everything from the cost of apples to to cost of Zebra Cakes. not because their intrinsic value has increased but because as has already been stated the dollar is less valuable against international currencies and just doesn't go as far.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If you check the prices of the various metals, we are in for a huge increase in the price of ammo. Copper has skyrocketed even more!

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    It's been said a few different ways but hyper inflation is the real killer but we are not there yet.

The current conditions are more like supply and demand. Demand for firearms would seem high (and I believe they are) and supply is strong, but when disposable income is low (or non existent for many) it drives down the selling price to some degree.

The flip side is when people sell firearms to eat or pay the rent which also drives down the price. Good deals are to be found but don't expect miracles, especially at the uppity gun shops. They make bigger profits when the level of fear among the non-gun owner population goes up. Fear or Sex will make you spend money. You know it's true. :D

I don't think rapid inflation will jack up the price of guns all that much. Some kind of pre-SHTF or whacked out gun control being rammed down our throats would likely double the value overnight. It somewhat happened when Obummer got traction in 2008.

An SKS went from 199.00 to 399.00, etc.

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    It's been said a few different ways but hyper inflation is the real killer but we are not there yet.

The current conditions are more like supply and demand. Demand for firearms would seem high (and I believe they are) and supply is strong, but when disposable income is low (or non existent for many) it drives down the selling price to some degree.

The flip side is when people sell firearms to eat or pay the rent which also drives down the price. Good deals are to be found but don't expect miracles, especially at the uppity gun shops. They make bigger profits when the level of fear among the non-gun owner population goes up. Fear or Sex will make you spend money. You know it's true. :D

I don't think rapid inflation will jack up the price of guns all that much. Some kind of pre-SHTF or whacked out gun control being rammed down our throats would likely double the value overnight. It somewhat happened when Obummer got traction in 2008.

An SKS went from 199.00 to 399.00, etc.

It is sad, but I feel many gun owners probably would sell their firearms if they are squeezed financially. As the economy halts to a crawl, I regret to say it, but the misery of economic hardships will drive the prices further down.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    It is sad, but I feel many gun owners probably would sell their firearms if they are squeezed financially. As the economy halts to a crawl, I regret to say it, but the misery of economic hardships will drive the prices further down.

I believe you are correct. I would sale some of my guns to pay bills. But I would never sale them all. They are tools that have a use. And while I hope I never NEED them I want to have them just the same. It's why you have a spare tire for your vehicle just in case.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm thinking the price for both firearms and ammo will increase to the point of saturation (sales slow down) then the price will simply level off. I don't think the price will go back to near pre Obama scare run on guns and ammo.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I view it like this...increase the cost of ammo and/or firearms I wish to "purchase", then I decrease buying things the government wants me to buy like cars, TV's, furniture, fast food, cable, internet, and all the crap we really don't need. What do you thing will hurt more.... me saving and buying a case (1k rounds) of .223, or the government loosing precious tax dollars on me not buying their crap? Inflation sucks, and it will get to the point where a gallon of milk costs you $50 dollars. Firearms transactions privately will be the "new" currency as it will be the only thing of value other than food/clothing/shelter. -This of course is all Mad Max beyond thunderdome hype fyi =)

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    only if its a pre 82 all the newer pennies are copper plated zinc worth about 1/2 cent

I think some guns will hold valve better than others

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Why would anyone not already have many many guns and even more ammo? If the price of both go sky high, I'm ok, sure, there will be guns I want, but won't NEED. I know this is blasphemy to some of you.;)

Another thing to remember, there will always be those people who are desperate for cash, looking to sell stuff at rock bottom prices.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    If you follow the markets and business news, it has been very interesting the last few years in regards to pricing. Everybody has seen commodity prices go up for oil, metals, soft commodities (foodstuffs, cotton, etc), but with consumer sentiment so low, companies have essentially not been passing down the additional costs to consumers as much as they have in the past during similar events. This in turn hurts their margins, but they feel this is a better trade off than pricing their products out of the market. Therefore, consumers see high commodity prices, but disproportionately smaller increases in the good they buy every day. Since the standard measurement of inflation, The "Consumer" Price Index, is based upon the prices of consumer goods, one could argue that the few percent inflation we have seen stated the last year is understating the actual inflation being experienced by those higher up in the production cycle.

What will be interesting to see in the near future is if companies start raising prices more in line with commodity prices and if so, when? How quickly? Either way, I can pretty much guarantee you everything will be pricier in the future, it is just a matter of at what rate it increases and how quickly it does.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i had an interesting discussion with my Econ professor who holds a Ph.D. in economics and he had quite an interesting insight which simply boiled down to supply and demand. with the great level of uncertainty in most aspects of daily life and the slight chance of some sort of SHTF scenario looming, the demand from buyers (sportsmen, recreational shooters, preppers etc) will remeain high. look at recent studies that show FBI backround checks from march of 2008 to 2009 going up dramatically which proves the demand is sky high. thus, with the demand being up so high, sellers of firearms can dictate the price the wish to sell (however inflated in may be in some peoples eyes). there are several other factors that also affect the price such as labor and material prices but IMO i feel the demand is the largest factor.
    andy thoughts or comments?

Top Bottom