Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    5 years ago....Mosin Nagants =$80-90
    AK47=$350
    SKS=$100-150
    ....I distinctly remember getting my hands on a deal at the 1500 in 2003 TWO Colt 1911's for $800......yeah, I wish prices would go back to normal

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Realistically, during inflationary times, very few things become more expensive. What happens is that the value of the money used to buy it drops, making everything cost more. But most things will remain similarly valued in relation to each other. Thinking in terms of items getting more expensive puts the blame on the wrong part of the economic machine.

Think of it like this: I own a small store in the country and I sell a brick of 22lr for either $15 or one bushel of peaches. During inflation, my price would change in terms of dollars, but not in terms of peaches. I might charge $30 for a brick of 22lr, but it would still trade for a bushel of peaches. Inflation has been with us largely since the Fed was created in 1913. Around that time, both a $20 bill and a $20 gold piece would buy you a nice suit that was tailored to fit. Now, that $20 gold piece (about $1800 today) will still buy you a nice suit that is tailored to fit, but the $20 bill will be hard pressed to buy a decent tie. The real value of the gold in relation to other assets did not change, but the value of the dollar sure did.

The same can be said for other assets. If you had a spare $1000 today and you just stuck it under your matress, it's value will continue to dwindle until it's not going to buy so much as a good dinner. But, if you put the money into hard assets, it's value should be as stable as the asset bought. Gold has been a popular asset because it's easily exchanged but the same principle applies to other assets to some degree. If you put that $1000 into a good rifle, it might hold it's value far better than the actual money used to buy it.

Inflation does not make things more expensive, it just makes them cost more...

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Just wait until we print the money we need to pay our debts. It will take a wheelbarrow full of $100 bills to buy a pot roast. Then comes the Amero....Seriously people, gold will hit $5000 and keep right on going. I will NEVER sell another gun as long as I live. I have never parted with one and felt the same warm fuzzy as when I hold it in my hands. I have regretted it every time I have ever parted with one. I wouldn't even trade one for food, just seems silly to me to trade a gun for a bit of food. When the food is gone you will then be left with no food AND no means to get food.

gunduffer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    SE INDY
    In 2009 when Obama took office, I think their was a fear firearms maybe harder to buy, as well as ammo, so their was a rush. Now things are settling down, as well as people needing money. Remember when you couldn't find 380 anywhere. Now its back on the walmart shelves and online in plenty>

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    In 2009 when Obama took office, I think their was a fear firearms maybe harder to buy, as well as ammo, so their was a rush. Now things are settling down, as well as people needing money. Remember when you couldn't find 380 anywhere. Now its back on the walmart shelves and online in plenty>

At twice the cost ;)

Top Bottom