• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Maybe they've changed from year's past, but the last time I was in there, the prices were high (some over MSRP) and they acted like I was from Mars (not in a friendly way either). I vowed to not go back and remain happy with that decision.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well I can be the neutral voice between the previous two posts. I thought their selection was good, didn't notice any great or ridiculous prices, and got standard gun-shop insight.

The guy who talked to me was not quick to come talk to me, which is a plus in my book. I have friends, I go to a gun shop to look at guns. If I desire to chit chat about a particular item, I will start the conversation, so I don't see any real value in a gun shop that is super chatty. I know many people here look for exactly that trait, but I prefer to gun-ogle in peace. Having said that, the guy wasn't rude, and he did come talk to me when he got through with his other customer, and when I informed him I was just browsing, he said "just let me know if I can help". Perfect scenario to me.

Personally, I am always hesitant to believe anything I hear in a gun shop (the same way I am hesitant at a car lot, etc) and by having low expectations I am rarely disappointed.

I wouldn't discourage someone from visiting Cosner's, and they do have quite a bit for being a dedicated gun store (not a big-box).

protongun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    I didnt like the fact they had KKK sign/plaque on the back wall, maybe it was just a collectable but still..... get that trash outta there

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Very nice selection, very knowledgeable, reasonable prices

You have too admit, they do have a nice selection!

Even if you don't like'em, they do know their $hit!

Prices...........I did say reasonable, but that was after being in Gander Mountian the same day and seeing a $1900.00 Bushmaster that to me looked pretty standard.

So maybe "reasonable" was to lenient of a description, but in comparison, "not too bad" may have said it better?
    They are NOT a discount house that is for sure!
    :D

The KKK thing, never saw it?
    But in Bedford...........HELL they could be a chapter office?

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    They have a lot of guns. I'm not denying that, but so do other shops that don't treat me like crap and they have better prices. I choose to give them my business.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've been in Cosner's several times over the last 10 years and every time walked out the door telling myself I'd never go back in there again if I had to drive all the way to Indianapolis to get what I wanted.

Every time I've been in there he has acted like he was just voted prom queen the night before and you owed him a kiss for just letting you look.

There's plenty of competition in the Bedford area now, he's the one that is going to be kissing something.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    higher prices for sure, I was down looking for a new XD and there about $80-100 more than b-town prices. and if they tell you they can't get something for you double check with the manf. in my case they are a dealer for a gun company and told me that there was no way they could get me a gun, so I called the company they proceeded to reem them and long story short my gun is on order.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Today I found myself in the Bedford area with an hour or so to kill and I wanted to look at some guns. I dropped in on Cosners for the first time in about four years and I was shocked that the owner actually greeted me friendly and invited me behind the counter to look at whatever I like since I indicated I was merely browsing.

They have more reloading supplies than I remember, though not much in the way of bullets, they do have primers and powder. They also have a few odds and ends for reloading like media, storage and dies. Prices on most stuff was higher than I'd like to see, the pistols being the most overpriced, but the rest was not as out of line as I remembered from years past (maybe everyone else has caught up with Cosner). The selection of guns was good as it always has been, even black rifles and loads of leverguns.

I ended up buying a brick of primers, just to reward someone for carrying them ($30) and some PMC .223 ammo ($7.99/box), oh and a gun rug. The prices were a little high, but I didn't walk funny as I was leaving the shop.

I might have to begrudgingly recommend this shop especially if you are having trouble finding something.

I'll still buy my guns elsewhere unless I just HAVE to have something.

Last edited:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    They had Remington, Winchester and CCI. They had small/large pistol and large rifle. They didn't have all brands in all sizes (only Remington & Winchester in LP). He had a note that he was getting more in, though I don't know what brand or size.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have always liked Cosners, they have always had a really decent selection of stuff on their shelves & in their racks, but they have to keep their prices on the high side in order for them to keep their shelves & racks stocked like that.

So it's always been worth paying a little more in order to have that sort of selection of stuff, but then again that's just my opinion.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Cosners

I will never shop at this jerk's place again. I tried to trade him a rifle that books for $800. He said he would give me $550. All the while he had junk AKs for $750. I told him why would I trade it for that when you are going to slap back on the wall for $900. He then replied that he doesn't operate at those percentages. I know you have to make money. We all do. But you don't have to be a crook about it. I was more than willing to eat a loss on the gun, but I'm not going to get screwed. The way I look at it, if he would have gave me a fair deal he would have made money off my gun plus whatever his was. It may have not been his percentage, but it would have been better than nothing. Please correct if I'm wrong.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    You never get value trading a gun in... just the way it is.

I expect 75% of resell. So $800 x .75 = $600 so he was not too far off.

His prices are higher than MC Sports, but he is a small shop so that is the way of things if he is going to survive.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I expect 75% of resell. So $800 x .75 = $600 so he was not too far off.

His prices are higher than MC Sports, but he is a small shop so that is the way of things if he is going to survive.

Agree to disagree. He had a new Mini-30 for $971! That is pure overpriced nonsense. I went home and traded the gun for $700. That is where I do all my business now. And $900 x .75 is $675. There was no way I was going to take a $150 loss. And no you don't always loose money when you make a trade, look at all the ARs that were bought 5 years ago for $600 and now are trading for over a $1000. I try to only deal with honest people. I went to the gunshop right up the street from him and asked their opinion of him. Needless to say I can't really repeat what they said on here. I will definitely go do business with those gentlemen again. He just left me with a sour taste in my mouth that. Heck, he may be a nice gentlemen for all I know, but he came off very smug the past two times I visited. I just know I will never step foot in there again.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    FWIW, asking a competitor what they think of Cosner's isn't very damning evidence. A gentleman wouldn't have spoken poorly of him, and would have avoided doing so. I am not trying to be high and mighty, I've said bad things about Cosner's too, but within my profession I try to be polite and leave the others be.

"Value" is a very transient thing, and perhaps you and Cosner are using different sources to determine value. Again, not saying he didn't screw you, just saying there may be more than one way to look at it.

Top Bottom