Merrillville
    119906362_10207713482710985_5124272217745116574_n.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We well and thoroughly flattened the curve. Our mistake was not asking "what then"?

Our biggest mistake is allowing governors to have 'emergency powers', the edicts of which never have to be taken before the people's representatives after a reasonable length of time for extension of that authority

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Thanksgiving and Christmas are cancelled... you heard it here first.

(They try every year WITHOUT covid, this is a bonus for them.)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Our biggest mistake is allowing governors to have 'emergency powers', the edicts of which never have to be taken before the people's representatives after a reasonable length of time for extension of that authority

That mistake was made decades ago.

Truthfully, I don't believe emergency powers in and of themselves are a mistake. However, there should have been strict time limits and affirmative votes by the legislature to continue them rather than, as in Indiana, where the legislature can vote to end them.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Truthfully, I don't believe emergency powers in and of themselves are a mistake. However, there should have been strict time limits and affirmative votes by the legislature to continue them rather than, as in Indiana, where the legislature can vote to end them.

Agreed. I just don't know how/why we got here. Only 7 states require the governor to seek extension of emergency powers after a set time limit and an additional 2 states require prior legislative approval of emergency decrees. That is less than 20% of all states

I'm in favor of giving the governor the ability to act quickly in an emergency, but would rather what constitutes an emergency be tightly defined and that it be acknowledged that after, say, 28 days you no longer have an emergency but rather an ongoing situation the response to which should be legislatively based. I fail to see the sense in reining in the federal government, only to allow tyranny on the next rung down

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Emergency powers should have a limited scope and a clear endpoint. We're way past any definition of "emergency".

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Emergency powers should have a limited scope and a clear endpoint. We're way past any definition of "emergency".

Agreed completely!

Cannot seem to find an updated answer but WHO was close to having to stop calling it a pandemic as it was no longer meeting the thresholds to continue calling it one. They do not seem to want to tell us this is at least slowing way down. Don't want to give up emergency powers...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom