May 26, 2018
    North Central

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We're sorry, but this page is temporarily down.

Can we help you find something else?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/02/stu...-mask-associated-with-psychopathy-traits.html
    Sociopathic traits linked to not wearing a mask or social distancing during pandemic: study

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886920305377
    Compliance with containment measures to the COVID-19 pandemic over time: Do antisocial traits matter?

Reinforces the idea that if you won't 'listen to the experts' it is not because you are an independent thinker, it is because you must be mentally ill. This attitude is not difficult to find even here on INGO. It starts with the assumption that your distillation of the facts is superior to those of others who are skeptical of some of those facts - because you 'listen to the experts' who coincidently are given expert status by your own selection

Not aimed at any particular 'you', especially not jamil

Last edited:

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/02/stu...-mask-associated-with-psychopathy-traits.html
    Sociopathic traits linked to not wearing a mask or social distancing during pandemic: study

Compliance with containment measures to the COVID-19 pandemic over time: Do antisocial traits matter?

Reinforces the idea that if you won't 'listen to the experts' it is not because you are an independent thinker, it is because you must be mentally ill. This attitude is not difficult to find even here on INGO. It starts with the assumption that your distillation of the facts is superior to those of others who are skeptical of some of those facts - because you 'listen to the experts' who coincidently are given expert status by your own selection

HEY! I resemble that remark! This just confirms that I am an expert! Now all I need to do is figure out what I am an expert at (without my wife's input). :n00b:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I watched a little of the Tour de France and a lot of the spectators were wearing masks. I didn't do any quantifying but I'd guess over half were. Even out on the country roads where the spectators are sparse and spread out there were a few wearing masks in places I sure wouldn't.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It's just marginalizing the other. I think the most obvious problem with study results is not the results themselves. It's just establishing a correlation which does not imply cause. But the people reporting the results are reporting it as if it does imply cause. Okay, so let's talk about the logic behind the study and what it actually shows. Sociopaths are indifferent to the suffering of others. We all know what that means. It stands to reason that even if sociopaths believe that not wearing masks harm other people, they would not care. So fine. Sociopaths don't wear masks and they don't wear them mostly because they don't care whether or not it may harm others. This concept is practically a truism, something that is self-evident, and does not need a study to prove. We could already predict with great accuracy that socioopaths would not wear masks even if they thought it was harming other people.

That begs the question, is everyone who doesn't wear a mask a sociopath? Well, the **********s who report on the results obviously are making that logical leap. But could it be that there is more than one reason not to wear a mask? Hmmm? It looks to me like the people who are reporting on this [STRIKE]self-evident[/STRIKE] shocking finding, think that the relationship has a logical necessity, which is to say that sociopathy implies not wearing masks and not wearing masks implies sociopathy. So in other words, there is only one reason not to wear masks and that is that you're a sociopath. Is that true? Is there only one reason not to wear a mask?

At most this is a logical sufficiency. That is to say, that sociopathy implies not wearing a mask, but not wearing a mask does not imply sociopathy. The key question to determine this is, what do people who don't want to wear masks believe about wearing masks? One only needs to read this and the mask thread to know that answer. It's not for the lack of caring about the well-being of others. They don't believe they work, and they believe that mandating them is evidence that it's about conformity for the sake of conformity. A sociopath simply wouldn't care either way.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's just marginalizing the other. I think the most obvious problem with study results is not the results themselves. It's just establishing a correlation which does not imply cause. But the people reporting the results are reporting it as if it does imply cause. Okay, so let's talk about the logic behind the study and what it actually shows. Sociopaths are indifferent to the suffering of others. We all know what that means. It stands to reason that even if sociopaths believe that not wearing masks harm other people, they would not care. So fine. Sociopaths don't wear masks and they don't wear them mostly because they don't care whether or not it may harm others. This concept is practically a truism, something that is self-evident, and does not need a study to prove. We could already predict with great accuracy that socioopaths would not wear masks even if they thought it was harming other people.

That begs the question, is everyone who doesn't wear a mask a sociopath? Well, the **********s who report on the results obviously are making that logical leap. But could it be that there is more than one reason not to wear a mask? Hmmm? It looks to me like the people who are reporting on this [STRIKE]self-evident[/STRIKE] shocking finding, think that the relationship has a logical necessity, which is to say that sociopathy implies not wearing masks and not wearing masks implies sociopathy. So in other words, there is only one reason not to wear masks and that is that you're a sociopath. Is that true? Is there only one reason not to wear a mask?

At most this is a logical sufficiency. That is to say, that sociopathy implies not wearing a mask, but not wearing a mask does not imply sociopathy. The key question to determine this is, what do people who don't want to wear masks believe about wearing masks? One only needs to read this and the mask thread to know that answer. It's not for the lack of caring about the well-being of others. They don't believe they work, and they believe that mandating them is evidence that it's about conformity for the sake of conformity. A sociopath simply wouldn't care either way.

So, to boil it down a bit, sociopaths are a proper subset of people who don't wish to wear masks?

I would go further than you do in your assumptions. I believe the article is yet another attempt to shame people into wearing masks, and it would most likely not be aimed at sociopaths because their very nature does not lend itself to vulnerability to shaming

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Paging Mr Houghmade and Mr Sheepdog4life, pick up the white courtesy phone, please

tenor.gif

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Paging Mr Houghmade and Mr Sheepdog4life, pick up the white courtesy phone, please

I am definitely hoping that Sweden's experiment is successful... that they've achieved a steady low rate of infections that will not spike back up due to a level of immunity that retards spread at a low R0. It is looking very promising, but only time will tell for sure.

For the time being, their per capita fatality rate is 5-10x their comparable neighbors (Norway, Denmark, Finland), who in the end, may likely catch up, just later rather than sooner if effective treatments and/or vaccine remain unavailable.

And, as for "doing Sweden" here in the US, as I've pointed out before and met with crickets, US health demographics are much worse than Sweden's. Our obesity and diabetes rates are 2-3x Sweden's, and we should,nominally, expect a 2-3x per capita death rate due to those comorbidities if we followed in Sweden's path. I do believe that NY/NYC proved that for us.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Hey, we had baking powder frogmen when I was a kid.

[video=youtube_share;t7Di8gk6hP0]http://youtu.be/t7Di8gk6hP0[/video]

Holy cow! Those look cool!

Never saw them before, though they were at least a decade before my time... wish they had been around.

I got my start on alka seltzer rockets... eventually graduating to Estes model rockets.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah. Mail order in those days was cool.

I sent a letter to Alcoa asking them to send me a sample of bauxite and alumina for a class show and tell. They sent me bauxite, alumina, a sheet of aluminum and a bunch of literature.

And then there were mail order bb guns..... :)

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Yeah. Mail order in those days was cool.

I sent a letter to Alcoa asking them to send me a sample of bauxite and alumina for a class show and tell. They sent me bauxite, alumina, a sheet of aluminum and a bunch of literature.

And then there were mail order bb guns..... :)

I was so young when I got my BB gun, I just always remember having it... wore that puppy out!

My pump pellet gun and CO2 pistol... lawn mowing money and the local Western Auto.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom