• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Remember a few weeks ago when we were told the big motorcycle rally in Sturgis was going to lead to a super spreader type event?

Yeah, about that.

Sturgis mass testing results announced

The City of Sturgis conducted mass COVID testing for its citizens after welcoming hundreds of thousands of visitors for the 80th annual Motorcycle Rally. Now, the city is announcing the results.

A total of 650 people took advantage of the free testing, with 26 people testing positive for COVID-19.

All of them were asymptomatic at the time of testing.

Sturgis city manager Daniel Ainslie says the rate of confirmed cases is lower than what many people anticipated.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Shoot. I missed 3 weeks of class going to Oahu and Maui with my grandparents. Ended up dropping from 1st to 3rd in my class because I didn't do any of the homework I was supposed to do when given permission to go by the principal. And no I am not bragging...remember that I went to high school in WV.

My goal was to miss as much of my senior year ('88-'89) as possible.

...and I guess i get it that the kids are missing things, but how long are we going to whine about the same things? Time to come up with some creative ways to make memories that, while different, wil be be good ones.

...or we could just encourage our kids to wallow in self-pity.

Example- while I would never have wished this Covid craziness on anyone, my family took the lemons and made some lemonade. My college aged daughter would have been away all summer doing her thing. My older son would have been working hard with no time to vacation with the family. We used the situation to take a week-long vacation in a rented cabin at Mammoth Cave. It will probably be the last vacation we take with all 4 kids as the grow up and move on. Would have prefered no pandemic, but since I can't change that, I might as well find some ways to use these unique times to my advantage.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Ok. so has he drained half the swamp? He ran on draining the swamp...how successful has he been based on empirical data?
    If your mechanic cannot replace the engine in your car in 4 hours, why give him 8 hours?

Because some things take time.

Whenever the whole term limits discussion comes up I like to point out that if we do that, the only people in DC with 25 years experience, influence, and connections would be government employees and lobbyists. The process of building a new culture in a government agency would take years, no one walks in and declares the culture changed.

No one builds a castle in the swamp without a lot of work...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Shoot. I missed 3 weeks of class going to Oahu and Maui with my grandparents. Ended up dropping from 1st to 3rd in my class because I didn't do any of the homework I was supposed to do when given permission to go by the principal. And no I am not bragging...remember that I went to high school in WV.

West Virginia? Still.... 3rd ain't bad in a graduating class of 2. :)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The greatest hoax in world history

Pretty sure the moon landing still holds that record.

Of course, for this to be a hoax, there needs to be a hoaxer and intent to dupe.

With the coronavirus, it's more like just widespread panic, that we can agree that we (as a society) got carried away with.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Ok. so has he drained half the swamp? He ran on draining the swamp...how successful has he been based on empirical data?

My opinion is he has done a good job but it took most of the first term to get some traction. A second term will give him an opportunity to change the culture for good...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This week the CDC quietly updated the Covid number to admit that only 6% of all the 153,504 deaths recorded actually died from Covid
    That’s 9,210 deaths
    The other 94% had 2-3 other serious illnesses & the overwhelming majority were of very advanced age”https://t.co/WEZxsfcnhWpic.twitter.com/e2jPEgit1o

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...s-died-covid-19-alone-rest-serious-illnesses/

Reaching that conclusion from that information is....incorrect.

That a person had multiple issues that contributed to death does not mean that COVID was not a cause of death or that they would have died at the time they did if they did not have COVID.

It’s like saying that when a person has a heart attack and they also have chronic heart failure that contributed to their demise after the heart attack, since they had preexisting heart failure (which people can live with for years) they did not die from the heart attack. Incorrect. They both contributed, but the person would not have died at that time but-for the heart attack.

Oh, and this ignores every negative COVID outcome except death, and there are several.

It is the viral “downplay COVID” post of the day. I’ve seen it everywhere.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Reaching that conclusion from that information is....incorrect.

That a person had multiple issues that contributed to death does not mean that COVID was not a cause of death or that they would have died at the time they did if they did not have COVID.

It’s like saying that when a person has a heart attack and they also have chronic heart failure that contributed to their demise after the heart attack, since they had preexisting heart failure (which people can live with for years) they did not die from the heart attack. Incorrect. They both contributed, but the person would not have died at that time but-for the heart attack.

Oh, and this ignores every negative COVID outcome except death, and there are several.

It is the viral “downplay COVID” post of the day. I’ve seen it everywhere.

Now do the viral "hype WuVid" posts. You know how much you hear about abnormal blood clotting and stroke associated with the hype of the disease? Guess how many actual postmortems have found that in deceased confirmed sufferers. Ten :rolleyes:

And that was the largest study of it's kind in the UK. All the rest is anecdotal stories and the drumbeat of how bad this disease is/will be. The disease itself is likely a higher lethality version of the flu. Don't think about ordinary A or B influenza as a comparison, remember this is 'novel' - no prior exposure or immunity. Think more of 1918 or 1957. Then think of the physical condition of the populace in those days relative to today. How many people lived into their eighties in 1918 or 1957? The life expectancy for men in the US in 1918 was 36.6, for women 42.2. In 1957 it was 66.4 for men and 72.7 for women

When this all shakes out, I expect the IFR and CFR to be of the same order of magnitude as the influenza with a somewhat higher death rate than recent influenza spikes for the very old

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Here is where a retrospective, objective analysis of excess mortality might be beneficial. The problem is, I don't trust much of anyone to perform that objective analysis.

As for flu deaths: hasn't it already been established that they are, more or less, only ever "estimated", based on such factors as pneumonia deaths in given age groups in a given year? (Also, that's another complicating factor for excess mortality analysis.)

I agree with all of that, Chip. Just to remind folks, the quoted Gateway Pundit headline (with my highlighting):

This week the CDC quietly updated the Covid number to admit that only 6% of all the 153,504 deaths recorded actually died from Covid

The explicit implication of this sentence is that 94% of those reported deaths DIED FROM SOMETHING OTHER THAN COVID.

In fact just the opposite. It is media BS and fearmongering that healthy people are dropping like flies that this is showing not to be true.

Mike, not sure where you are seeing that... since very early on, March, early April at the latest it's been all over the place that the elderly and those with existing health conditions (obesity, diabetes, high bp, heart issues) are the majority of the fatalities by far. In fact, early on, the media was over-playing that the youngsters had absolutely nothing to worry about... which led to spring break parties, etc.

Besides, that is not what the Gateway Pundit article you quoted was about... see above.

The CDC is never going to say that, but they do provide stats that others can calculate and tell you the CDC numbers say this...

Again, not sure where you're getting your information from, but this has been widely published since April. I recall debating this a long long time ago, back in the spring, that 30+ % of Americans are obese.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    From the NYT of all potential sources.

According to The New York Times, potentially 90 percent of those who have tested positive for COVID-19 have such insignificant amounts of the virus present in their bodies that such individuals do not need to isolate nor are they candidates for contact tracing. Leading public health experts are now concerned that overtesting is responsible for misdiagnosing a huge number of people with harmless amounts of the virus in their systems.

"Most of these people are not likely to be contagious, and identifying them may contribute to bottlenecks that prevent those who are contagious from being found in time," warns The Times.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/brons...ovid-tests-should-have-been-negative-n2575305

Wait, this sounds suspiciously like they're saying we're testing too much... implying we should test less... hmmm... where have we heard that before. Lol!

Funny how the MSM and Democrats demanded testing at will... and once we got it, they decided that wasn't a great idea. Dumbasses!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Here is where a retrospective, objective analysis of excess mortality might be beneficial. The problem is, I don't trust much of anyone to perform that objective analysis.

As for flu deaths: hasn't it already been established that they are, more or less, only ever "estimated", based on such factors as pneumonia deaths in given age groups in a given year? (Also, that's another complicating factor for excess mortality analysis.)
    Agreed. Everyone has a reason to lie. I don’t trust anyone to be objective. Ulterior motives abound.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    One of the few reporting the what is really going on. I learned of the situations more than 2 years ago that are just now resulting in pleas and charges now.

As for the comments on the responsibility of Trump, it was his economic plans I commented on, not the virus in any way. There is a well documented body of research the indicates a correlation to death and unemployment so it stands to reason that
    Lower death rates follow low unemployment...
    How do you know that they’re not full of ****?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    How do you know that they’re not full of ****?

Assuming you are replying to the first paragraph, I do not know, however, what they said was possible several years ago has come to fruition so I give them more creedance today. I take a long view of media sources, and do not let the current spin change the fact that most of this high level highjinks takes years for the legal system to uncover and make official. And just because it does not come to fruition, think Clinton Foundation, does not mean they are incorrect. Just another peice of data to add to your personal calculations...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Wait, this sounds suspiciously like they're saying we're testing too much... implying we should test less... hmmm... where have we heard that before. Lol!

Funny how the MSM and Democrats demanded testing at will... and once we got it, they decided that wasn't a great idea. Dumbasses!

I understood it to me am that they are chasing ghosts, folks that tested positive for minute amounts and not focusing on the real spreaders. There are recent reports that most do not spread most C-19 and the small percentage super spreaders account for 80% of the spread. It seems to dovetail nicely...

We have this in our heads that all C-19 positives spread equally and they are saying that is not true...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Conservatives 2009: Obama wants death panels so old people and sick people won’t get healthcare.

Conservatives 2020: COVID-19 only kills old people and sick people, so what’s the big deal?

...it pains me that this is what many people on my side of the political spectrum have become.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom