SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    942940C8-84C4-4598-AD56-16109B6B96C7_jpe-1297747.jpeg

Picture of the check-out line, this morning at a Costco in Silver Lake, WA. Sold out of TP and bottled water within one hour of opening.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods

Why the Flu is a bigger threat to the US

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...is-a-bigger-threat-to-the-us-than-coronavirus

."
    Despite repeated statements from the CDC declaring the general risk to the American public to be low, fear in the U.S. has spread across social media."

"More than 8,000 people in the U.S. have died from the flu this season, which peaks between December and February, according to CDC

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    [FONT=&quot]So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. That's much higher than the death rate linked to flu, which is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times. [/FONT]

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    gLhBkR3.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    USPS worker tests positive in Washington State.

FEDERAL WAY, Wash. — KIRO 7 found out Saturday evening that a Seattle area U.S. Postal Service employee tested positive for the coronavirus.

A corporate communications spokesperson said that the employee works at a Seattle Network Distribution Center located in Federal Way.

“The Network Distribution Center does not handle letter mail - only parcels. No mail is delivered from the facility. It is sorted and transported to individual post offices, from which the parcels are delivered to customers. The employee in question works within the facility. The employee would have some contact with other employees in the work environment.”

https://www-kiro7-com.cdn.ampprojec...itive-coronavirus/XLKCBEXO5FFJ3DRQSBHNACPW2M/

I did mention a few days ago any package I received I sprayed with a surface sanitizer.
    This will probably become more common as it spreads. You need to observe every possible source. Everything you come in contact with,and limit surface contacts especially in public.
    OVERNIGHT SUMMARY: - 566 cases in Italy (50% jump) - 38 new cases in Germany (50% jump) - 12 new cases in the UK (50%) - 30 new cases in France (30%) - First cases in Scotland, Czech Republic & Dominican Republic

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Has anyone figured out why China, South Korea, and Italy went so far as to shut down cities and lock down citizens to spread this false narrative to bring down Trump? I know they don't like the guy, but who'd have thought they'd go to such extremes.
    C’mon man. The political subform is where you make partisan bull**** comments like that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's fake news. The entire world is in on this so called "Pandemic" conspiracy to make Trump look bad. He says it's fake and that's good enough for me.

Maybe you could post the full text or video where Trump called it fake. Over in the political subform.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    [FONT=&amp]So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. That's much higher than the death rate linked to flu, which is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times. [/FONT]

Sooo, what you are saying is that with the flu, I have a 99.9% of survival and with the Kung Flu, I have a 97.7% of survival? Oh the horror!!! In reality, I have a MUCH greater chance of dying from Influenza A/B because we are currently surrounded by the virus, it's everywhere. Then again, wash your hands, stop fiddle farting with your face, and cover your mouth and you will have a 100% survival rate ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sooo, what you are saying is that with the flu, I have a 99.9% of survival and with the Kung Flu, I have a 97.7% of survival? Oh the horror!!! In reality, I have a MUCH greater chance of dying from Influenza A/B because we are currently surrounded by the virus, it's everywhere.
    In the practical estimation for “survival”, we can’t forget the likelihood of getting either, and then applying the survival rate on top of that.

What’s the probability of getting the flu compared with catching covid19? I’m not too worried about catching that. I’m not even all that worried about catching the flu. But it’s way less likely that I’ll catch covid19 than the flu. It’s way less likely then, that I would die from the flu. But, I’ll prolly have to go to the store and stick up on some stuff before all the shelves are wiped out by :runaway:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    In the practical estimation for “survival”, we can’t forget the likelihood of getting either, and then applying the survival rate on top of that.

What’s the probability of getting the flu compared with catching covid19? I’m not too worried about catching that. I’m not even all that worried about catching the flu. But it’s way less likely that I’ll catch covid19 than the flu. It’s way less likely then, that I would die from the flu. But, I’ll prolly have to go to the store and stick up on some stuff before all the shelves are wiped out by :runaway:
    I believe you have just hit on the reason this thread has 1600 posts and we’re going back and forth like this:
    R0 of the flu is 1.3-1.6
    R0 of Covid19 is 2.3-3.7, maybe higher, with a lot of unknowns as far as it’s cycle coming around again and it’s life span on inanimate objects, etc.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I’m more concerned about a pandemic panic.

This right here.

I was reading this morning the governor of Washington state was thinking of calling up the National Guard. Really? Are we really there? I guess I am just not ready to lose my **** just yet.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I am going to ask to if you can explain your thought process as to why it sounds either unlikely and insane.
    I would like to understand this view point more clearly.So can you please explain you as an individual thoughts on why it is unlikely and or insane?

I see it as the next logical step.

Given that 10% of the global population are still locked in their homes in China.

The Chinese follow instructions, for better or worse. IF they don't their police won't hesitate to take immediate physical action. Not really similar to the US at all.
    Given Italy has 14 cities under quarantine.
    Given cities in Singapore,South Korea and even Germany have been quarantined.

I honestly don't know how those are going. In general those societies are densely populated. "Northern California" is diverse, variable population and includes rural areas that aren't quarantinable for all practical purposes.

It's also not going to stop this virus to attempt to enact quarantines like that. It's going to create civil unrest.

We do need to slow the virus for the sake of allowing healthcare to stay caught up with those that get the most ill; I've said that several times. If I'm in an area requested to self-quarantine, I'll cooperate. But there's not much of the US where you can actually enforce a quarantine over an entire region.

If a region shows a rapidly-growing infection rate, a more practical option is to close schools, close airports, and ask people to stay home if possible. That will slow the spread and be more tolerated.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I understand why the disease has caused such panic in China now.
    American College of Cardiology.
    ACC Clinical BulletinCardiac Implicationsof Novel Coronavirus(COVID-19)
    https://www.acc.org/~/media/665AFA1E710B4B3293138D14BE8D1213.pdf

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190131084238.htm

In short. 48% of Americans have a 10.4% chance of death if they catch covid-19.

I am not using fear,panic,or unreliable sources.The first is a health bulletin sent out.

If you read it,it does get worse.

"• It may be reasonable to triage COVID-19 patients according to the presence ofunderlying cardiovascular, respiratory, renal, and other chronic diseases forprioritized treatment"

Just thought I would share the information.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom