Not open for further replies.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Breaking News from CNN:

"Trump's Russia connection arranged the Corona Virus outbreak through China in an attempt to allow Trump to declare a State of Emergency and postpone the November elections indefinitely."

Adam Schiff claims to have 8,000,000 pages of undeniable proof of Trump's plot to produce a vaccine and provide it only to Republicans.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    https://americanmilitarynews.com/20...ramerica&utm_campaign=alt&utm_medium=facebook

CDC walks back coronavirus panic: ‘US risk remains low’ days after saying outbreak will happen & ‘could be bad’

That's some selective phrasing on the part of the author.

The risk to most of us is low.

The risk to a few people is high, and we need to slow transmission so THOSE people can be treated.

The nursing home outbreak in Washington is a good example. How many healthcare workers are needed to care for those people? What happens if the outbreak goes throughout that area and others need a hospital?

Take the small town of Crawfordsville as an example. There are about 16,000 people. If 10% of them get infected and if 10% of those require hospitalization, that's 160 people in the hospital in a short time period. I'm quite sure the local hospital has neither the personnel nor facility to handle that. That would leave the most vulnerable people at risk of inadequate treatment.

Cancelling travel to areas of high infection may slow this enough that it's manageable and then people will claim the government overreacted (when it actually did the right thing).

Preparing to stay home is also smart, as most of us here already do anyway.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Breaking News from CNN:

"Trump's Russia connection arranged the Corona Virus outbreak through China in an attempt to allow Trump to declare a State of Emergency and postpone the November elections indefinitely."

Adam Schiff claims to have 8,000,000 pages of undeniable proof of Trump's plot to produce a vaccine and provide it only to Republicans.
    I almost forgot about the "purple" here for a moment.

I thought CNN had went full tinfoil.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    CDC walks back coronavirus panic: ‘US risk remains low’ days after saying outbreak will happen & ‘could be bad’

Hard to know what to believe from the media/government. I still have a case of N-95 mask from the forecast Bird Flu pandemic.

Much of this reminds me of the dire blizzard predictions multiple times each winter by weathermen that turn out to be two inch dustings of snow. These forecast cause a run on French Toast supplies and I end up eating grilled cheese and omelets for a week.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    Hard to know what to believe from the media/government. I still have a case of N-95 mask from the forecast Bird Flu pandemic.

Much of this reminds me of the dire blizzard predictions multiple times each winter by weathermen that turn out to be two inch dustings of snow. These forecast cause a run on French Toast supplies and I end up eating grilled cheese and omelets for a week.

Preparedness and prevention is difficult for exactly this reason. People laughed off Y2K when nothing happened, but that wasn't because everyone involved just shrugged and hoped their systems would just continue to roll on: prevention and a crapton of effort prevented what could have been a rather sticky situation.

Diseases are even more pronounced since even the richest, best prepared country on earth ultimately has to depend on its own civilian population to deal with illnesses via the usual methods of prevention i.e. not coughing on others and washing your hands. All the hype around the Bird Flu was partially just to get the public to take time out of their day to put additional prevention procedures in place. The thing that makes me takes this seriously is, ironically, the fact that the governments of the world were for the longest time trying to downplay it. "It's no worse than the flu", but apparently China just routinely welds people into their houses for the sake of The Flu 2.0? China's economy is rolling into a deadly standstill which could literally result in the overthrow of the existing government for the sake of the Flu? That doesn't make any sense.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Sam’s Club inventory observations. Had to go Thursday, Friday, and Saturday this week for work because I am surrounded by morons who got into my reserve inventory. So here is what I saw on the floor with a few items I walked by each day:

Bleach: TH) 3+ full pallets FR) 1 and a half pallets SA) one nearly empty pallet.
    Lysol Spray: full shelf all three days, appeared to be restocking, price seemed to be going up.
    Clorox Wipes: TH) 5 pallets FR) 3 pallets SA) 1 and a half pallets
    Nitrile Gloves: TH/FR) full shelf stock in all three sizes SA) limited stock on shelf
    Hand Sanitizer: TH/FR/SA) half pallet or less each day but appears to be constantly restocked. On sale each day with no rise in price which leads me to believe they have plenty in stock for the time being.

Went Saturday at lunchtime which was my first weekend trip in quite some time. Was busy with a full lot. Standing in line to check out didn’t see anything unusual in carts like people were prepping. Just essential life saving items like electronics, beer, pop tarts, cheese whiz, beach outfits...

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sam’s Club inventory observations. Had to go Thursday, Friday, and Saturday this week for work because I am surrounded by morons who got into my reserve inventory. So here is what I saw on the floor with a few items I walked by each day:

Bleach: TH) 3+ full pallets FR) 1 and a half pallets SA) one nearly empty pallet.
    Lysol Spray: full shelf all three days, appeared to be restocking, price seemed to be going up.
    Clorox Wipes: TH) 5 pallets FR) 3 pallets SA) 1 and a half pallets
    Nitrile Gloves: TH/FR) full shelf stock in all three sizes SA) limited stock on shelf
    Hand Sanitizer: TH/FR/SA) half pallet or less each day but appears to be constantly restocked. On sale each day with no rise in price which leads me to believe they have plenty in stock for the time being.

Went Saturday at lunchtime which was my first weekend trip in quite some time. Was busy with a full lot. Standing in line to check out didn’t see anything unusual in carts like people were prepping. Just essential life saving items like electronics, beer, pop tarts, cheese whiz, beach outfits...
    Hey, don’t judge my prepping.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I’ve noticed the price of UV-C lights and negative ion generators going up significantly on Amazon. Would these be effective against the virus?

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Ordered two year supply of uv bulbs for the water and air systems at the house. While at it ordered extra filters for the furnace and water systems. They might be hard to get in the future.

Uv furnace air systems are less than 200 if you install them. Uv water are between 500 and a 1000 if you install them. With both, there are good systems and cheap systems. Don't cheap out on them. They are rated on home size or water flow. Always go the next size up when ordering.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom