Not open for further replies.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I did a search, but did not see this yet. I think Dr. Drew has a great take on this...twice:

[video=youtube_share;39A7Tr-H29E]https://youtu.be/39A7Tr-H29E[/video]

Unless he's changed his tune from the previous statement, he's missing the point.

It's not about the case fatality rate.

It's about slowing transmission so care of the most vulnerable can be managed.

The official who spoke right after Trump nailed it: we want to lower the travel to and from the most affected areas.

At this point I'm not cancelling my travel unless specific circumstances dictate it. I will cancel them if recommended by public health officials, or other factors that concern me. But it will likely require some people to stay home or avoid some events, or they are going to be indirectly responsible for those more seriously affected.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This stupid virus is so overblown. The world has lost its mind
    My biggest concern right now isn’t catching the virus. Or that we’re going to run out of water, or that the power is gonna go out. It’s that people will run out to stores and empty the shelves. And then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I have to get there and stock up because people are panicking and buying stuff up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just went to Harbor Freight and bought another flashlight. And 45 gallon trash bags. I'm ready for anything now. Well, at least darkness and yard cleanup.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My biggest concern right now isn’t catching the virus. Or that we’re going to run out of water, or that the power is gonna go out. It’s that people will run out to stores and empty the shelves. And then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I have to get there and stock up because people are panicking and buying stuff up.

More evidence of the Sheep mentality of the electorate.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    just to clarify these are all drug shortages, not just those influenced by coronavirus.

For example, most antibiotic ophthalmic ointments have been in short supply for several months now.
    True. Wuhan did not go into lock down until January 23.So just over a month ago.Much of the impact has yet to be felt.

Morgan Stanley is estimating less than 33% of workers who left for the Chinese new year have actually returned to work,thus far.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/14/china-coronavirus-its-still-far-from-business-as-usual.html

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Unless he's changed his tune from the previous statement, he's missing the point.

It's not about the case fatality rate.

It's about slowing transmission so care of the most vulnerable can be managed.

So the plan is to keep people well and out of the hospital, so the sick people can get treatment.

Good plan....

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    A lot of this is simply about delaying infections. We don't have anything that will entirely prevent it. Any delays gives you more time to find solutions, more time to prepare for when it does come, more time before your medical system is overwhelmed trying to help too many people. Trump shutting down travel to/from China when WHO was encouraging the exact opposite was a big piece of our low infection rate.
    The W.H.O.’s epidemic-modeling teams concluded that travel restrictions had slowed the spread of the virus outside China by two to three weeks.

For the United States, the delay was probably far greater. Air-traffic data shows that flights from China to the United States dropped much more than they did to Europe.

Luck is also a factor, as a single super-spreader can do a lot to break containment. At this other end of the spectrum, a single "Typhoid Mary" from S. Korea has resulted in 81% of her church becoming infected.
    81% Of South Korean 'End Of Days' Worshipers Test Positive For Coronavirus

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Yeah. I'm thinking her spreading so much disease was from more than simply sitting quietly in the same church. I'm curious what they did there to allow it to spread to so many. Korea has had true exponential growth in the number of cases detected largely because of her.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    A lot of this is simply about delaying infections. We don't have anything that will entirely prevent it. Any delays gives you more time to find solutions, more time to prepare for when it does come, more time before your medical system is overwhelmed trying to help too many people. Trump shutting down travel to/from China when WHO was encouraging the exact opposite was a big piece of our low infection rate.

Luck is also a factor, as a single super-spreader can do a lot to break containment. At this other end of the spectrum, a single "Typhoid Mary" from S. Korea has resulted in 81% of her church becoming infected.
    81% Of South Korean 'End Of Days' Worshipers Test Positive For Coronavirus

Mary, Queen of Snot?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Well, prepping is short for 'preparing ahead of time'. Just sayin'

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom