• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Didn't read all the pages but there actually is a law about aiding a police officer.

IC 35-44.1-3-3
    Refusal to aid an officer
    Sec. 3. A person who, when ordered by a law enforcement officer to assist the officer in the execution of the officer's duties, knowingly or intentionally, and without a reasonable cause, refuses to assist commits refusal to aid an officer, a Class B misdemeanor.

It doesn't seem like the officer directly ordered him, so it wouldn't apply. I have been on a ride along where someone had a warrant for their arrest and it was failure to appear for this charge.

"reasonable cause" covers enough area to drive a whole Army squadron through it in the case of assisting an officer against a criminal attack.

Never pass muster at the Supreme Court, either Indiana or SCOTUS.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I am glad you posted this. I actually had forgotten about this statute.

All the cowards who would slink away instead of doing their duty for their fellow man and a sworn Police Officer might have to face the legal consequences of this decision.:cool:

Not that you're judgmental or anything, of course.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Lucky for you that there aren't any laws that say I can be arrested for refusing to help someone who wasn't a cop. Must be nice to have the luxury of deciding who you will or won't help when the time comes.

Frank, I have previously posted that I would gladly help anyone in need. The law is stupid because people are taught every day that they need to just let the police do their jobs.

So, we have a law stating one thing while the ignorant populace is being told something else.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Frank, I have previously posted that I would gladly help anyone in need. The law is stupid because people are taught every day that they need to just let the police do their jobs.

So, we have a law stating one thing while the ignorant populace is being told something else.

People are told to let the police do their jobs when it comes to putting themselves in harms way to retrieve property, apprehend a criminal, or stop a robbery. To my knowledge no one has ever been told to mind their own business when a cop is getting the **** kicked out of them or on the losing end of a gun battle. But you interpret it however you want to, and hopefully you won't ever be put in the position where you have to make that decision.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    People are told to let the police do their jobs when it comes to putting themselves in harms way to retrieve property, apprehend a criminal, or stop a robbery. To my knowledge no one has ever been told to mind their own business when a cop is getting the **** kicked out of them or on the losing end of a gun battle. But you interpret it however you want to, and hopefully you won't ever be put in the position where you have to make that decision.

Already made mind up, but I really do not expect most people to have the same mindset as the people I talk too on a regular basis, I fully expect at least half of them to run like the wind or cower in fear.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Lucky for you that there aren't any laws that say I can be arrested for refusing to help someone who wasn't a cop. Must be nice to have the luxury of deciding who you will or won't help when the time comes.

When I sold insurance I knew in advance before I got my license that it was my job to sell insurance to people who needed it. Whining about other people not selling insurance when it wasn't their job to do so would have marked me, rightfully so, as a whiner.

Yes, it's nice being able to "decide." It's called "freedom."

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    People are told to let the police do their jobs when it comes to putting themselves in harms way to retrieve property, apprehend a criminal, or stop a robbery.

Yes, they are told that even when everyone knows the nearest cop is anywhere from a block to ten miles away and are not quite going to be able to "do their jobs".

Consistency is what some of us are asking for here. You stating that inconsistency is what we have to live with is not going to be persuasive. Insulting the public is not very persuasive either.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    When I sold insurance I knew in advance before I got my license that it was my job to sell insurance to people who needed it. Whining about other people not selling insurance when it wasn't their job to do so would have marked me, rightfully so, as a whiner.

So much for having a mature discussion. Let me know when you are done calling names and I'll respond appropriately.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think what part of the problem is Frank, is people are being taught at a Young age to not help out, instead get a good description of the person(s) or problem, and call 911 and let either the Police or the Fire Department handle it. Case in point, I just got through unprogramming my Nephew, on the fact that yes, your indeed to allowed to put out a Fire, instead of calling 911 and standing there watching it grow tot he point that you can do nothing until the Fire Department gets there...

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    I think what part of the problem is Frank, is people are being taught at a Young age to not help out, instead get a good description of the person(s) or problem, and call 911 and let either the Police or the Fire Department handle it. Case in point, I just got through unprogramming my Nephew, on the fact that yes, your indeed to allowed to put out a Fire, instead of calling 911 and standing there watching it grow tot he point that you can do nothing until the Fire Department gets there...

I would have to agree that this has A LOT to do with it, the degrading of society. But most people on this board just can't get past HATING the police, not enough to even help!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If I ever see anyone kicking Frank's ass, I'll come help Frank out.

Hopefully it never comes to that, but if it does I would appreciate the help. I know you won't be one of the ones to just stand idly by.

It isn't just cops and firefighters that may be teaching that. Too many people have an "I don't want to get involved" attitude and will wait until a situation gets entirely out of hand before they do something about it or call for help.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I wonder if someone refusing to get me coffee and donuts would fall under the above statute. From what I hear, coffee and donuts are part of my duties.

Top Bottom