• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I spoke directly with my congressman today. He seemed less than enthusiastic about it. He's part of the old guard, so I suppose that's to be expected, but not accepted.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This bill needs to be passed, even if it takes years and many attempts. Same goes for Sunday sales for alcohol, suppressors.

While I agree with you, I find it hard to believe that if it can't even get to a vote under supposedly good conditions, it isn't likely to happen ever.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Improving our ability to lawfully exercise our natural rights HAS taken many years and many attempts. Unfortunately, when we get anti-rights rectal orifices as committee chairmen, we, the people, lose.

This bill needs to be passed, even if it takes years and many attempts. Same goes for Sunday sales for alcohol, suppressors.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Simple. We are less important to them than insects.

If House Bill 1243 makes it to a vote and 1056 does not, I think it's time to throw some people out!

Forgive me... I'm sure they have their reasons... but why are they wasting their time with the following???
    House Bill 1243: "Say's Firefly designated as state insect. Designates Pyractomena angulata, also known as "Say's Firefly", as the official state insect of Indiana."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Simple. We are less important to them than insects.

Truth, succinctly phrased. The only solution I can see is to protect the good examples in the legislature, few as they may be, while kicking a lot of people to the curb. If they had a 51/49 split rather than a supermajority, I am guessing they would become a lot more humble and compliant in a hurry.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just spoke to Rep. Lucas' and Chairman Dermody's offices (twice now for Dermody). The assistant just told me there is still a chance HB 1055 and HB 1056 could still get hearings.

CALL, DAMNIT!!

WRITE, DAMNIT!!

GET OTHERS TO DO THE SAME!!

I'm thinking a Statehouse rally is in order ASAP.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I also emailed and posted comments in Greg Garrison's blog urging him to mention this on-air and I've been trying to call in but no answer because Gov. Pence is on right now. I'll keep trying.

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I just spoke to Rep. Lucas' and Chairman Dermody's offices (twice now for Dermody). The assistant just told me there is still a chance HB 1055 and HB 1056 could still get hearings.

CALL, DAMNIT!!

WRITE, DAMNIT!!

GET OTHERS TO DO THE SAME!!

I'm thinking a Statehouse rally is in order ASAP.

Make it on any day other than a Wednesday or Saturday and I'm there.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    We still have 4 days next week and Monday / Tuesday the following for hearings.
    Never give up; but we have to get new voices to call.

and yes I've been absent; vacation ("WORST EVER") was not by choice ... not worth the details here.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I listened to a state senator from southern IN on WOWO radio last Friday and, according to him, if the House and Senate pass it...the Gov will sign it!

I think it's interesting to watch, these past 7 years, that as the more the feds 'clamp-down' on gun 'control'...the more the states do to 'allow' individuals the freedom to protect themselves!

This is the exact reason the majority of governing must come from the state, not the feds.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Given that any other governor who actually wants something can get it put to a vote, my guess is that he wants us to believe he supports it while in reality wanting it to disappear without his having do deal with it. It would be much like me telling you that I would vote for you for senator while having the leverage to have you put on the ballot and not doing it. I have a hard time believing in what is becoming the standard Pence excuse of being a helpless passenger in his own life.

I have it on good record, he really is pretty helpless. Daniels got through his agenda for one major reason, he would take half of what he wanted and give the Democrats half of what they wanted rather than bow to his majority in the statehouse. The legislature went along with him because they knew he would cut a deal with the Dems and give them some semblance of victory. Once they got a supermajority, they went bonkers because there was nothing they couldn't do.

As for 1056, I also heard that it will die because of the lack of reciprocity with other states (the whole we have a LTCH, why do we need CC? argument). :(

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have it on good record, he really is pretty helpless. Daniels got through his agenda for one major reason, he would take half of what he wanted and give the Democrats half of what they wanted rather than bow to his majority in the statehouse. The legislature went along with him because they knew he would cut a deal with the Dems and give them some semblance of victory. Once they got a supermajority, they went bonkers because there was nothing they couldn't do.

As for 1056, I also heard that it will die because of the lack of reciprocity with other states (the whole we have a LTCH, why do we need CC? argument). :(

This raises some questions...

First, if he really is that helpless, then why is he putting so much effort into remaining in a position of doing nothing but keeping a chair warm?

Second, why does he not even make an attempt to encourage legislation to move? This comes with the corollary that if he doesn't, then what good is he to us?

Third, the reciprocity argument is entirely spurious. How hard can it be to continue making the same LTCH available as it now is, simply not requiring one as a condition of carrying without facing charges? That is the stupidest argument I have heard all week (please note that the criticism is directed at the legislature as I understand you are merely conveying the information).

This leads me to the conclusion that it isn't going to happen because they damned well don't want to do it. It also tells me that there will be at least one vote shifting in November. I told my own rep, Dermody, Bosma, and Pence that this was the cost of my continuing to vote R for state offices. I wasn't joking.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    I was listening to a Texas based radio personality earlier this month, and he was talking about the Texas open carry law that went into effect Jan 1st of this year.

He made the claim that the law came about because Texans were already allowed to open carry long arms without a permit, much like Hoosiers are, and that there were citizens who exercised that right, carrying said long arms in restaurants, in coffee shops, in grocery stores, etc. Legislators deduced that gun carriers would rather carry handguns out in public than long guns, and it would cause fewer headaches in general (i.e. police getting calls about lawful exercising of gun rights) by going ahead and passing the open carry legislation.

That is a pretty logical train of thought. My point of bringing it up is that all the calls and letters to the state representatives are a noble effort, but I think it is also somewhat naive. We'll never know all of the tricks they play in their smoke filled rooms as to how a bill gets advanced or gets crushed. For the most part, politicians react to something that is happening in the public sphere. I personally believe that we should take Indiana's Constitutional Carry to the public sphere. More long arm/open carry rallys are needed. Dont get me wrong, some of the videos Ive seen of a group of fat guys in tactical gear at Starbucks make me cringe too, but damnit, they are exercising their rights and deserve some support. There has to be a way to approach it without looking like tools and freaking a bunch of people out.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I was listening to a Texas based radio personality earlier this month, and he was talking about the Texas open carry law that went into effect Jan 1st of this year.

He made the claim that the law came about because Texans were already allowed to open carry long arms without a permit, much like Hoosiers are, and that there were citizens who exercised that right, carrying said long arms in restaurants, in coffee shops, in grocery stores, etc. Legislators deduced that gun carriers would rather carry handguns out in public than long guns, and it would cause fewer headaches in general (i.e. police getting calls about lawful exercising of gun rights) by going ahead and passing the open carry legislation.

That is a pretty logical train of thought. My point of bringing it up is that all the calls and letters to the state representatives are a noble effort, but I think it is also somewhat naive. We'll never know all of the tricks they play in their smoke filled rooms as to how a bill gets advanced or gets crushed. For the most part, politicians react to something that is happening in the public sphere. I personally believe that we should take Indiana's Constitutional Carry to the public sphere. More long arm/open carry rallys are needed. Dont get me wrong, some of the videos Ive seen of a group of fat guys in tactical gear at Starbucks make me cringe too, but damnit, they are exercising their rights and deserve some support. There has to be a way to approach it without looking like tools and freaking a bunch of people out.

I agree that calling/writing/sending smoke signals doesn't seem to do a lot of good, and they generally do WTF they feel like. My e-mails were a little more pointed. I told them straight up that putting this on Pence's desk is the cost of my continuing to vote Republican. At the rate they are going, it looks like I am going to be voting for Captain Mustache in November.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Anyone arguing that clearly hasn't read 1056, since the proposed language explicitly includes a license for the purpose of reciprocity.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I honestly think most don't care. They have their little lifetime LTCHs, what good is CC to them? (Is what I'm afraid most think).

I don't think it's a matter of fear but more of "I got mine, I don't care about CC".

Yeah, maybe that's it. But that or not, it's a relatively small segment that cares about constitutional carry. The Fudds certainly don't care for the idea.

What do you see happening if Pence loses to Gregg? As it is, it seems pretty clear that Pence does not want to see these bills on his desk, but would prefer for us to believe otherwise, therefore leaving it to Dermody to drop them down a black hole. Take this in conjunction with the elaborate ruse the state GOP leadership has put into furthering the homosexual agenda while maintaining the illusion for the base's benefit of having been dragged kicking and screaming into it, and I really wonder if there is any difference other than the lip service.

The guys at Pence's table at the 1500 told me he'd sign 1056 if it made it to his desk. BS? Maybe...

Yeah, I think Pence is [STRIKE]P****[/STRIKE] gaystopo whipped from the RFRA fiasco. I think he wants to stay out of the news for signing controversial legislation. So tell Bosma to keep a lid on it. Meanwhile he tells Hosiers, hey, I got your back.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Thursday is the deadline to get a committee vote on this. If it's not brought up by then it's DOA. If you haven't called or written your reps yet then now would be the time.

Top Bottom