• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Stamped and stained is the way to go. And something to remember, every load of cement comes with a crack, but you can deal with that. Make it plenty thick, and rebar is your friend. I don't care if it is just a patio, it's cheap insurance. Just last fall, I had to tear out and re pour a large slab that was put in in 2000. It's an industrial setting and I recommended that it be 24" thick back them. At that time, it would have costed about an extra $1200 in cement. But then, 14 years later, we had to shut the whole place down, cut out a 20'x30 slab, dig it out and make it what it should have been to start with. We did do it at the same time as some other work that we were shut down for, but it did ad a fair amount of down time.

It ended up costing WAY more to fin then doing it right in the first place. Make it 6" thick, chuck some wire and 1/2" rebar in there and ull be happy with it. It may still crack but it will stay together.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    My company does paver patios. We have a booth at the flower and patio show. Our hardscape guy is one of the best around. If you are interested pm me and I'll get you the info.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    We put in a large paver patio with lights , swings, pillars. One thing to keep in mind like. Not all pavers are created equal. We used Hessit pavers. They were not cheap but look beautiful and are solid. There is some maintenance involved with sanding it occasionally which is no big deal. I can send some pics if interested

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I think one of the problems you see with residential concrete is a lack of rebar. My neighbor is a "builder", he's done a couple of jobs for me and I wasn't impressed. He'll not do anymore for me as I can do it myself with similar results. Anyhoo he doesn't use rebar because "you don't need it with fiber reinforced concrete". Bull cookies!!! I poured a 12x12 pad for a hot tub at my ex house 14 years ago and used plenty of rebar, result. . .not one crack to this day!! My current hot tub pad and driveway, poured by said "builder", cracked all to hell! The pad is 8 years old and the driveway is 4 years old. This goes to prove my opinion that you shouldn't pay someone to do something you can do yourself, it'll never live up to your expectations!!!!

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Allright. Forget the concret. Who can build me a paver or wood patio/deck. Fishersjohn plz send me your contact. Thanks!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We just tore down a 16'x30' wood deck. It was here before we bought the property and had been neglected for several years. We are debating a slab or something slightly different. We are thinking about using something like 6x6 timbers to build a retaining wall like structure and back fill with crushed stone of some sort and compact it so the top layer is somewhat smooth. We haven't finalized any plans though. I know we are not doing another deck though.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Top Bottom