• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbo Kern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    I'm sure that, like any reasonable man, you have considered your options.

What unique scenario do you find yourself in where the small of the back is the best option? Do you drive much? You will find your gun choices limited by the few SOTB holsters on the market.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What is the best concealed carry? Looking for small of the back concealed.

Smith and Wesson 3913.

If you need more amo then a Glock 19. You'll probably need twice the amo to hit the same thing since the Glock has a trigger like you are trying to bend a nail.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I'm sure that, like any reasonable man, you have considered your options.

What unique scenario do you find yourself in where the small of the back is the best option? Do you drive much? You will find your gun choices limited by the few SOTB holsters on the market.
    SOTB can be pretty effective. Say someone comes up and askes you for your wallet they have a gun or knife pointed at you. you calmly reach back as if for your wallet and meet them with a gun in the face. I carried that way for a long time. and it was comfortable and easy to draw from.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    .380 ammo is a little more expensive but, have you considered back pocket carry instead of small of back? I would go with a KelTec P3AT or a Ruger LCP in a Desantis pocket holster before small of back carry...

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Choice of caliber has lots of considerations. In cool weather I alternate between two 9mm pistols; Kahr CW9 and S&W 906. Both fit nicely between 5 & 6.

I like the Bersa .380 CC for hot weather. It's smaller and with the right ammunition, Cor-Bon JHP, it is just a deadly as a 9mm. Of course, a lot of that has to do with confidence in shot placement, and I can put 9 shots exactly where I want'em. If it is either, or, go with a 9mm; bigger is always better.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    i have carried a 9mm and a .380.... I like my LCP because I can put it in any pocket or IWB or OWB and no one is the wiser... plus it shoots well and seems to put holes in the target just the same as a 9mm

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Lighter is better

I carry a Ruger LCP with a CT laser sight in a pocket holster and it is a pleasure to carry. If your gun is not comfortable you won't carry as much. Choose what works for you and don't listen to people who say you need to carry a 45acp or nothing. :twocents:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    9mm is easy to ccw why not?

With Small of Back here are the downsides:
    1) when sitting, your gun is completely out of reach
    2) when drawing, you will cover more of your body (even if you aren't trying) with the muzzle
    3) if having to draw weak handed, you'll find it more difficult to get a good fighting grip on the gun and get it out of the holster
    4) if you fall down onto your back, you could injure your spine.
    5) having a SOB gun is harder to defend from take aways
    6) every time you bend forward at the waist, you will print badly

I would not do it. But if you do, train that way all the time. That means not showing up at the range with you OWB holster at 3 o'clock because its faster and easier.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I carry the Kel-Tec p3at for summer..............If I had a redo I'd take the pf9 and stay in the 9mm caliber. I carry a G19 in cooler weather.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Walther makes their PPS Slim in .40 S&W. If you're looking for a 'thin' pistol to carry SOB, you now have an option to carry something a bit harder-hitting than a 9mm, unless you're wanting a 9mm, then you still have a slim-line pistol for carry.

Personally, I do not consider a .380 a good carry round for Personal Defense...even my wife figured that one out on her own. 9mm, with CorBon, yes, but ligher 9mm will bounce off of stuff if you're needing to penetrate it to defend yourself (such as a automobile windshield, door panels, etc.), whereas .40 will penetrate as will a .357 mag. :draw:

Again, as stated previous, consider your purpose/intent for SOB carry, and choose accordingly. And remember, in a shoot-out, no one 'takes their time' and gets good shot placement...that's in the movies! You can get lucky, or you can get dead. A heavier caliber that creates a bigger wound pattern in a not-so-'center-mass' fast-paced shooting situation, might be something to think about, especially in the .40 or bigger range. Just a suggestion, not a have to...you are the best judge of what your needs are and how to go about meeting them.

Have you been to a big gun shop and looked around at their options, had them lay their guns out side-by-side for you to compare? Visualization + hand-held can make a big difference in the selection of your weapon. :twocents:

Good luck and let us know what you selected and how it's going! :D

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    but ligher 9mm will bounce off of stuff if you're needing to penetrate it to defend yourself (such as a automobile windshield, door panels, etc.), whereas .40 will penetrate as will a .357 mag.

In our training 9mm has zipped right through both door panels, hoods, trunks and glass with no problems.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    9mm, with CorBon, yes, but ligher 9mm will bounce off of stuff if you're needing to penetrate it to defend yourself (such as a automobile windshield, door panels, etc.), whereas .40 will penetrate as will a .357 mag. :draw:

Here we go..... :popcorn:

Will you let me shoot at you with 115gr 9mm while you sit in the passenger seat of a car? :D

Top Bottom