• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Regardless of his certified Navy Seal marketing strategy, little of what has been discussed here gets to the worth of the class or the efficacy of the techniques taught.

<redacted>

That's probably because none of us have taken the course and so can't really comment on that in any reasonable, intelligent way.

But he does say...

This is not a 'knife self-defense' course ...

Last edited:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I don't intend to speak for the OP (original poster if you read this Mauri...they mean you when they type "op.") but the video looked like it was largely based on FMA styles. I think pekiti, kali, etc are in that vein. My knowledge of these systems is limited and I'll only make one statement. These are some of the most effective "knife fighting" systems out there...but require a large amount of time invested. If I were to decide to learn "knife fighting" I would want to be learning from a qualified FMA knife instructor a couple times a week. In a period measured in years (not hours, days, or months) I would feel like I knew what I was doing.

I would liken it to a woman going to a women's self defense class and learning "kickboxing." A woman could certainly learn how to fight, but not in a 4 hour class. It takes a significant time investment and hard work. The OP sounds like a legit instructor with solid skills to teach, but FMA methods are not simple. You could learn a few techniques quickly but without the years of experience it may be of little use.

Its my personal belief that a knife fighting course is of little use when taught over a few hours. If given the proper time and dedication it could be very useful. If I went to a four hour knife course I would want to be taught one or two principals (not techniques) then practice those over the course of a few hours to fine-tune the application with the instructor giving tips on best practices.

The same with grappling. If I wanted to devote 4 hours a week I'd go to a real BJJ school and learn from an instructor and become very good over a long period. If I went to a 1-day class on ground fighting, I'd want him to explain how to use your legs for guard, how to move on the ground (hip escapes, bridges), how to turn into the opponent, and how to use posture to escape. That's it...then we drill the **** out of it. You simply can't assimilate that much info in a seminar format. If someone were to show you 20 bjj techniques it might be impressive but you'd leave only knowing what is possible and without any new skills.

It sounds like the OP is being honest about the content of the class and potential students have the information they need to choose whether to go or not. I'm not sure about the Seals comment as I'm not that familiar with how that all works.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    I can't speak for this person or his credentials but I will say that there is a difference between knife fighting and using a knife to survive a lethal force threat. I have a FMA background and like many have already mentioned, FMA isn't something that can be learned in a weekend course and then used effectively. Like most martial arts, it requires years of dedicated training. Even then you may find that there are some things taught that don't translate well to real altercations. There is also a tendency to make things more complicated than they need to be.

Something else that I have learned over the years of training in FMA systems, many often overlook the legal aspects of using knives in self-defense. I agree that military knife tactics are often applicable in self-defense, as long as it's a lethal force encounter. However, the thin line between military and civilian application must be stressed.

Just my thoughts.

Steve

pingme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    This is the response provided on my facebook: I have never claimed to be a SEAL, throughout the country PFS is deeply rooted in training numerous agencies and military teams/personnel and has been since the '80s. The programs we use to this day have been developed specifically with them in mind. As you can see from my videos and pics I currently train various military, and the list is growing. But more importantly I train everyday people who desire these same tech we teach the military and their reason is their own. I do not train SEAL teams nor have I made that claim, I do claim to have aided in enhancing those PFS programs which are still taught today to the aforementioned. Paul Vunak pioneered this with SEAL Tm 6 and continues today in CA. I have been personally trained by him and as a Full Instructor and his Director I assure you these programs are in place throughout the military. I know this because I am in the process of teaching this program to Navy MAs, Sea Bees, Army Airborne and Ranger units. You may have been confused by the title of the certificate, I have explained this in the open forum where you choose to start this exchange. This particular cert has been designed to only teach select portions of PFS' military program. My shooting instruction portion that you are interested in originates with the Army Infantry, then continues onto personal training by Govt contractors whose sole mission is to train other Govt shooters, SEALS, Rangers, and Marines. I continue to train/shoot with these individuals as well. I am not a NRA shooter, nor do I have the desire or even made the claim. Good programs out there but this is not my interest.

Furthermore I do not claim to cert you in any special ninja techniques (luv that), at least no more of a cert than what you get at any type of your shooting, combative or bjj training. If one desires to be ranked within PFS they must posses particular PFS certs, this is such the case.

If you dont train with me, thats fine.. then train somewhere else,, at some point you must quit talking and get on the mat.

I do not determine or argue who is better or best, the people who you train will do that for you; your apprentices will speak louder than you can ever speak. I will also reserve any future como which are more appropriately aligned to this training.

pingme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Refreshing input JD and szorn. This is FMA based, and the content we cover is foundational as well as meant to be learned very quickly. This is because military personnel do not have the yrs to train.. as you mentioned. Valid pt.

You will recognize our approach of defanging, zoning, distance, etc.... all vs a large collection of tech. That approach is fine also but I feel it takes much longer.

Most ppl think a workshop, seminar, whatever is the phd program*** wrong! It is only the beginning.

thank you!

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    I train with Mauri. Trust me when I say he is the real deal for street combatives. If you are interested in combatives (weapon or empty hand), do yourself a favor and give him a call. You won't be dissapointed. I had no clue he was on this website until this evening. So this post is all on my own. I would not be waisting my time or your time if he wasn't the real deal.

Kevin

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Thanks for the clarification Mauri. I think everyone is quick to dogpile anyone mentioning Seals and although sometimes it is well deserved, it isn't always. It looks like at the very least you are slow to anger and willing to talk about different methods and describe your own. I personally wish you the best with your classes.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Mauri, can you please answer my questions? Your FB says that the program was designed for SEAL TEAM 6, have you trained any SEAL Teams and if so then which teams? These questions may not be of interest to some, but as a veteran they are to me. For the record the closest I ever got to being commando was not wearing underwear? But I don't make any claims to the contrary.

Hoosierfishing, what is your background, who else have you trained with in combatives to state anyone is the "real deal", just asking.

- George

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    George, I'm just a scrub who enjoys training. To answer your question, Ive trained with various people through Department of Corrections/LEO (beyond the force continuem), MMA, Judo, various forms of grappling, However, my opinion isn't based on who Ive trained with so much as what I have seen, which I won't get into. But again, I'm just a average dude that sometimes can't chew gum and walk straight, so take this for whatever you think its work. Keep Training hard George. :rockwoot:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Not trying to be a PITA but the instruction may be awesome, the source has an integrity issue. I have joined forums just to answer questions and he can not be bothered answering them in his own threads.- George

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    FYI, he was here 35 minutes ago. Remember, this thread is not about someone posting an opinion, he is offering training to defend your life.- George

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    George, what's up with this? He's apparently answered the question good enough for everyone but you. Do you have some personal history with this guy? It seems like you're bird-dogging this just for argument's sake. I've got plenty of information from Mauri in this thread to make my decision to train with him or not...and it would appear that everyone else is in the same boat...except for you.

I can think of a few junk trainers milling around here that are much more deserving of some serious scorn. This guy is just getting going on INGO from what I can tell. He certainly wouldn't be the first legitimate trainer to hose up the first class posting due to not knowing all the ins and outs of internet marketing. He'll either be more clear next time to avoid the heat...or he won't. I'm not sure I've seen anyone go to the lengths of looking at previous times online and tracking that. If you aren't competing with him by teaching FMA knife classes (and having trained with you I'd guess this is a correct statement) what is there to gain by continuing down this path?

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Did I miss where he answered the SEAL questions? That is all I want to know. On second thought forget it.- George

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Did I miss where he answered the SEAL questions? That is all I want to know. On second thought forget it.- George

This is the response provided on my facebook: I have never claimed to be a SEAL, throughout the country PFS is deeply rooted in training numerous agencies and military teams/personnel and has been since the '80s. The programs we use to this day have been developed specifically with them in mind. As you can see from my videos and pics I currently train various military, and the list is growing. But more importantly I train everyday people who desire these same tech we teach the military and their reason is their own. I do not train SEAL teams nor have I made that claim, I do claim to have aided in enhancing those PFS programs which are still taught today to the aforementioned. Paul Vunak pioneered this with SEAL Tm 6 and continues today in CA. I have been personally trained by him and as a Full Instructor and his Director I assure you these programs are in place throughout the military. I know this because I am in the process of teaching this program to Navy MAs, Sea Bees, Army Airborne and Ranger units. You may have been confused by the title of the certificate, I have explained this in the open forum where you choose to start this exchange. This particular cert has been designed to only teach select portions of PFS' military program. My shooting instruction portion that you are interested in originates with the Army Infantry, then continues onto personal training by Govt contractors whose sole mission is to train other Govt shooters, SEALS, Rangers, and Marines. I continue to train/shoot with these individuals as well. I am not a NRA shooter, nor do I have the desire or even made the claim. Good programs out there but this is not my interest.

Furthermore I do not claim to cert you in any special ninja techniques (luv that), at least no more of a cert than what you get at any type of your shooting, combative or bjj training. If one desires to be ranked within PFS they must posses particular PFS certs, this is such the case.

If you dont train with me, thats fine.. then train somewhere else,, at some point you must quit talking and get on the mat.

I do not determine or argue who is better or best, the people who you train will do that for you; your apprentices will speak louder than you can ever speak. I will also reserve any future como which are more appropriately aligned to this training.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Sorry brother, I did no see that, thank you for posting. Like I said, I had my answer from Don Shipley (the goto SEAL guy). Bottom line, his connection to the teams, especially SEAL team six is a friend of a friend thing at best, but it on the top of his Facebook page it says SEAL Team 6 Combat Tactics in big bold letters. It would lead you to believe that the person offering the training had trained the team or was in the teams. This is obviously not the case here.

I am former SWAT, but I do not have that at the top of my page as an attention getter. If I did, I would expect to be asked about it, and if found not to have a SWAT background I would expect to be called on it. That is the way it is in the world of professionals. As I said, if this does not matter to anyone else I am done.- George

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am former SWAT, but I do not have that at the top of my page as an attention getter. If I did, I would expect to be asked about it, and if found not to have a SWAT background I would expect to be called on it. That is the way it is in the world of professionals...

Embellishing and over advertising is something that should be exposed. I wouldn't call it a complete deal breaker, but it needs to be known as part of the trainer vetting process IMHO.

Top Bottom