• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So I've heard from a friend at Gander Mountain in Castleton that they recently brought in a pre-war Colt National Match, priced at $2400 or so. Before you go racing off to Indy's northside, it's already sold; didn't make it more than eight hours or so.

That said, it's in absolutely beautiful condition, I'd say 98% or so. It was honestly one of the prettiest 1911's I've ever seen and one of the few non-GI ponies I've ever wanted to take home. If only I had a couple thousand dollars laying around.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Gander employee who bought it (my friend) greatly urged the seller to go to an auction house or to seek out collectors who could give him the full value. The guy refused and insisted on selling it to Gander. He walked out with $1400 or so.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The Gander employee who bought it (my friend) greatly urged the seller to go to an auction house or to seek out collectors who could give him the full value. The guy refused and insisted on selling it to Gander. He walked out with $1400 or so.

He might have had it for years and paid $119.95 for it, figured he didn't want to be greedy. I'm surprised one of the employees didn't figure a way to snag it up.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    A Gold Cup does not even begin to compare to an actual Pre-war National Match Colt. Those guns were completely hand built by the top smiths at Colt. They were told to make it perfect and Colt did not care how long it took them to build it. These guns were built for the Camp Perry National Matches and Colt's reputation was on the line. Until people like Bill Wilson and Ed Brown came along nobody built 1911s like this. If it truly is a pre-war NM 2400 bucks is a steal.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    A Gold Cup does not even begin to compare to an actual Pre-war National Match Colt. Those guns were completely hand built by the top smiths at Colt. They were told to make it perfect and Colt did not care how long it took them to build it. These guns were built for the Camp Perry National Matches and Colt's reputation was on the line. Until people like Bill Wilson and Ed Brown came along nobody built 1911s like this. If it truly is a pre-war NM 2400 bucks is a steal.

I was not comparing the GC to A NM. I own both and know the difference. I was just providing information as to what I saw at another GM.:twocents:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to jump on you or your post. I just woke up and I guess I misinterpreted your post. I'll go back to sleep now.....

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to jump on you or your post. I just woke up and I guess I misinterpreted your post. I'll go back to sleep now.....

NP. Sorry if I sounded like a smart ass. Seeing things in b/w print doesn't give the tone or inflection. ;)

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Very true. I seem to have a real tendency to be interpreted as a "smart ass" on various internet forums. My wife accuses me of this all the time too. I think I got it from my old man. So we can be buddies now, right? (there I go again being a "smart ass".)

Top Bottom