• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hello INGO

A while back, I bought some colt 7rd 1911 magazines from Bradis.

After a few trips to the range, these magazines are the only ones that dont function properly out of the eleven 1911 mags that I own...even my 26 year old factory Colt magazine will feed bullet..it just wont lock the slide back anymore.

These "new" "colt" magazines wont feed ANYTHING properly...fail to feeds on SWC, FMJ ball ammo, HP's, Etc...in my colt and my Kimber.

These mags where cheap but I was hoping to be able to make them run so I tried installing a Wilson follower and spring in them and they still wont feed....Its even dificult to eject the round with my thumb out of the mag.

Anyone had this problem before?...I wondered why they where so cheap...I guess now I know.

God bless
    -Shred

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That is the first I have ever heard of factory Colt Magazines not functioning. I have also not heard of Colt factory magazines being cheap. I usually have to give about $20 each for them. Do the magazines you bought have the horse and Colt logo on them? I have seen some cheap low line magazines that had COLT stamped on the base plate in bold capital letters to identify what they fit, not who made them

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I don't use factory mags in any of my 1911's. I hate it but most of them will not function 100%. I have been using Wilson or Tripp mags for the last 10 years.

Again, I hate the fact that Colt has their name put on these cheap mags.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That is the first I have ever heard of factory Colt Magazines not functioning. I have also not heard of Colt factory magazines being cheap. I usually have to give about $20 each for them. Do the magazines you bought have the horse and Colt logo on them? I have seen some cheap low line magazines that had COLT stamped on the base plate in bold capital letters to identify what they fit, not who made them

This...

Do they have the Colt Pony on them? I have Colt mags that are 50-60yrs old that work great.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Yep...Colt mags are a dime a dozen at lots of shows. I forget how to tell the difference between imposters and the real deal, but the pony was not it. It had something to do with the decimal before the "45".
    But I don't recall if the real ones have it...or don't.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    My Kimber holds 8 OEM and my Colt holds 7 OEM.

No ponies on ANY of my Colt "marked" magazines...maybe this is the problem.

They all say COLT 45 AUTO.....even the one that came with my 27 year old Colt....?...Bogus rip-offs?

Thanks INGO

God bless
    -Shred

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Most of my box full of Colt mags have the Prancing Pony on them, some do not though. I have had the best luck with the Pony mags, Wilson, Chip McCormick and some older USGI mags. The cheap gunshow mags never work very well for me so I just avoid them altogether. Here is an article I found that might help.

1911 Magazine FAQ

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My Kimber holds 8 OEM and my Colt holds 7 OEM.

No ponies on ANY of my Colt "marked" magazines...maybe this is the problem.

They all say COLT 45 AUTO.....even the one that came with my 27 year old Colt....?...Bogus rip-offs?

Thanks INGO

God bless
    -Shred

The 1911 mags that we are selling for $9.95ea are not OEM Colt mags and we do not represent them as such. I believe they are Triple-K manufacture, but I'm not sure. We have sold a butt-ton of them and they seem to work OK in most people's pistols, but occasionally we run into a bad mag or an incompatible firearm.

If the mags don't work for you and you have your receipt, bring them back along with your gun and we can either exchange them for the same type (after checking to ensure function), or issue you a credit toward Kimber/CMC/Wilson mags or anything else in the shop.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Most of my box full of Colt mags have the Prancing Pony on them, some do not though. I have had the best luck with the Pony mags, Wilson, Chip McCormick and some older USGI mags. The cheap gunshow mags never work very well for me so I just avoid them altogether. Here is an article I found that might help.

1911 Magazine FAQ

That's real similar to the page I was looking for, except the one I saw before also included "M" (Metalform?). Some of my Colt mags are the Post WWII contract (with all the numbers on the floor plate) and some are Commercial pre-70s (just one from later on bearing the pony). That's a great link... thanks!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That's real similar to the page I was looking for, except the one I saw before also included "M" (Metalform?). Some of my Colt mags are the Post WWII contract (with all the numbers on the floor plate) and some are Commercial pre-70s (just one from later on bearing the pony). That's a great link... thanks!

You're welcome. I have a Tupperware container with about 60-70 1911 mags in it and I think I have pretty much every type made for Colt. Some Most have Ponies, some have Ponies and Letters like M, some have the USGI ASSY numbers and a very few have no markings at all. I usually get rid if the mags with just Colt 1911 or no markings at all but I test them first. Some mags need a bit of tweaking to work while others work fine just as they come. I always try all the mags I anticipate using for each gun and try to keep them together.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the mag stops locking the slide back on final round fired it is the spring. Pull it out and give it a stretch. Not a slinky spring stretch but a couple of inch's. Put it back together and it should work for you.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    No offense to Bradis, but Triple-K mags of any kind are pretty much CRAP. Stay away from them.

If you want inexpensive 1911 magazines that will work, Midway has Springfield Armory 7-rounders for $14, and Colt 7-rounders for $18.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    My stupid question follows:

Are you using them in a gun that maybe takes an 8rd mag??

8 round magazines are the same size as the 7-rounders, and I don't know of any gov't size 1911 that will not take 7-round magazines (Para's not included)

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    No offense to Bradis, but Triple-K mags of any kind are pretty much CRAP. Stay away from them.

If you want inexpensive 1911 magazines that will work, Midway has Springfield Armory 7-rounders for $14, and Colt 7-rounders for $18.

Triple K mags wouldn't even cycle in my Raven .25 I *used* to own without modification.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Oh well...chock it up as a lesson learned.

If Im buying new mags theyre gonna be:
    - Mec-gars
    - Chip McCormick

I dont blame Bradis, I was just hoping I could make them run with a wilson kit.

Thanks for all the input.

God bless
    -Shred

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    8 round magazines are the same size as the 7-rounders, and I don't know of any gov't size 1911 that will not take 7-round magazines (Para's not included)

What?! Um...dude. Take a 7rd mag from an officer's and put it (EMPTY) in a Government model and tell me if the slide locks when you pull it fully rearward.
    If the mag don't fit, then you must quit.

Edit; Just took one of my 7rd mags from my Kimber Ultra Carry II and popped it into the 5" Springfield ...NO GO. Tried it in the 5" Sig... NO GO.

2nd Edit;
    Just for good measure, I tried it in the RIA midsize and the ATI FX45GI, too. SAME result.

The 7rd does not even seat well enough for the mag release to work unassisted... in anything but the officers sized frame.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom