• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would get the Colt....name and resale value are higher...I would also go for the full.223 version(if you have the scratch). If you get the dedicated .22lr I don't believe they can be converted to other calibers by exchanging the uppers.

I got the Colt in .223 and recently bought a .22lr upper for it...now I have the best of both worlds for only about $1,000:): more than buying the dedicated .22lr:ar15:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Don't own either, but have handled and sold plenty of both. My vote would be for the S&W, hands down. Lower initial cost, more AR compatible in terms of parts (can use AR trigger groups, pistol grips and stock bodies w/o modification), and a more AR-like manual of arms (all controls function exactly like the real deal).

I'm not wild about the extensive use of polymers throughout (specifically in the upper receiver, "buffer tube" and railed forearm), or about the non-threaded barrel (I understand S&W will start to offer a factory threaded version next year), but durability and reliability seem to be quite good.

My :twocents:

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Dont own either one, yet after alot of reading of reviews online and looking at them both, the S&W hands down! The earlier models had extractor issues, however I believe that has been taking care of.

Another option would be the Sig 522-reviews are very promising....

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    My :twocents:. Do not buy the dedicated colt .22. This thing was built by umarex (sp) and they were allowed to put colts name on it, don't ask me why colt did this :dunno:. For a dedicated .22 in AR style I would go with the SW 15-22. The SW 15-22 actually has a working bolt catch and the bolt holds back on the last round fired, the colt does not.

Now if you already have a AR in 223/5.56 you could get a dedicated upper from Spikes Tactical which is what I did. Runs like a top and will destroy a box of federal bulk pack in no time :ar15:. It won't stop there though as once you have have the upper after a while you will tell yourself that you need another lower to have two complete rifles :D.

The other option is the time tested ruger 10/22. They make some kits for this to make it look a little more like an AR. I also see that Ruger has a new .22 AR out, looks interesting.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The other option is the time tested ruger 10/22. They make some kits for this to make it look a little more like an AR. I also see that Ruger has a new .22 AR out, looks interesting.

Ruger's SR-22 is nothing more than a 10/22 action with one of the aforementioned kits installed from the factory.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    Thanks for the information! I currently own a LWRC .223 so I'm not really sure about utilizing a .22lr upper. Does LWRC make one? I assume I could use any manufacturer but would this void my warranty? Since it's gas piston operated then a .22lr drop in conversion wont really work. I was looking for something in a AR style platform for training purposes to save some money on ammo. I did hear that most were recommending the S&W though.

Guy9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Marion
    I have a Smith. No problems, but if you can get me extra mags, let me know.

I chose the Smith over the Colt because of the 90 degree safety.

I got my mags at 21st. Century, they still had a few.

Also some info that helped me decide, was reading the free S&W magazine you get at gun shops. They talked about a dedicated .22 vs. a .233 AR converted to a .22. Very interesting stuff they say about the conversion.:twocents:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Spasmo and I are eyeing the S&W over the Colt. She really likes the weight and the fact that it more closely mimics the feel of our AR-15. It's also cheaper than the Colt, and rumor has it that there will be a threaded version coming out soon.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Thanks for the information! I currently own a LWRC .223 so I'm not really sure about utilizing a .22lr upper. Does LWRC make one? I assume I could use any manufacturer but would this void my warranty? Since it's gas piston operated then a .22lr drop in conversion wont really work. I was looking for something in a AR style platform for training purposes to save some money on ammo. I did hear that most were recommending the S&W though.

I have a complete Spikes Dedicated upper. Push two pins and drop the new upper on. With that being said as cheap as lowers are right now if you did get a dedicated .22 upper you will more than likely end up getting another lower and just making it a dedicated .22 rig.

soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I second the Sig 522. I love mine. So far it has been very reliable and it is also in the same price range as the colt or S&W.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    S&W 15-22 Magazines

Apparently the magazines are starting to show up in numbers now. I really like the loading assist buttons on the sides of these mags. I wish my Black Dog Machine mags that I have for my Tactical Solutions 22 upper had them. As I wrote in another thread, I was completely impressed with the S&W 15-22. I also looked at the Colt but noticed that the barrel is actually in a sleeve that you tighten when you screw on the flash hider. I like my rifles suppressed and I don't know how you could do that with the barrel sleeve on and make it look good.

protongun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    have the colt, have put many many rounds through it without any trouble. Have never shot the smith but did handle one yesterday at a store and thought it felt a little more cheaper than the colt. my :twocents:

zstep7

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    West Indianapolis
    I'm slowly but surely building my collection of firearms. I recently bought a M&P .45 and love it. I like the M&P and would think that the 22 would be a good addition to the collection. I will keep an eye on the forums and get a few more opinions and hopefully purchase one soon.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Im still a fan of the 10/22 over a 22lr AR. But that said ive heard a lot of bad about the Colt, and ive heard a lot of good on the S&W. I had a Spikes dedicated 22lr upper and have to say ive your heart is set on a 22lr AR-15 then the Spikes in the only way to go. It ran good with hotter ammo, plenty accurate, and felt just like a real AR (in part because it was). Spikes would definitely be the way to go if I had to do it again.

Top Bottom