• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I picked this little gem up just the other day. Haven't got to shoot it yet, still gathering the needed equipment. . She is a Colt 1860 2nd generation 44 cal. Just thought I would post some pictures of her until then. Anyone else here own one? Pictures? These 1860's are just plain sexy. :) Hope you all enjoy

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Great BP revolvers, hunt around and you should be able to scare up an attachable stock. Issued to the US cavalry they were never popular as troopers just carried an extra gun in place of the weight of the stock.

bpstkclt.jpg

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Very nice! Has it been shot? If not, it might be worth buying a repro,and keeping the Colt as a collectors piece.
    I believe it has been shot, but from what I can tell not much. I am just going by some small marks on the cylinder. Guess I never asked the guy I got it from.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have a 2nd Gen Colt 1860 too. Here is a pic
    View attachment 361539
    Do you intend on shooting yours? I plan to shoot mine. It has been suggested I not to keeep it for collector reasons. However I tend to shoot everything I own. BTW VERY nice Colt. Thanks for posting photos. To me BP revolvers just have a certain look that black plastic handguns do not posess. :)

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I don't have a blued1860 but do have a pair of Stainless 1860 2nd gen Colts. I also have 4 Navy 1851 2nd gen Colts that were my main match guns in SASS for 25 years.
    " Navy 1851 2nd gen Colts" One of those is on my "to get next" list. I have a original civil war Union Army powder flask for a Colt 1851 that was handed down from my Great, Great, Great Uncle who fought. It would just be neat to have the gun it would have gone to. I don't shoot matches or anything, just casual plinking at the Winamac FWA range.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    " Navy 1851 2nd gen Colts" One of those is on my "to get next" list. I have a original civil war Union Army powder flask for a Colt 1851 that was handed down from my Great, Great, Great Uncle who fought. It would just be neat to have the gun it would have gone to. I don't shoot matches or anything, just casual plinking at the Winamac FWA range.
    While not cheap you can find a real period Colt Navy to go with your flask. This one needed some help, but was priced low. After some work I got it shooting again.

navy1851.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    All I have is and old Navy Arms replica. It is old enough to not have all those black powder warnings stamped on it.

The bore looks "ify" but it does shoot well despite the visual.

There was a tray of old cylinders, both .36 and .44's at Friendship this year marked "$10 each" but I wasn't in the market for any more projects at the time...

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    All I have is and old Navy Arms replica. It is old enough to not have all those black powder warnings stamped on it.

The bore looks "ify" but it does shoot well despite the visual.

There was a tray of old cylinders, both .36 and .44's at Friendship this year marked "$10 each" but I wasn't in the market for any more projects at the time...
    I’d like to pick up a spare cylinder to play with and see how possible it is for me to make a cartridge conversion! My lathe is from 1936, so it has to be way advanced from the guys who were making them in the 1880’s; right?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I’d like to pick up a spare cylinder to play with and see how possible it is for me to make a cartridge conversion! My lathe is from 1936, so it has to be way advanced from the guys who were making them in the 1880’s; right?

I've seen Kirst conversions for the 1860 in 45 Colt, but they are 5 shot versions. There are various conversions made as conversions with .429 barrels, but you would need a heeled 44 Colt to use the 1860 barrel.

heelcon.jpg

Top Bottom