• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanWsly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St.Bernice
    Anybody had any dealings with the different grades of the rifles they offer? I'm trying to decide between the Correct and Service grade and was wondering if it was worth the extra money for the Correct grade.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Go service grade. They are better then they rate them and if you put a sticky note on your order form asking for a late one you will have a good chance of getting a correct one anyway.

The CMP is a great way to get a USGI gun, a great program and for a great cause!

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    In my past expierence with both the North Store (Port Clinton) and the South Store (Anniston), you have a better chance of getting a nicer rifle via mail order.

The way it works at the stores is that a set number of rifles are on the racks. If a rifle is sold, a new rifle is brought out and put on the rack to replace it. So what happens is that all the "dogs" set on the racks for weeks because no one wants them. Eventually they are all "dogs" and they are forced to mix them up a little. Also, don't forget that you don't have to pay shipping when picking one up but you do pay state sales tax, which you don't pay if it is shipped.

Good luck!

RyanWsly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St.Bernice
    Thanks for the help guys, if nothing else you guys probably saved me about $350, WTF can I check yours out? I know where Deadmans Hollow is.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Ryan, if you go to my profile and look at my pic album I have a few pics of my M1s. One is a Springfield Armory and the other is a Harrington and Richardson. Both are CMP service grade rifles. The Springfield came in the mail, the HRA I picked up at the south store.

Some of the service grades are coming with new stocks. My Springfield rifle came with a new Boyds stock. I like the GI stocks better.

If you want I can post some more detailed pics tomorrow.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    How does one go about getting a rifle from the CMP?
    I have often wondered about this but I never really checked it out.
    Ryan I am from St. Bernice . We have to know each other:D

My name is Jeff McCauley

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    No matter what you will be getting a much nicer rifle for MUCH less than you would at any gun show. Always a good investment.

You got that right. I've seen M1s at the 1500 that looked like they were dragged behind the truck on the way to the show for $1500. The people that try to sell you those rifles are usually the same ones who talk about the "crap" you'll get from the CMP.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    If you look, the CMP just opened back up a lot of ordering options on Garands and carbines, too. The temptation to grab more, more, more is just killin' me.

But, I digress... just wanted to share that what I sent in for documentation was a Garand Collector's Assoc. membership #, Passport scan, and a copy of my carry license.

There's also a form that needs notarizing.

Sometime after they get the order they send you a "we got your forms, don't bother us now" kind of email (yeah, I'm loosely paraphrasing) and then as soon as they get around to processing it, a nice big brown box shows up on your doorstep.

Check their list of affiliated clubs though - there's quite a number of groups in IN that qualify for a membership. I could have sworn even the Fall Creek Valley group counted but it's been a while since I looked. I went the GCA route because it's universal (I'm facing the possibility of moving soon) and it gets me another pretty cool tech rag to read every few months.

bbbas55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    i just put my order in with the cmp. i also debated with driveing up to port clinton but after reading this post im glad i didnt. im very excited about getting my order. a guy in my club that is into grarands told me the service grade is the way to go. i bought mine because i like shooting them but also that is the weapon i qualified with in 1959 when i enlisted in the army.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I seem to be missing something here. When you satisfy the requirements with club membership and shooting contests and others, can you then order your Garand from the CMP and have it directly delivered to your front door? What about an FFL location? Is one of those not required for this particular transaction? I have been thinking about one for quite some time, but the $1000+ examples found at most of the gunshops look a little to worn out for me to lay out that kind of money on something that will take some repair to make into a good shooter. I would prefer a new stock over one that has each of the separate pieces in a different color.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Once you send in the first set of forms proving eligibility, they send you the second set with a finger print card that you fill out and send back along with the proper funds. After the background checks are done they put you in line and when your turn comes up they send your rifle directly to you through the mail. At least that's the way it was when I got mine.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Once you send in the first set of forms proving eligibility, they send you the second set with a finger print card that you fill out and send back along with the proper funds. After the background checks are done they put you in line and when your turn comes up they send your rifle directly to you through the mail. At least that's the way it was when I got mine.

How long ago? They didn't do any fingerprinting when I ordered in December. You send in all the forms (some require notarizing) and documentation for eligibility and that's it.

Delivered straight to your door - no FFL needed for a CMP purchase.

Edit: also saw the comment about stocks. I recall seeing they also sold new stocks (separately). I can't recall of they were plain or CMP stamped. I know their higher grades with new stock sets already on them say they're CMP stamped.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The plus on the correct grades that nobody has mentioned is the fact that they are manufacturer correct and in some instances numbers matching rifles. My HRA didn't look like it had ever left an arms room and all of the production numbers jived for the serial number. I also bought one of their "specials", completely rebuilt, as new. I'm going to scope that one. In my case the extra 350 was worth it. Will it make a difference down the line if I were to sell it? Maybe, maybe not.

I've seen a lot of service grades that were every bit as nice as either of my rifles so it's just a matter of what you're looking for! Buy plenty of ammo though, that "ping" is addictive.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    This was several years ago when they were still the DCM. I had to send in a fingerprint card along with the second set of forms. It took about 13 months to get my M1 from the time I sent them in till the mailman brought my toy. I didn't know that they had changed the process since they became the CMP. Maybe they changed because they aren't run by the Army now.:dunno: It's nice to see that they have simplified the process. BTW, does anyone know what the prices and wait times are like now? I'll bet they are a lot more than what I paid!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This was several years ago when they were still the DCM. I had to send in a fingerprint card along with the second set of forms. It took about 13 months to get my M1 from the time I sent them in till the mailman brought my toy. I didn't know that they had changed the process since they became the CMP. Maybe they changed because they aren't run by the Army now.:dunno: It's nice to see that they have simplified the process. BTW, does anyone know what the prices and wait times are like now? I'll bet they are a lot more than what I paid!

That's right!!! Rub it in!!!!!:laugh:

Top Bottom