• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    1. is it worth the extra $100 to upgrade from field grade to service grade?
    2. does the NRA count as a "cmp affiliated club", if not, wheres somewhere cheap and easy to join so that i may fulfill this requirement?

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not sure about the the upgrade!

I'm in the same pickle. Going to get a Garand as soon as I'm able. My choice would be the service grade because it will be just a little bit better. And I plan to compete with mine when I get it. The CMP web site has all the info you need. And I belive you need to be active in a CMP club such as Wildcat in Lafayette. And be shooting matches. I have been to two clinics, and one vintaqge rifle match. Each time you do that you get a CMP certificate which is proof you are active. And I think actual membership in a club is required. I'd love to belong to Wildcat Valley rifle and Pistol Club but the distance is and issue for me. Fall Creek club has High power rifle matches, but don't know if they are a CMP club. The guys at Wildcat are great just e-mailed them with a couple of equipment questions and got good and timely answers. There are other clubs in Indiana, one in FT Wayne, and I don't know any others off hand. Good luck! :patriot:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My feild grade is a little rough (but not that bad) if your on a budget its a good gun.
    All the service grades my brother has ordered (8) are all in awsome shape and well worth the extra $100.
    As far as club affiliation, join the Garand collectors ass. its $25 a year, but they do everyones date the same sept to sept. You get a quarterly mag and some other stuff. They notify CMP on a weekly basis .after you send in your money wait a week and call Cmp and see if your name is on the list from GCA. As for proof of firearms proficency we've used our ltch

Kenny

sur+rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    Regarding #1, you might like this discussion here:

CMP Buyer's guide and other info

Basically, if you can go to one of the CMP stores and examine the barrel, field grade is a fantastic buy. If you are going to have it shipped to you, service grade is probably a better choice.

Regarding #2, No. NRA membership does not qualify. Quickest way to qualify is to go to an Appleseed shoot. Not only does this satisfy the marksmanship requirement, you can join RWVA for $20 and satisfy the membership requirement. See:

Appleseed Project Home
    RWVA Membership Only - Eventbrite

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I went over to Camp Perry and would highly recommend going over in person if you can. If you are there at the right time you can sometimes find a real buy in the field grades. Borrow the gauge from the guys at the counter and start measuring and looking them over. IMHO the service grade is usually worth the extra $100.

If you have your carry permit, that meets your activity requirement. You just have the club membership left. As has been said NRA doesn't do it, but many others do. They have a list up at the website. Many seem to like the garand collectors assn. as you get an interesting magazine.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    At the CMP N.Store you can sign up for club membership right there. GCA is about 25.00 a year an they have another club that qualify's at 14.00 a year. If ordering by mail I would recommend Service Grade....At N.Store right now they are out, an it can be hit an miss on them....my 2 Field Grades I hand picked at N.Store were very good an would of been Service Grade except for the rougher wood which made them Fields.
    Good Luck!!!

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Yes it will be worth the extra 100
    Check the CMP site for affiliated clubs you may have one in your town you can join.
    also most clubs require that you DO belong to the NRA.
    My opinion keep the money close to home.
    And you never mentioned shooting the shooting requirement.
    Have you proof of marksmanship?
    It's not supposed to be allowed, but they will accept your LTCH as that requirement
    As most states require shooting & training the CMP does not know that we do not require this in Indiana.
    Read the requirments on the web site.
    I've posted many times about this subject and I guiess should be a sticky as theese questions pop up so frequently.

at11kansan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Indy
    Membership in the American Legion or the VFW will get you a CMP Garand that's how I got mine. Currently service grade is really what field grade used to be. I got my field before this change in grade and was VERY pleased so go service grade.

bbbas55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    my application to purchase a garand from cmp was "delayed" so they returned my money. i wonder if i went to the store in person if they would sell me a garand??? im sure i meet all the requirements.
    also... i had heard that by ordering thru the mail you are likely to get a better gun because the ones in the store are picked over???

bbbas55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    i am told that its best to upgrade to the service grade. that they are typicalle in much better shape and ready for the range.
    nra wont fill the cmp club membership need.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Regarding #1, you might like this discussion here:

CMP Buyer's guide and other info

Basically, if you can go to one of the CMP stores and examine the barrel, field grade is a fantastic buy. If you are going to have it shipped to you, service grade is probably a better choice.

Regarding #2, No. NRA membership does not qualify. Quickest way to qualify is to go to an Appleseed shoot. Not only does this satisfy the marksmanship requirement, you can join RWVA for $20 and satisfy the membership requirement. See:

Appleseed Project Home
    RWVA Membership Only - Eventbrite

I've done exactly this...I've been to an Appleseed, and even joined the RWVA. What in particular do you use as a proof document that you attended an Appleseed though? I've been to a beginners high power rifle clinic that satisfies this requirement so I'm pretty good to go but it still baffles me that I really don't have any certificate or anything that really spells out that the Appleseed has been attended or completed.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ... What in particular do you use as a proof document that you attended an Appleseed though?

The shoot boss of the event you attend will fill out a marksmanship clinic certificate for those who want one. Normally, this is mentioned at the conclusion on Sunday.

Top Bottom