• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mfrobert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Hey fellow hunters, I have a quick question. Just came across tree that I want to hunt, however it has too many big branches for a climber and I don't currently own a hang-on stand. Additionally I absolutely love the added comfort of a climber for long hunts.

Have any of you ever used climbing sticks to get up into a tree and then attached your climber up in the tree?

*Note: I am stuck with using this tree, no choice to find a different one

Thanks!

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I currently use this set up. Hammer is correct it is not easy to get in and out of. I had to extend the climbing sticks well above the stand so I could access it from above. Entering and exiting from the side did not work as the stand was not stable enough. I am not recommending that anyone do this, just that I have done it with great care.

bowhunter1984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    greenfield
    I've done this just make sure u use a couple ratchet straps and you'll be fine.I would advise u have you safety vest and be tied off at all times entering and exiting!

SeaseFire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Plainfield
    I agree with others. I'd recommend just spending the $50 - $60 for a hang-on. If you don't have $50, then use ratchet straps to secure it to the tree. Remember that a climber works because of the downward force put on the front that wedges the back to the tree -- that force coming in from the side is very dangerous and can nearly guarantee you'll have stand movement upon entering and exiting. If you still decide to proceed, use a life line so you are tied off from the point you leave the ground. Indiana has already seen one hunter die up north when transition into/from a tree stand...don't be a second.

Either find a different tree to use your climber in (or saw the limbs off on your way up) or spend the money on a hangon.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I agree with others. I'd recommend just spending the $50 - $60 for a hang-on. If you don't have $50, then use ratchet straps to secure it to the tree. Remember that a climber works because of the downward force put on the front that wedges the back to the tree -- that force coming in from the side is very dangerous and can nearly guarantee you'll have stand movement upon entering and exiting. If you still decide to proceed, use a life line so you are tied off from the point you leave the ground. Indiana has already seen one hunter die up north when transition into/from a tree stand...don't be a second.

Either find a different tree to use your climber in (or saw the limbs off on your way up) or spend the money on a hangon.

+1 ...We dont need another one gone.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I still "strap-on" the top piece of my Summit when I get up to where I'm climbing. Don't like the thought of us coming loose if I bump it while standing.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    +1 ...We dont need another one gone.

I agree, use a lifeline from the point you feet leave the ground until they are back on the ground no matter what you do. If you want to read a story that will make any man tear up read this one: Tim Bowers: Parents of paralyzed Indiana hunter speak out about his decision to die | Mail Online

Happened just a few weeks ago to a guy I grew up with... it can and will happen to you or somebody you know if you don't follow safety precautions...

Top Bottom